Main Menu

cap.gov server...

Started by jimmydeanno, July 06, 2007, 03:42:46 PM

jimmydeanno

I just found out something interesting and rather disturbing at the same time...

After a conversation with a nice woman at NHQ, I found out that the cap.gov domain server isn't even owned by CAP.  Apparantly, it is owned by someone in Michigan and is 'borrowed' by CAP.  She said that the capnhq.gov is owned by CAP and is in Alabama...

Anyone know anything else about it?  Seems rather weird that the corporation wouldn't own it's own servers to run itself...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

The tracert is a little weird, shows it going through a vlan at Iowa State, and then from there it dies.

That the box is not in Alabama is not unusual at all, in fact its actually pretty common to have your web server at a host facility.

http://www.dotgov.gov/

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I thought cap.gov was managed by the aptly named William W. Webb...?

Eclipse

Its managed by Col. Webb, but where the servers actually are isn't related.

There is a misconception by some that a given web server or service has to be on or under the desk of the person running it.

Mine, for example, last time I checked were somewhere in VA.  Doesn't matter much, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Oh, I see what the OP was saying.

Server Administration is not one of CAP's core competencies.  Like many organizations, they just use a service that does professional hosting and server management for cap.gov.  Can't say I blame them; it beats having to think about server health/status, temperature-controlled rooms, backups, disaster recovery plans, remote access, operating system configuration, firewalls, security patches... and all that other stuff you have to think about to manage your own server.

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 06, 2007, 03:42:46 PM
Seems rather weird that the corporation wouldn't own it's own servers to run itself...

Nah, not at all.  In fact, as Dan pointed out, there are people better suited to run web and mail servers out there.  They can provide an efficient, worry-free solution much more cost-effectively than purchasing equipment, maintaining it, hiring technical staff to manage it, and eventually paying to upgrade equipment long-term.  It makes a lot of sense really for many corporations.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jimmydeanno

I understand what y'all are saying and it does make sense, but the way she explained it with the 'borrowing' is that it is some random guys server that said, "yeah, I guess you can use it" kind of deal.  There is probably more to it than that and I was left with half a story and half a truth... :(
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Nonsense!!!  Here's a pic  of me in the basement of the "CAP COMPUTER CORE,"  

CAP ON LINE OPERATIONS SUPER SERVER & UBIQUITOUS SYSTEM (Colossus): Dr Forbin, the project's main designer, says it's totally safe.  In fact, he is locked in the computer core at this moment with his secretary "adjusting" the slight error that allowed the CAP server to agin control of NORAD's Nuclear capability. ;D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

pixelwonk

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 06, 2007, 05:34:02 PM

CAP ON LINE OPERATIONS SUPER SERVER & UBIQUITOUS SYSTEM (Colossus): Dr Forbin, the project's main designer, says it's totally safe.  In fact, he is locked in the computer core at this moment with his secretary "adjusting" the slight error that allowed the CAP server to agin control of NORAD's Nuclear capability. ;D

Must've been a bus driver cap that got lodged into the tape drive.

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 06, 2007, 05:33:03 PM
I understand what y'all are saying and it does make sense, but the way she explained it with the 'borrowing' is that it is some random guys server that said, "yeah, I guess you can use it" kind of deal.  There is probably more to it than that and I was left with half a story and half a truth... :(

Odds are it is simply a misunderstanding of the situation by someone less than technical, or knowledgeable about the situation.

.gov domains can only be registered by governmental bodies.

If it was a .us, or just something random, the case might be different, as anyone can be a .us, or "capmadeupname.com".

And of course unless your head is cold.  cap.com won't do you much good.

Cap.net is fun, too.  Takes you through a bunch of ad-drive services.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on July 06, 2007, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 06, 2007, 05:34:02 PM

CAP ON LINE OPERATIONS SUPER SERVER & UBIQUITOUS SYSTEM (Colossus): Dr Forbin, the project's main designer, says it's totally safe.  In fact, he is locked in the computer core at this moment with his secretary "adjusting" the slight error that allowed the CAP server to agin control of NORAD's Nuclear capability. ;D

Must've been a bus driver cap that got lodged into the tape drive.

Nah...it was one of them there "taco" hats...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Smokey

Sparky....
Why are you wearing a cover indoors??????

or are you  "under arms"  ???
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Smokey on July 06, 2007, 07:01:32 PM
Sparky....
Why are you wearing a cover indoors??????

or are you  "under arms"  ???

Ha!!!  Originally, no.  It was a pic of me standing in front of a B-25 Mitchell at an Airshow where I gave a speech on the importance of Education on Youth.

It's a "photoshop," (took a while to almost match the contrast...thatis why it's in black-n-white")  however,  as for being "under arms" my "underarms"  ;) were quite active...with sweat!!!  Don't worry I threw away the shirt and laundered the service coat twice!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

UPDATE:

Ok, here's the 'real' scoop.

CAP does not own cap.gov

CAP does not own the server that hosts cap.gov

They are actually owned by a member and the  cap.gov domain is loaned to CAP.  The server is apparantly in his basement.

wingnut

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 06, 2007, 10:22:18 PM
UPDATE:

CAP does not own cap.gov

They are actually owned by a member and the  cap.gov domain is loaned to CAP.  The server is apparantly in his basement.

I would really like to see something authoritative like a DNS record before believing that.  Col. Webb is extremely picky about where he will allow .gov domains to be hosted.

I'm sure there is a specific person listed as the contact info, that doesn't mean they own it.

With that said, and considering the close relationship between HEADCAP and IAWG, I would not be surprised at all if its sitting in a server farm at Iowa State, which the tracert seems to indicate.

"That Others May Zoom"

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 06, 2007, 10:22:18 PM
UPDATE:

CAP does not own cap.gov

IIRC, he wasn't the original owner of the domain but somehow obtained the domain from the registrar - the original domain was owned by denizens of the original captalk email list if memory serves.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn