Moral Leadership Officer Assistant

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, January 06, 2010, 05:10:54 AM

C/MSgt Lunsford

To CAPtalk.net Community:

I was recently talking to my Moral Leadership Officer discussing with him how I could help with Moral Leadership and to provide my point of view on the lesson in front of the Squadron, mostly to improve my Communication Skills and Public Speaking Skills. The reason why I am trying now to improve these skills is so I can perform my best when I present myself to my local Senator to request nomination to the Air Force Academy (My Goal in Life). Anyway, if you would, will some of you provide some suggestions of how I am to present my Squadron in a Professional Manner. I do not want to "accidentally" make a fool or embarrass myself. Thanks in Advance.

C/A1C S. Lunsford, CAP
Martinsburg Composite Squadron
MER-WV-020 (167th Airlift)
Element Leader

Wright Brothers #13915

Cecil DP

If you are active in the Character Development portion of the Cadet Program, you should have the chance to be the moderator at several points during the year. Your communications skills could be attained by volunteering to give classes to the cadets and writing papers or dissertations on CAP related subjects. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 06, 2010, 07:12:03 AM
If you are active in the Character Development portion of the Cadet Program, you should have the chance to be the moderator at several points during the year. Your communications skills could be attained by volunteering to give classes to the cadets and writing papers or dissertations on CAP related subjects.
Ok. I am supposed to get a Email from the Moral Leadership Officer with next weeks lesson plan so I can review it and tell him my thoughts. The reason I am stepping up, is because I want to become more involved with my Squadron and improve it with much intent. Hooah. Thank you for your feedback. Anyone else?

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on January 07, 2010, 03:53:34 AMHooah. Thank you for your feedback. Anyone else?

Yes, make sure that you discuss with the senior who was formerly the MLO that he is now a CDI, assuming he meets the new requirements.
There is no longer a staff position called "Moral Leadership Officer".

KB #57
"Character Development Instructor requirements are in New CAPR265-1 The CAP Chaplain Corps 15 October 2009
* Meet CAP Senior Membership requirements
* Fingerprint card an background check
* Pay national and wing dues
* Complete 60 hours of study beyond high school
* Have recommendation from local pastor or other religious official
* Be interviewed and recommended by the wing chaplain
* Official appointment will be made by the National Staff Chaplain
* Contact your wing chaplain for an application

See attached below: "Role of the Moral Leadership Officer"

See attached below, "Chaplains, MLOs vital in today's CAP; imperative they be recruited, trained," Chaplain (Col.) Charles E. Sharp, Chief, CAP Chaplain Service, CAP News, January 2005.

Note Moral Leadership Officer Title Change: Members of the CAP National Executive Committee voted in November to change the title of CAP's Moral Leadership Officers to Character Development Instructors. Though the duty title for these personnel has been changed, we don't expect significant changes to the qualification or appointment requirements. Regulations and other materials impacted by this change are currently being updated. (Contact: HQ CAP/HCA, Tracy Harris - tharris@capnhq.gov) CAP Open Cockpit, April 2008."

KB #1517
"7. Character Development Instructor Appointment.
a. A CDI must first become a senior member. Once the individual has become a member and completed Level I, he/she may apply for the CDI position by completing a CAPF 35a, Character Development Instructor Application. CDI applications are processed through the wing chaplain who verifies that:
(1) The applicant has a minimum of 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of college study beyond the high school diploma. The minimum of 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) must be attained from a college or university listed in the current edition of the American Council on Education (ACE), Accredited Institutions of Post-secondary Education and relevant ACE supplements to that publication.
(2) The applicant has a letter of recommendation from his or her local religious official (i.e., church pastor, rabbi, etc.) who is a member of a faith group listed by the Department of Defense Armed Forces Chaplains Board, verifying that the applicant is spiritually, morally, and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor, and the applicant has held a leadership position in the church/or religious equivalent setting for at least 2 years.
b. The wing chaplain completes an interview, signs the CAPF 35a if warranted, and then forwards the application package including the supporting documentation to the region chaplain for region approval and subsequent transmission to NHQ CAP/HCA for final approval by CAP/HC.
c. After the appointment, the NHQ CAP/HCA notifies the region chaplain, wing chaplain, region commander, wing commander and unit commander of the appointment.
d. Unless currently serving in a higher grade, in which case the higher grade will be maintained, a CDI is initially appointed in the grade of second lieutenant and awarded the CAPP 225 Specialty Track Study Guide-Character Development (Moral Leadership)  Specialty Track."

