Main Menu

Leadership Profile

Started by MIKE, March 08, 2007, 05:20:52 PM

MIKE

Mike Johnston

CAP Producer

My profile was William Tecumseh Sherman.

"Biography - William Tecumseh Sherman was one of the most controversial and successful Union generals during the Civil War. He performed well at Shiloh, Vicksburg, and the siege of Chattanooga. He captured Atlanta in one of the Civil War's most decisive campaigns. He advocated the concept of "total war" — waging war not just on the enemy's forces but on the enemy's support network. In this, he was the first modern general. He demonstrated this in his famous "March to the Sea," where his troops cut a swath of destruction through Georgia."

"Sherman was tenacious in battle, and served with Ulysses S Grant in his campaigns — including the siege of Vicksburg, where his tenacity payed off. Sherman led by initiative as much as by planning. During his "March to the Sea," he was cut off from supply lines and his troops lived off the land. Sherman was a soldier, not a diplomat. In fact, after the war, when his name was bandied about for a nomination, he said, "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve." "
AL PABON, Major, CAP

thefischNX01

I got Teddy Roosevelt.

I was going for Washington, but TR is not bad either. 

Biography:
Teddy Roosevelt was one of the most dramatic figures in American history. He was both an accomplished civilian and military leader. He captured the nation's imagination by leading the "Rough Riders" in the Spanish American war. As assistant secretary of the Navy under President William McKinley, Roosevelt vigorously worked toward a two-ocean Navy. As President, he was known for advocating environmental conservation, pro-labor policies, and expansionism.

Leadership Attributes:
Teddy Roosevelt was a man of action and preferred to lead from the front. He stunned the country when he resigned his powerful and comfortable position as assistant secretary of the Navy to establish and lead the Rough Riders in the Spanish American War. He achieved lasting fame by leading his regiment in a bold charge up Kettle Hill in the Battle of Santiago. Personally, he was upbeat and dominant. As President, he was a skilled diplomat, negotiating many issues favorable to the U.S., including Alaska's boundary with Canada. He even helped bring an end to the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905, for which he received the Nobel Peace Prize.

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

carnold1836

I LIKE IKE!!!

Biography:

Dwight Eisenhower was both a great military leader and politician. An innovative tank commander before World War II, Eisenhower was appointed to lead the invasion of North Africa as Commander of the European Theater of Operations. He was later chosen to command Operation Overlord, the invasion of Northern Europe, and later became supreme commander of the Allied forces in western Europe. After his military career, he ran for and won the Presidency.
Leadership Attributes:

An avid planner, Eisenhower worked in the army's war plans division and was known for his strong strategic and organizational skills. Eisenhower was given the position of Supreme Allied Commander partially because of his consummate diplomatic skills. He used his skills throughout the war to balance the various Allied personalities. Field Marshall Montgomery said that Eisenhower was the only one with the personality to get all of the Allies to cooperate and win the war. Personally, he was likable and outgoing. Indeed, the motto of his presidential campaign reflected this: "I like Ike."
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

FARRIER

My Profile:

Lord Horatio Nelson!

Biography:

Born to a poor family, Horatio Nelson was taken to sea by his uncle Captain Maurice Suckling, who would later become comptroller of the British Navy. From these humble beginnings, Nelson went on to become a military legend. He won a brilliant victory against the Spanish in the Battle of Cape St. Vincent. He gave the French a crushing defeat at the Battle of the Nile, which helped forestall Napoleon's ambitions. And he contributed to the victory of the Battle of Trafalgar, which kept Britain safe from future invasion by Napoleon's forces.

Leadership Attributes:

Lord Nelson was brave in battle, and believed in leading from the front. In the Battle of St. Vincent, he helped a fleet of 15 ships defeat a Spanish fleet of 27 ships. Despite his ship being seriously damaged, Nelson ordered the ship forward and personally led the boarders onto the ship, engaging in hand-to-hand combat. He then boarded a second ship later in the battle! Nelson also planned diligently and had a reputation for great intelligence. He had his sailors' and the nation's love, and was regarded as a national hero.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Psicorp

Interesting.

Biography:
Born in Clark, Missouri, Omar Bradley was the son of a schoolteacher. He attended West Point and rose through the ranks in the period between World War I and World War II. Bradley reached the apex of his career in World War II and the years immediately following. Bradley succeeded George Patton as commander of the II Corps in 1943 and led it in the Tunisia and Sicily campaigns. He commanded the 1st Army in the Normandy landings on June 6, 1944. On August 1 he assumed command of the 12th Army Group, the largest field command in US history. After the war, he became head of the Veterans Administration. He then became army chief of staff, and in 1949 he became the first chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Leadership Attributes:
Personally, Bradley was self-effacing and quiet. He was often overshadowed by the more flamboyant Patton and MacArthur — which suited Bradley just fine. But he was innovative in his conception of war. He admired William Tecumseh Sherman, and thought he was a master of battle movements. In fact, he thought Sherman was more important than the commanders of battle units in World War I.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

JohnKachenmeister

Omar Bradley!

This is a surprise to me.

Bradley was personally quiet, self-effacing, disciplined, and reserved.  I'm just about the polar opposite.

But... I suppose having the tactical disposition of Bradley and the personal disposition of George Patton is not a bad combination!

Sort of,  "Always attack aggresively, but be careful."
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: MNWG/PA on March 08, 2007, 05:58:06 PM

So was mine. Considering how little personal study I've put into that era, I don't know if it's really me or not.

Ladyhawk

I got Robert E. Lee!  Makes a certain amount of sense for a born and bred Southerner.

Biography:
Robert E. Lee was the legendary commander of the Confederate forces in the Civil War. Against overwhelming odds, Lee scored victory after victory against the Union forces led by seven different generals. Famous battles include: 2nd Bull Run, Antietam, Gettysburg, and — possibly his greatest performance — Chancellorsville. Outnumbered two to one, Lee broke with convention and divided his forces not once but twice — ultimately driving the Federal army under Joseph Hooker from the field.

Leadership Attributes:
Personally, General Lee was reserved and seemed enigmatic to his men. But on the battlefield he was daring and audacious, as at Chancellorsville, where he divided his troops in the face of greater opposing forces. His diplomatic skills were as well-honed as his generalship. For example, in his early role as presidential adviser to Jefferson Davis, he tried to ease the difficult personalities of Confederacy President Jefferson Davis and General Joseph E. Johnston.

lordmonar

Quote from: carnold1836 on March 08, 2007, 06:18:42 PM
I LIKE IKE!!!

Biography:

Dwight Eisenhower was both a great military leader and politician. An innovative tank commander before World War II, Eisenhower was appointed to lead the invasion of North Africa as Commander of the European Theater of Operations. He was later chosen to command Operation Overlord, the invasion of Northern Europe, and later became supreme commander of the Allied forces in western Europe. After his military career, he ran for and won the Presidency.
Leadership Attributes:

An avid planner, Eisenhower worked in the army's war plans division and was known for his strong strategic and organizational skills. Eisenhower was given the position of Supreme Allied Commander partially because of his consummate diplomatic skills. He used his skills throughout the war to balance the various Allied personalities. Field Marshall Montgomery said that Eisenhower was the only one with the personality to get all of the Allies to cooperate and win the war. Personally, he was likable and outgoing. Indeed, the motto of his presidential campaign reflected this: "I like Ike."

I got Ike as well.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Wesley Clark.

Biography:
Graduating from West Point at the head of his class, Wes Clark has achieved success throughout his military career. He served in Vietnam; was a key negotiator of the Dayton Peace Accords; and was head of the U.S. European Command. Clark was an Armor Officer who commanded at every level from company to division. As Supreme Allied Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, he led the 19-member alliance to victory in Kosovo — NATO's longest and most difficult military campaign.

Leadership Attributes:
Clark has had a distinguished military career. As Commander-in-Chief, United States Southern Command, Panama, he directed all U.S. forces in Latin America and the Caribbean. As the Director, Strategic Plans and Policy, J5, the Joint Staff, he was the staff officer responsible for U.S. military strategic planning. Clark is also known for considerable diplomatic prowess — he was chiefly responsible for holding together the 19-member NATO alliance in Kosovo. He was also the lead military negotiator of the Dayton Peace Accords that brought the war in the former Yugoslavia to a halt.

Chappie

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 08, 2007, 06:28:31 PM
Quote from: MNWG/PA on March 08, 2007, 05:58:06 PM

So was mine. Considering how little personal study I've put into that era, I don't know if it's really me or not.

