Main Menu

Captalk Stat numbers.

Started by RogueLeader, June 26, 2007, 07:48:37 PM

RogueLeader

For those of us that understand Stats- to a marginal degree at least.  I went and crunched the numbers onto a table.  Enjoy.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LtCol White

You have WAY too much free time. LOL
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RogueLeader

It's called my DAY off.  Took me about 20 mins with a TI-84 and its stat functions. ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Capt M. Sherrod

For those of us who had to take Sadistics twice in college  :P  Please offer some explanation.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: LtCol White on June 26, 2007, 08:02:38 PM
You have WAY too much free time. LOL

I think he's trying to tell us the WE have too much free time!
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Mean= average number in the set
Sum of X= Ex=total of values ie: all new members
sum of X squared = Ex2= ie All new members squared
Standard Deviation= sq root of Ex2
Standard Deviation of pop- same as above with a different formula- not sure why though
n= number of values
min = smallest value in set
25%= 1/4 number in set
mean= middle value
75%= 3/4 number in set
max= largest number 
If you want the actual formulas, I'll have to find them again.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ford73Diesel

Reminds me of high school (which was only 1.5 months ago for me)  Shows how much one retains....

ColonelJack

Hey, RL ...

For those of us who don't speak math ... what does all that mean?

(I'm a history teacher and don't need to know all that math stuff.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RogueLeader

Mean is the average of a given set of numbers
  For example you have 3 kids, aged 10,  15, and 20. The Average age is 15,  You add the ages, then divide by the number in the set.  So it would look like (10+15+20)/3 or 45/3= 15
The median is the middle number.  You have 3 grand-kids, and they are 7 8 and 12.  the median age is 8.
It is hard to explain all the numbers, but in order to find out the differences in data, there are formulas to determine how far apart the numbers are.  In order to find out how far the numbers are, with out squaring them, you would always get 0, as they would balance out.
The standard deviation is good for determining if any data is non-standard.  That does not mean that the data is incorrect, just unusual.  For example, if you went to the stats portion of Captalk, and looked at the Most Online section, you would find that there are two outliers on the data.
Based on all this data- which still looks like mumbo-jumbo to me too- I can predict to a reasonable degree of accuracy of the future trends of CapTalk.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340