CAP Members Selling Fireworks

Started by Eagle400, June 29, 2007, 06:40:29 AM

jimmydeanno

I'm just curious as to what types of 'fireworks' they are selling.  Are we talking Class III fireworks that shoot 500 ft into the air and have a 1/2 stick of dynomite attached, or are we talking sparklers...?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

flyerthom

Quote from: LtCol White on June 29, 2007, 04:51:08 PM
Quote from: ddelaney103 on June 29, 2007, 02:46:26 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on June 29, 2007, 01:53:40 PM
If its not illegal to sell them where they are doing it, whats the problem with it?

There's legal, then there's appropriate.  Purchased fireworks were good for 8 deaths and a little under 10k injuries in 2004.  If there is an accident at the sales site, or an accident with fireworks purchased from CAP, how much negative publicity will we get?

By your reasoning, NVWG having a fund raising event at the Mustang Ranch would be OK - was that really your intension?

LOL....no but think of the income!

Appropriate and legal are 2 different issues as you point out and I agree. Personally, I wouldnt advise selling fireworks from a liability standpoint to the cadets manning the operation. From a legal standpoint, there is no issue though. Guess I should have been a bit clearer in my earlier post.

Darn! I'm in NV and I was picturing the possibilities  >:D
TC

ZigZag911

It may be legal, CAP may even be beyond liability problems, I don't know, that's for JAGs to determine.....as a safety officer, though, I don't like it....too many things can go wrong too easily.

lordmonar

Quote from: flyerthom on June 30, 2007, 02:45:03 AM
If its not illegal to sell them where they are doing it, whats the problem with it?

There's legal, then there's appropriate.  Purchased fireworks were good for 8 deaths and a little under 10k injuries in 2004.  If there is an accident at the sales site, or an accident with fireworks purchased from CAP, how much negative publicity will we get?

By your reasoning, NVWG having a fund raising event at the Mustang Ranch would be OK - was that really your intension?

Appropriate and legal are 2 different issues as you point out and I agree. Personally, I wouldnt advise selling fireworks from a liability standpoint to the cadets manning the operation. From a legal standpoint, there is no issue though. Guess I should have been a bit clearer in my earlier post.

Maybe I'll have a little talk with the commander and the finance guy tomorrow! ;D ;D >:D :angel:

Sure there is legal and appropriate....but there is also a big difference between a fireworks stand and fund raising at a brothel.

Also the 8 deaths and 10K injuries due to fire works....but how many lives are lost to general aviation?  Should we not turn away Cessna as well?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 30, 2007, 04:41:46 AM
It may be legal, CAP may even be beyond liability problems, I don't know, that's for JAGs to determine.....as a safety officer, though, I don't like it....too many things can go wrong too easily.

ORM.

"too many things can go wrong" would prevent us from driving to work every day.  We have to assume risk in everything we do.

Granted a fire works stand is a greater risk than say a lemonade stand...but those risks can be managed.

As a Safety Officer your job is not necessarily to just say NO, but to help the unit to build a plan to reduce the risk to manageable limits.

ZigZag911

There are other, less inherently dangerous ways to raise unit funds.

If this were a necessary, or even important, risk, I'd agree wholeheartedly that the SE's job is to help plan & train to reduce & avoid risk.

Selling fireworks, in my view, comes under the heading of that old slogan from WWII: "Is this trip necessary?"

I don't think so.

lordmonar

I agree.....there are other ways to make money.

but bottom line......assuming that prudent safety measures and good supervision takes place.......selling fireworks can result in a major profit with minimal effort.

Just saying NO....is not the necessarily the right answer.

CAP says no to firearms......except under controlled circumstances.  We don't just say NO....we say ONLY with the following provisions.

The same can be said for fireworks sales.

Eagle400

Well, if CAP mandated the use of ORM, this dilemma would not exist.  Just another problem you can thank the leadership of CAP for.  ORM is a crucial part of planning activities.   

Remember: poor planning produces piss poor performance. 

SARMedTech

Assuming the CAP members selling said fireworks have a license to do so.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: lordmonar on June 30, 2007, 04:46:34 AM
Quote from: flyerthom on June 30, 2007, 02:45:03 AM

Maybe I'll have a little talk with the commander and the finance guy tomorrow! ;D ;D >:D :angel:

Sure there is legal and appropriate....but there is also a big difference between a fireworks stand and fund raising at a brothel.

Also the 8 deaths and 10K injuries due to fire works....but how many lives are lost to general aviation?  Should we not turn away Cessna as well?

But like hardly anybody has ever been killed in a Nevada brothel!  From a strictly safety standpoint, a brothel is a better call than selling fireworks.
Another former CAP officer