General Sherman was my end result as well....but fortunately Chaplains do not have commands ;D  It was an interesting test though.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ColonelJack

My test turned up ... General Douglas MacArthur.

Hm.  Is that good or bad?   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Chris Jacobs

C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Monty

Quote from: Ladyhawk on March 08, 2007, 06:32:44 PM
I got Robert E. Lee!  Makes a certain amount of sense for a born and bred Southerner.

Born and raised Dixie.....but I got some New Yorker named TR.   >:(

Must be all those bad influencers I know!   :D

(TR's a good fella, and one with whom I can identify many similar traits.......)

DNall

Got a good fellow southerner in Virginian George Washington.... which like John suprised me a bit. In planning I'm not cautious, but thorough, which I think this quiz reflects, & then in action I'm aggressive with the foundation of being over-prepared. So I don't know if this is totally accurate in that sense, but interesting. I am unconventional in my thinking though... Anyway:
QuoteBiography:
George Washington was not only the first president but also an accomplished general. Against daunting odds, Washington launched a guerrilla war that lasted for six years and ultimately drove the British from the colonies. At many points during the conflict, the army was close to disintegrating. But through Washington's force of leadership, the colonists succeeded and he established a model for future American military leaders to follow.

Leadership Attributes:
General Washington was known for his cautious, measured, and highly successful generalship. Understanding that conventional war against the British was useless, he waged a well-planned guerilla campaign. He was also skilled in diplomacy, both as a politician and in his military career. He elicited French help in forcing the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. Also, he deftly negotiated the relations between military and civilian authority. Personally, the first President was reserved. But he won the love and respects of his troops — and nation.

A.Member

1.  William Tecumseh Sherman
(already posted)

or

2.  Ulysses S Grant
Biography:
Unsuccessful in civilian life, Ulysses S Grant was made for the battlefield. Grant was the military leader who defeated the Confederates and their innovative generals. After the war, he was elected President and oversaw Reconstruction in the South. He died of throat cancer — the result of a lifelong habit of cigar smoking — but completed his memoirs before his death in 1885.

Leadership Attributes:
Personally reserved, Grant was tenacious in battle. Once he set a course, he wanted to see it to its end, as in the siege of Vicksburg. He was one to seize the initiative as well. After several failed attempts to get to Vicksburg, Grant moved his army south to cross the Mississippi — during this time he was cut off from all communication and most supplies. The taking of the city on July 4, 1863, was a turning point in the war. Ulysses S Grant's nickname was "unconditional surrender" — and he trusted fighting more than diplomacy. But when opposing forces did surrender, he was usually magnanimous in their treatment.

Wouldn't it be nice of gaining leadership ability of these men were as simple as taking a 4 question quiz?  ;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

G+10

John Paul Jones for me, a Navy man eh???

floridacyclist

Looks like Comm and FEMA training aren't all we have in common; we drew the same leader too.

Wonder if all that talk about span of control is affecting our decision-making the same way? I found myself referring back to it quite a bit while mulling over the scenarios. I know that I have often used military metaphors when teaching ICS, so it's not too surprising that I would reverse the scales when asked a question about military tactics.

Quote from: arajca on March 08, 2007, 06:53:49 PM
Wesley Clark.

Biography:
Graduating from West Point at the head of his class, Wes Clark has achieved success throughout his military career. He served in Vietnam; was a key negotiator of the Dayton Peace Accords; and was head of the U.S. European Command. Clark was an Armor Officer who commanded at every level from company to division. As Supreme Allied Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, he led the 19-member alliance to victory in Kosovo — NATO's longest and most difficult military campaign.

Leadership Attributes:
Clark has had a distinguished military career. As Commander-in-Chief, United States Southern Command, Panama, he directed all U.S. forces in Latin America and the Caribbean. As the Director, Strategic Plans and Policy, J5, the Joint Staff, he was the staff officer responsible for U.S. military strategic planning. Clark is also known for considerable diplomatic prowess — he was chiefly responsible for holding together the 19-member NATO alliance in Kosovo. He was also the lead military negotiator of the Dayton Peace Accords that brought the war in the former Yugoslavia to a halt.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Ford73Diesel