The National Commander's latest Letter

Started by JohnKachenmeister, June 28, 2007, 10:45:38 PM

JohnKachenmeister

What "Unprofessional Blogs" and what "Having Incident" was he talking about.

I hope it isn't us.  We've been pretty tough on some newbies.
Another former CAP officer

SARMedTech

Where would I find a copy of this letter?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

LtCol White

To my knowledge, we have never discussed any hazing incidents here.

His letter seems like it is directed more to NOTF type activites. We all know there is a lot of mudslinging that goes on there. Our CAPTALK moderators and members do a good job of maintaining order and ending inappropriate behavior here.

In short, I don't think the letter is directed at any specific behavior here and for those of us who already are responsible, it serves as a reminder to remain so. I do have to applaud the CC for sending this and making it a professional communication with an effort to end on a postive note as he says. Everyone needs to be reminded from time to time as we say on here regularly

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

I agree...the rants of you know who (NotF) and the you know what (the so called "strike") often do much to discredit us all.

As for the later, the so called STRIKE, that is the most ridiculous schlock I have ever had the displeasure to discover.

I said it before and I will type it here again,  I will totally lose respect for anyone who participates in slowing down CAP's admin and personnel system for any reason related to agendistic grandstanding!!!  Let us resolve to make these month the greatest in recent history!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

hahahhahhahaha...........you have got to be kidding me!  "Thanks for your service, but here's why you suck" was the message I got from that letter!  I did like the fact that he did not mention "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" at all.  So whats next.......Cuban commandos at my door because I speak out against the national commander. 

I hope he turns his energy on producing a strong vision of were we are headed.  I guess he is saving that until the day before he leaves office! 

What's up monkeys?

O-Rex

Folks have the right to their opinion, and even their right to voice it, but this "strike" thing is taking things a bit too far...

The instigator(s) tout refusing all but SAR activity, but imagine some cadet scheduled to take a milestone achievement exam, and the Senior saying "You'll have to do it next week, sport: I'm on strike."

It's just wrong, wrong, wrong!  >:(

As for blog activity: I think we've weeded out the miscreants among the "regulars:"  I wouldn't sweat it.

LtCol White

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 29, 2007, 12:27:24 AM
hahahhahhahaha...........you have got to be kidding me!  "Thanks for your service, but here's why you suck" was the message I got from that letter!  I did like the fact that he did not mention "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" at all.  So whats next.......Cuban commandos at my door because I speak out against the national commander. 

I hope he turns his energy on producing a strong vision of were we are headed.  I guess he is saving that until the day before he leaves office! 

Clearly you have a completely cynical attitude towards anything from him. That is a rather narrow-minded and immature outlook.  I don't agree with everything the man says or does, but you do have to give credit where it is due. Obviously his letter is in response to something and I think he did a good job of reminding folks of appropriateness and how our actions reflect on the organization.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

hahahhahhahaha...........you have got to be kidding me!  "Thanks for your service, but here's why you suck" was the message I got from that letter! 

No...the majority of us are doing a good job.  A small few are too busy carrying on very ridiculous writings.  Most of these aren't even members anymore.  In America we don't just throw around allegations trying to sway public opinion to try cases in the court of public opinion.  That amounts to libel.

Cuban commandos at my door because I speak out against the national commander. 

That is just uncalled for.  I guess, for your next trick, you will refer to me as the Frito Bandido. :'(
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eagle400

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 29, 2007, 12:27:24 AMI hope he turns his energy on producing a strong vision of were we are headed.  I guess he is saving that until the day before he leaves office!

No, he probably won't do that.  Too much work.  Especially when he is the one who has to set the example.   

O-Rex

Don't know the circumstances of details, but  I simply took the message for what it was, "no more self-inflicted wounds."

Cuban commandos??  Mom was born in Havana, Pop's from Santiago: sleep tight, I don't know where you live..... >:D

Eclipse

For those of you willing to give up the chunk of your life required to dig through all the rhetoric and nonsense spouted about CAPFLT001, you should be able to find what he is referring to.

My advice, however, would be not to bother.

