Deadline announced for submission of candidacy for national vice (5/1/07)

Started by JC004, April 23, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

JC004

Deadline announced for submission of candidacy for CAP national vice commander

May 11 is due date

April 23, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS -- May 11 is the deadline for current or former Civil Air Patrol National Board members who want to be candidates for the office of national vice commander to file a request for consideration with the executive director's office.

Section 16 of CAP's bylaws says such requests must be submitted at least 90 days before the general membership National Board meeting at which the election is held. This year's election is set for Aug. 9.

A copy of all candidates' requests for consideration will be forwarded to all National Board members as soon as possible after May 11.

Request may be submitted to Susan P. Parker by e-mail at sparker@capnhq.gov, by fax at (334) 953-4262 or at:

105 South Hansell Street
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6332

Additional information or assistance may be obtained at (877) 227-9142, ext. 212.
-------------------

Linky to story on CAP News Online.

SAR-EMT1

The way I read this is that ONLY current/ former National Board Members are eligible to apply.
Why is that?
Why not open it up to any of the Level 4/5 folks?
If Im just misreading this let me know.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BillB

Just curious. But why is only the National VC listed? Is that a one year term compared to National CC three year?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CAP Producer

AL PABON, Major, CAP

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

jimmydeanno

So you can get rid of someone you don't like... >:D  I digress...

Not sure on the reason why, but will a "because it says so" do?  ;D

ARTICLE XIV
TERM OF OFFICE
1. The terms of office for corporate officers are as follows:
a. The National Commander shall serve a single, three-year term of office and shall not be eligible for reelection to that office. The term shall commence at the close of the general membership National Board meeting at which elected, and conclude at the close of the third general membership National Board meeting thereafter.
b. The National Vice Commander shall serve an annual term of office commencing at the close of the general membership National Board meeting at which elected, and terminating at the close of the next general membership National Board meeting.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

ColonelJack

Personally, I'd like to see General Courter continue in the position of CAP/CV.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Ohioguard

I have 40 years in the program and this is the first time that I can remember that an announcement was put out to the membership.  I find this odd.

Smokey

General Courter may run but the odds of her getting in are slim.  She is not TP's choice and he has been stacking the deck  by replacing wing/region CCs who would vote for her.

Latest word is the PAC Region CC (Col Pearson) who replaced Col Starr just a few months ago may be the next one canned.  He reportedly didn't support the firing of the CAWG CC. 
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Ohioguard

Look at the recent appointments to region cc's

SER  Friend of the National CC
GLR  Retired Military Law Enforcement
NCR  Active Law Enforcement
SWR  Active Law Enforcement

Is the deck being stacked?  I don't know, but it doesn't look good.

JC004

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 24, 2007, 10:40:03 PM

Jack

Agree.   ;D  I had the chance to talk to her a lot at Civic Leadership Academy.  I'd like to see her add another star.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Smokey on April 25, 2007, 02:05:47 AM
General Courter may run but the odds of her getting in are slim.  She is not TP's choice and he has been stacking the deck  by replacing wing/region CCs who would vote for her. 

Perhaps so, but according to all reports, her chances of winning in the first place were pretty slim.  Granted, there have been wholesale changes in wing and region CCs since she was elected, but I would like to believe that integrity plays more of a role than personal politics.  I would also like to believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

It would be a crying shame if someone who is dedicated to the program -- to the point of taking a year or two off of work to make the job full-time -- and who has done by all accounts a fantastic job as CV ... if this person were forced to step aside so one of the "elite" can become CV. 

I predict a major backlash if someone "handpicked" becomes CV at the meeting, especially if General Courter runs again and the vote is close. 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Ohioguard on April 25, 2007, 02:23:39 AM
Look at the recent appointments to region cc's

SER  Friend of the National CC
GLR  Retired Military Law Enforcement
NCR  Active Law Enforcement
SWR  Active Law Enforcement

Is the deck being stacked?  I don't know, but it doesn't look good.

It doesn't, I agree.  And one of the four you cite above was, by several unofficial accounts, supposed to have won the election to CV last time around, and General Courter took it in an upset. 

May there be yet another upset this year.  General Pineda's term is up in 2008, is it not?  The CV elected this summer will most likely be the next CAP/CC.  It shouldn't be a crony; it should be someone like General Courter, who has put her life and career on hold for this organization.  That should be rewarded.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

Quote from: JC004 on April 25, 2007, 02:58:33 AM
Agree.   ;D  I had the chance to talk to her a lot at Civic Leadership Academy.  I'd like to see her add another star.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting General Courter, but I do hope she wins another term and is elected next CAP/CC.  She's the right person for the job.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

JC004

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 25, 2007, 11:56:54 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 25, 2007, 02:58:33 AM

I've never had the pleasure of meeting General Courter, but I do hope she wins another term and is elected next CAP/CC.  She's the right person for the job.

Jack

I think her campaign web site won her the day last time.  Frankly, that was freaking awesome.  I don't think that's been done before.  Although we might soon see them for folks running from now on...I figure I'll put my "General Colgan for Supreme CAP Commander" campaign site up soon.  But I like people who think outside the box, have vision, are well-qualified, and know how to use this dang internet thing.  CAP can go far with the internet and other technologies once we discover them.   :)

ZigZag911

I too hope to see Gen. Courter run again, successfully....her work has been impressive.