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Oh, I forgot about the change. Character Development... what a joke. I thought Moral Leadership was fine. Anyway, I didn't mean I was the "Official" Assistant CD Officer. I meant that I was assisting him with his lessons. Still a Cadet. :D

Wright Brothers #13915

Dracosbane

Speak to your C/CC and staff to present leadership lab discussions, aerospace discussions, ES discussions, or your unit Safety Officer to present a safety discussion.  There are several areas that cadets will need experience "presenting" different topics along their development and promotions.  Our cadets regularly provide instruction in these areas to gain experience. 

I would not only consider the "public speaking" or presenting lessons or topics during meetings, but also review boards.  WIWAC, I hated review boards until I realized that they not only helped me during my CAP career, but also with job interviews, meetings, etc. out in the real world. 

Good luck.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on January 07, 2010, 04:33:27 AM
Oh, I forgot about the change. Character Development... what a joke.

You might want to reconsider this as an opening statement as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Oh, I forgot about the change. Character Development... what a joke. I thought Moral Leadership was fine.

What "Moral" Leadership did I learn when it was the name of the program in 2003 when I joined to what, 2007 or so? Where you even in CAP back in 2007? Now, Character Development is actually an accurate description of this forum type training.

DogCollar

Oh, I forgot about the change. Character Development... what a joke.

Cadet, far from being a "joke," it was changed to give a better understanding (hopefully) of the content.  Morals and morality tend to be thought of subjectively and Character less so (again hopefully).

As far as suggestions....have fun doing it.  Be creative.  There is no reason in the world for a lesson to be a dry or boring.  I wish you much success in your leading.  Let us know how it turns out.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: Lunsford on January 07, 2010, 03:53:34 AM
Ok. I am supposed to get a Email from the Moral Leadership Officer with next weeks lesson plan so I can review it and tell him my thoughts. The reason I am stepping up, is because I want to become more involved with my Squadron and improve it with much intent. Hooah. Thank you for your feedback. Anyone else?

First rule of public speaking:  Never say hooah.

Take public speaking classes.  I know in your area you have three high schools, each of which have them, if I'm not mistaken.  It will give you confidence and poise.  Check out toastmasters.  I don't know if youth can join, but they're a great organization for learning how to present yourself.

Remember, when you are speaking to a senator, you're speaking to a crowd of one.  Just a hint, if you're thinking of talking to Senator Byrd, no one talks to him.  You'll be talking to one of his staff. He's President Pro Tempore of the Senate and third in the presidential line of succession after the VP and Speaker of the House.  Also, he's old and infirmed.  They just wheel him out for votes. 

bosshawk

BTW: the other Senator from that State is named Rockefeller and I doubt that he can be bothered to interview candidates for the service academies.

Most members of Congress use boards of citizens to select and rank their nominees for the various academies.  Many of these citizens are graduates of the academies and many are retired officers.  They interview and rank the candidates: all the member of Congress does is approve the recommendations and forward them to the academies.

Yes, yes, there are exceptions to what I just said: the above is my experience in more than 30 years of admissions work for West Point.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 07, 2010, 03:12:07 PM
Oh, I forgot about the change. Character Development... what a joke. I thought Moral Leadership was fine.

What "Moral" Leadership did I learn when it was the name of the program in 2003 when I joined to what, 2007 or so? Where you even in CAP back in 2007? Now, Character Development is actually an accurate description of this forum type training.
No. I became a Cadet in May of 2009. We never used Character Development Officer until of October 2009. I just think the title, "Moral Leadership", was a better title. When I hear of Moral Leadership, I think of of strengthening my Moral mindset and learning to lead with a high moral aspect. Character development, is still a good title, but In my opinion, is not getting the point across of what the Cadet is learning. Is the Cadet not learning about Morals and how to strengthen and embrace their own morals? Though the Cadet is strengthening his/her character. I just think Moral Leadership would make a much better title then Character Development.
Quote from: Gunner C on January 07, 2010, 04:31:13 PM

Take public speaking classes.  I know in your area you have three high schools, each of which have them, if I'm not mistaken.  It will give you confidence and poise.  Check out toastmasters.  I don't know if youth can join, but they're a great organization for learning how to present yourself.