I think that for the most part CT and CS are not the places he's referring to.  We go at each other like cats and dogs, which to me, is fine (and frankly amusing), but most of us have been pretty respectful of our leaders, while still trying to discuss legitimate concerns, and real points of discussion.

We all know, however, that a (mostly) banned minority have expressed a hatred for certain officials so vitriolic as to border on scary.

Considering most of us are members of a paramilitary organization, and complain regularly that we don't "play army enough", we need to accept the other side of that which is respect for the office and the grade if not its occupant.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 29, 2007, 12:41:29 AM
That is just uncalled for.  I guess, for your next trick, you will refer to me as the Frito Bandido. :'(

I would never call someone a stupid Mexican.  You sir, should not degrade yourself that way.  I take some offense to that.  

I have no idea why the letter came out....nor do I care.  I do have trouble accepting it on the basis that it is in fact TP who associated himself with persons that have questionable character.  He then turns around and publishes this non-sense directed at the membership, when he should have used his own advice.  He is the reason, be it indirectly or directly that he needed to publish such a reminder "to behave ourselves".
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Mikey......

Until these accusations are proven.....we must operate on the assumption that he is ethical.

Either way....if MGen Pineda is talking about CAPINSIGHTS and the CAP-SAC...then the he is perfectly right to remind us about our responsibilities and our core values.

The CAP-SAC has sucked in good members who let their emotions get the better of them.  It is simply a reminder that your conduct on and off duty are indicative of your professionalism.

No one said you can't "speak out against the National Commander"...but you must do so in a professional manner.

Making racial slurs about the ethnicity of our National Commander is NOT professional. 

Responding to the messenger instead of the message is NOT professional.

He may be the reason we need a reminder to be professional....but at least he is making an effort to "improve" CAP in general.

Read the message....is anything he said untrue?  Ignore for the moment that he may have in the pass had some unprofessional moments, and really read what he said.

The simple bottom line is "If you strike, you are out"!  And I agree 100% and told Ray Hayden so.  I suggested a better and more professional solution to any problems someone may have with his leadership.....it's called the chain of command.  As a last resort, you can always right letters to your congressmen.

Any other action that borders on the level of SEDITION or MUTINY should be dealt with quickly and harshly.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

To continue my thought and semi-respond to Mikey, and the active folks, please correct me if I am wrong.

It is my understanding that members of the military are free to publicly express disagreements with policy and actions of their commanders, the president, congress, etc., but they are barred from impugning their character or publicly insulting them.

Call it conduct unbecoming, insubordination, or simple lack of respect.

That being the case, and if we want to play with the big boys, we should be held to a similar standard.  And justified or not, many of the statements made by the officer (likely) in question have been insulting and belittling.

And with that said, since this same gentleman has, for whatever unfathomable reason, has chosen to remain >IN< the organization, he is subject to that same standard, which in turn opens himself up for a legitimate personnel action for cause, completely unrelated to the original accusations.

"That Others May Zoom"

O-Rex

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 29, 2007, 02:22:35 AM
I would never call someone a stupid Mexican. 

But "Cuban Commando" is okay?  

Eagle400

Quote from: lordmonar on June 29, 2007, 02:37:30 AMAs a last resort, you can always right letters to your congressmen.

You know, I recommended this a while back, and you called it sedition.

Where do you draw the line, sir? 

mikeylikey

Quote from: O-Rex on June 29, 2007, 02:40:37 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on June 29, 2007, 02:22:35 AM
I would never call someone a stupid Mexican. 

But "Cuban Commando" is okay?  

Umm.....I think I said "Cuban Commandos".  I never implied anyone was a "Cuban Commando", nor did I spread any racial hatred toward any certain group of people.  That is to include, Cubans, Mexicans, Latinos or Spanish Spaniards.

Would you rather I said Canadian Commando, or how about Irish Commando let me know what is PC in your world, and I will try to abide by it in the future.  In the mean time get off my back please.
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

Christ people! Can't we take the letter in the context of which it was intended??? The entire point was to remember that everyone's actions reflect on CAP as a whole. Its NOT that [darn] difficult!
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

MIKE

Mike Johnston