I wonder if the Nat'l CC is being misread on this matter....he did entrust her with the chief of staff duties, as well as her own.

Eventually I'd like to see the Nat'l CV elected to a concurrent term with the CC....many national organizations perpare their national chief executive by a term in the #2 post; I think CAP might well benefit from a similar practice.

JC004

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 28, 2007, 04:47:41 AM
I too hope to see Gen. Courter run again, successfully....her work has been impressive.

I wonder if the Nat'l CC is being misread on this matter....he did entrust her with the chief of staff duties, as well as her own.

Eventually I'd like to see the Nat'l CV elected to a concurrent term with the CC....many national organizations perpare their national chief executive by a term in the #2 post; I think CAP might well benefit from a similar practice.

Yes.   :)

I think the national commander may be frequently misread because, as many have mentioned here in the past, he is making a lot of changes and he needs to better communicate the vision to the organization as a whole.  Members here seem to agree that he presents himself and his ideas at least fairly well at conferences (some have argued that not enough info was provided, particularly with certain uniform changes).  I'd like to see more use of the (not CAPR 110-1 compliant) nationalcommander.com site.  I'd also like to see 1, 2, and 5 year goal statements from NHQ, but maybe now I'm dreaming.   :-\  Any organization should have them...especially of this size.

I don't see why the Vice should have one-year terms.  The CV serves at the pleasure of the CC, so there is no reason to vote them out unless: 1. You should also be voting out the CC, or 2. There's misconduct, in which case there is already a system in place to deal with that specifically.

ZigZag911

Quote from: JC004 on April 28, 2007, 04:55:37 AM
The CV serves at the pleasure of the CC

Actually, IAW the CAP Constitution & By-laws, the National CV is elected by the National Board (much like VP of United States is an elected constitutional officer, who serves a set term, not at the pleasure of the President)

JC004

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 28, 2007, 05:40:55 PM

Actually, IAW the CAP Constitution & By-laws, the National CV is elected by the National Board (much like VP of United States is an elected constitutional officer, who serves a set term, not at the pleasure of the President)

The CV serves at the pleasure of the CC  The CV is gonna do what the CC says, so if crap goes wrong, blame the Point of Blame, the CC.  There.   ;D

ZigZag911

Quote from: JC004 on April 28, 2007, 07:26:43 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 28, 2007, 05:40:55 PM

The CV serves at the pleasure of the CC  The CV is gonna do what the CC says, so if crap goes wrong, blame the Point of Blame, the CC.  There.   ;D

If you're saying that waste matter runs downhill, then you'll get no argument here!

afgeo4

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 24, 2007, 10:40:03 PM

Jack

Not me. I'd prefer she took on the position of CAP/CC.
GEORGE LURYE

ColonelJack

Well, that is the idea behind her getting another term as CV; if she's CV in 2008, when (I believe) General Pineda's term ends, she's almost a lock for the CC spot.

Now, if what some believe was supposed to happen last year does happen this year, it'll be a whole new ball game when the 2008 meetings are held.

Discuss.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ZigZag911

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 29, 2007, 04:14:51 PM
Well, that is the idea behind her getting another term as CV; if she's CV in 2008, when (I believe) General Pineda's term ends, she's almost a lock for the CC spot.

Now, if what some believe was supposed to happen last year does happen this year, it'll be a whole new ball game when the 2008 meetings are held.

Discuss.

Jack

In no way is this directed at the present National CC....but existing term limit for that post should remain as it is.....four years is long enough for any individual to be in charge of a national organization like CAP.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think Nat'l CV term should run concurrently with Nat'l CC.

And I'd like to see the old term limits restored for region & wing commanders (four years, with a possible fifth).

Someone who 'climbed the chain' from wing to region to national CC directly would be in a senior command position for TWELVE years!

That's more than long enough....even if it isn't consecutive.

There needs to be a healthy balance between continuity/institutional memory and fresh approaches.

JC004

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 30, 2007, 03:22:47 AM
Quote from: ColonelJack on April 29, 2007, 04:14:51 PM

Discuss.

Jack

In no way is this directed at the present National CC....but existing term limit for that post should remain as it is.....four years is long enough for any individual to be in charge of a national organization like CAP.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think Nat'l CV term should run concurrently with Nat'l CC.

And I'd like to see the old term limits restored for region & wing commanders (four years, with a possible fifth).

Someone who 'climbed the chain' from wing to region to national CC directly would be in a senior command position for TWELVE years!

That's more than long enough....even if it isn't consecutive.

There needs to be a healthy balance between continuity/institutional memory and fresh approaches.

^^ What he said.

afgeo4

GEORGE LURYE

Eagle400

Quote from: Smokey on April 25, 2007, 02:05:47 AM

Latest word is the PAC Region CC (Col Pearson) who replaced Col Starr just a few months ago may be the next one canned.  He reportedly didn't support the firing of the CAWG CC. 

And people wonder why I'm not in this outfit anymore!  I absolutely refuse to rejoin while Pineda is in command.  When his term is up, there will be a big mess for the next National Commander to clean up.   
To all of you who choose not to go above the squadron level: I understand completely.