Remember, when you are speaking to a senator, you're speaking to a crowd of one.  Just a hint, if you're thinking of talking to Senator Byrd, no one talks to him.  You'll be talking to one of his staff. He's President Pro Tempore of the Senate and third in the presidential line of succession after the VP and Speaker of the House.  Also, he's old and infirmed.  They just wheel him out for votes. 
I know never to say Hooah during a Presentation or if I'm addressing a group, or even formal situations. I do use Hooah if I am around other Cadets a family (Since alot of my family Military). But that you for that bit of advice. There are 5 High Schools. North Hagerstown (Going to next semester), South Hagerstown (Current High School), Williamsport High, Smithsburg High, and Clearspring High and you are right. All of the above high schools have Public Speaking.

Ok. I have just checked the Find a Location Feature on the Toast Masters Website, and I will be going to one of their meetings to see if I can join. But I think I sorta have a miscommunication problem. I will be presenting myself to the State of Maryland Senators, I live in Hagerstown MD. I know that my location is set to Martinsburg, but this is because my CAP unit is located there. Thanks for the feedback. You have introduced me to toastmasters, and if I am able to join, it will help me out much!
Quote from: bosshawk on January 07, 2010, 06:30:00 PM
BTW: the other Senator from that State is named Rockefeller and I doubt that he can be bothered to interview candidates for the service academies.

Most members of Congress use boards of citizens to select and rank their nominees for the various academies.  Many of these citizens are graduates of the academies and many are retired officers.  They interview and rank the candidates: all the member of Congress does is approve the recommendations and forward them to the academies.

Yes, yes, there are exceptions to what I just said: the above is my experience in more than 30 years of admissions work for West Point.
I live in the State of Maryland, like said in the above post, sorry about that miscommunication. I will most likely speak to Senator Barbara Mikulski. Or like you said, I might present myself in front of a board of Citizens/Retired Officers/Academy Graduates (Won't that be fun). Thanks much for the feed back.

This is great. Thank you all for your feedback and support. If anyone has anything to throw at me, please do! I thank you all!

Wright Brothers #13915

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Lunsford on January 08, 2010, 12:54:22 PM
No. I became a Cadet in May of 2009. We never used Character Development Officer until of October 2009. I just think the title, "Moral Leadership", was a better title. When I hear of Moral Leadership, I think of of strengthening my Moral mindset and learning to lead with a high moral aspect. Character development, is still a good title, but In my opinion, is not getting the point across of what the Cadet is learning. Is the Cadet not learning about Morals and how to strengthen and embrace their own morals? Though the Cadet is strengthening his/her character. I just think Moral Leadership would make a much better title then Character Development.

None of the lessons in the Character Development ring morals to me. All of them did however focus on building character. CAP is not the place where you learned your morals, that happened with your family while you were growing up. All CAP can do is build and strengthen your over all character.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 08, 2010, 01:18:15 PM
Quote from: Lunsford on January 08, 2010, 12:54:22 PM

None of the lessons in the Character Development ring morals to me. All of them did however focus on building character. CAP is not the place where you learned your morals, that happened with your family while you were growing up. All CAP can do is build and strengthen your over all character.
Sir. In my opinion, Character Development, formally and respectably Moral Leadership, presents to all Cadets a Moral outreach to instill and to enhance their Leadership and Character skills. I can see why they renamed it Character Development now that I think about it. But I believe that to see the moral aspect of Character Development,  you have to look at it in a different way. Do you, sir, have any feed back to assist me in my journey to the USAF Academy?

Wright Brothers #13915

JayT

As was said before, and as you will learn in sociology classes in college, you're 'moral mindset' is developed from the moment you're born. Your morals are your own, and are the result of your education, upbringing, experiences, and encounters. There isn't a 'high moral aspect,' your morals are your own, and seperate and distinct from everyone elses.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: JThemann on January 08, 2010, 01:49:32 PM
As was said before, and as you will learn in sociology classes in college, you're 'moral mindset' is developed from the moment you're born. Your morals are your own, and are the result of your education, upbringing, experiences, and encounters. There isn't a 'high moral aspect,' your morals are your own, and seperate and distinct from everyone elses.
Yes, agreed, your gain your moral mindset once you are born. But like I said before "I" believe that Character Development, respectably  and formally known as Moral Leadership, embraces your morals, and teaches you how to lead with those Moral. I prefer not to debate about this issue because it is my ideology to think of Moral Leadership how I do above. Other than that, do you have anything to contribute to my thread? In all due respect, I am asking for feedback, not argument of what I believe. 

Wright Brothers #13915

Майор Хаткевич

Airman Lunsford,

We aren't arguing your beliefs, merely pointing out why Character Development > Moral Leadership. Besides the connotations and questions of WHOs Morals cadets were learning, it just simply was a misnamed program (Thanks Chaplain Corps!).

As for getting into the AFA, as someone who had considered that route and did some research, I would say you need to focus on School Academics, School Varsity Sports, and Volunteer/Extra Curricular Activities such as CAP.

To get into the Academy, the minimum GPA was 3.6/4 a few years ago. I'm sure it's still in the same ballpark today. The Academy, as any other military institution is looking for fitness as well as leadership quality, so Varsity Sports are a big deal from I've been told. Other activities, whether they be Chess team, Math club, Church volunteering, CAP, etc are the icing on the overall cake.

If you really need advice on how to get into the AFA, go to cadetstuff.org. You won't even need to post this topic again, just search, it has been brought up about a thousand times. CS also has a resident expert who is an Academy Grad (2003, so very recent in the grand theme of things). Captain ... can answer just about any question.

Dracosbane

You know that old idea to picture people in their underwear when you're public speaking?  Yeah, don't do that.  There are some people you don't want that image in your head while you're trying to deliver a discussion.  The brain bleach isn't handy on the "stage".  On a more serious note, remember to have notes in front of you, and don't read directly from them (unless it's specifically necessary) but speak about the topics.  As a young cadet (rank, not age specifically) you'll probably mess up.  That's normal.  Everybody does when learning how to speak in front of people.  You'll be nervous and worried and hoping to be perfect.  Relax, take a deep breath, and remember that you're speaking to people, who were probably in your shoes at some point.

As an aside (and not jumping into the argument one way or the other), calling it moral leadership is like calling the service dress the class A uniform, or calling SAREXs "practice missions" or any of the other hundreds of outdated terminologies still used by us old guys.  It may be proper to call it the current name, but the point still came across.

DogCollar

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 08, 2010, 02:17:46 PM
Besides the connotations and questions of WHOs Morals cadets were learning, it just simply was a misnamed program (Thanks Chaplain Corps!)./quote]

Ummm...You're welcome?? :-[   At least we got it right the second time around!

Seriously, Cadet...the best advice I can give you is to try to be comfortable in your own skin.  This isn't easy to do, but when you try to take on a "style" of speaking that isn't genuine, most people can see right through it.

The other advice I have is to intentionally slow down your speaking.  Most people, when they get nervous, tend to talk to fast.  Also never cross your arms.  It tells people that you aren't open to other thoughts or opinions.

Cecil DP

Why limit yourself to Sen Mikulski, there are two Senators and a Congressman who can nominate you, apply through them all. A cadet I knew actually started contacting his senators and congressman when he was a freshman to let them know he would be seeking an appointment three years out, and kept sending them letters for the entire time updating them on his achievements. If offered any other Academy (West Point, Navy, Coast Guard, or even King's Point) accept it.     
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 08, 2010, 07:41:27 PM
Why limit yourself to Sen Mikulski, there are two Senators and a Congressman who can nominate you, apply through them all. A cadet I knew actually started contacting his senators and congressman when he was a freshman to let them know he would be seeking an appointment three years out, and kept sending them letters for the entire time updating them on his achievements. If offered any other Academy (West Point, Navy, Coast Guard, or even King's Point) accept it.   
Yes Sir. Thanks for the feedback.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Gunner C on January 07, 2010, 04:31:13 PM

Good News!

Quote from: GMailSpencer,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Toastmasters.  Your letter was inspiring to me.  Tomorrow we are having an Hagerstown Toastmasters officer's meeting, even though you are not the required 18 years of age to join Toastmasters, I'm going to lobby the officer's to have you participate in speaking at out club.  I can provide you with a manual to work from.

You are welcome to attend our meeting tomorrow night at Hagerstown Public Library, 7PM, basement classroom.

Thank you - Chris

Meeting is tomorrow. Wish me luck! :D

Wright Brothers #13915

Gunner C

Attaboy!  All you had to do was ask.  I think you've got a heck of an asset there.  Remember, you're a guest.  Be on your UTMOST behavior.  (You'll do fine).

DogCollar

Good for you Cadet!

I commend you for reaching out for assistance.  It shows maturity.  I hope that you have fun with the Toastmasters and wish you all the best as you pursue an academy appointment.

Fuzzy

QuoteFirst rule of public speaking:  Never say hooah.

Say "airpower" loudly instead.
C/Capt Semko

Eclipse

Quote from: Fuzzy on January 13, 2010, 07:56:03 PM

Is there a "none of the above" choice?

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on January 13, 2010, 07:57:41 PM
Quote from: Fuzzy on January 13, 2010, 07:56:03 PM

Is there a "none of the above" choice?
Yes, you can say none of the above.  >:D