Main Menu

Lock requests

Started by RiverAux, June 04, 2008, 03:20:13 AM

RiverAux

There seems to be an inordinate amount of requests to lock threads lately.  Some of these requests seem to be based on the "we've already talked about this" principle.  Just wanted to remind you that there aren't many new things under the sun and I'd be surprised if there are any CAP-related topics that haven't been talked about here in some form or fashion in the past.  I don't think there is a hard and fast rule out there about how much time should lapse before a topic can be brought up again, but lets give the new folks a bit of a break -- if it has been 6 months or more, why not let a topic start up again? 

Getting back to lock request -- Have the moderators ever shown any hesitancy in locking threads that need locking?  If anything, I think they're a little too quick on the gun sometimes, especially in regards to threads that may have gone slightly off topic.  I personally don't see it as a problem if the discussion progresses away from the main topic of the thread so long as it is still being productive and CAP-related, but then again, I don't own the board.....

So, I guess what I'm saying is that requesting thread locks can seem just a little arrogant if your only complaint is that we've supposedly talked the issue to death. 

JMO, ICBW

mikeylikey

^ you are so off base.  How many threads do we need addressing Boonie hats?  The same people post the same stuff again and again.  Hell, search for the two previous Boonie hat threads, and compare it with the current one.  There are people that pretty much copied their entire previous posts from2 months ago.  There are three people that continue to bring up topics that were locked previously just to cause agitation and strife.  CCSE (or Smitty) is one such character.

We are just going in circles in three threads currently. 
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

If you don't like a thread....don't participate. :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

Its not about participating.  Its about how many times do we need to participate in the same thread.  Especially when other posters give the link to the previous thread, the current thread should be ended, and we should post on the older one.  There is no need for 5 different Boonie hat discussions. 

I can see if a certain post is locked because it got out of hand, to open up a new post on the same subject, but even that is getting old.  Just last week I think we saw three of those!

What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

I find myself reading teh threads "for the drifts."  Many times the issue is not in what the posted topic was, but rather the underlying matter behind it.

I find that some amount of topic drift is necessary, especially in a free society.  This is part of the "community" aspect of any forum.

I too get somewhat flustered about the same topics, most special when these is some agenda behind it.  You know, some person bring up the US Flag patch for the umpteenth time, or because someone what CAP more/less like the USAF or like a Civilian Agency.

It is a lapse in duty to "not participate" in a thread where issue one has strong feelings about...that duty is to one's self.  When I see the "Incorrect, Funny Uniform Threads" or other obviously insipid threads I have a duty to myself and CAP to look at the thread and insure there is no "missinformation" in it.   I would say that some 85% of topic drift is originated from some sidebar correction to some abviously wrong item.  The "natural flow" of disscusion insues and then the thread is locked.

Some time I try to avoid them as long as possible, however, someone has to monitor these threads for lapses in logic, specious arguements, unwarranted agendism/bias, misconceptions and plain wrong stuff.  People involved in such activity are too close to it to see what they are doing.  That is when a moderator needs to step in and point out ad hominem attack, flaming and the like.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

I don't like thread drifts... I have been known to contribute to them, but I still don't like them.  When someone asks a specific question, they should get a specific answer without drifting off or devolving into a bunch of chatter (If you want to chat, get on Skype or some other IM program, email or PM.).  Posters should be able to stay on topic, and bite their tongue, or post another topic specific to their drift of thought when it would deserve further discussion.

Also... if a thread gets locked because it was drifting or for some other MCoC violation, it's bad form to post another immediately following the lock... odds are it will get locked for a similar reason, and we really don't need three locked beret threads in a row.
Mike Johnston

SJFedor

I was just thinking...how funny would it have been if this thread had been locked?  >:D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

^ Why even tempt MIKE??   >:D

Have you noticed lately that the threads he locks all have some unique almost whimsical statement about the lock?  I find it adds to enjoyment of watching threads crash and burn. 
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

^^^ That's just cuz our mods have an awesome sense of humor, especially MIKE. His sarcasm is up there with George Carlin.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Duke Dillio

I'm a Mike fan...

Go Mike Go, or do I feel lockage coming on?...

:angel:

addo1

Quote from: MIKE on June 13, 2008, 02:37:03 PM
I has fans.  8)

I still like him, though he has locked no telling how many of my posts.  ;)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

MIKE

Mike Johnston

whatevah

The lock was because the thread went offtopic, and really wasn't important for the announcements section anyhow.  Complaints about policies should be directed via PM to Pylon and myself.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin