Main Menu

Any CAPRAPs here?

Started by Toad, September 10, 2008, 08:22:40 PM

Toad

I'm curious if there are any Reservisits or Guardsmen currently serving as a CAPRAP and are members of this discussion board. I'm considering pursuing this as an additional duty, and would like to hear any comments (positive or negative) about the program.

Eclipse

This program is not open to Air National Guard.

Lots of detail here: http://wwwpublic.wpafb.af.mil/cap/res1.htm

Quote from: CAP-RAP Info Page
CIVIL AIR PATROL RESERVE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (CAPRAP)

The Civil Air Patrol Reserve Assistance Program (CAPRAP) provides a unique opportunity for AF Reserve officers and enlisted members to serve as USAF advisors to Civil Air Patrol (CAP) units - the official auxiliary of the Air Force. While serving your country in this reserve assignment and earning retirement points, you will assist in the education of America's civic-minded people on aerospace education, stimulate young people to learn to fly and help develop skills of the CAP in providing emergency services during civil and national disasters.

Most of you know Civil Air Patrol's role with civil defense during emergencies and on search and rescue missions. But, additionally, members of the CAP wings - one in each state, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia - not only keep students, teachers, and other citizens abreast of the latest aerospace advancement but they teach cadets and senior members leadership, physical fitness, and many other activities.

If you want a unique reserve assignment where your former military and current civilian skills can really have an impact on a great team of your fellow Americans, then the CAPRAP is for you!

BENEFITS

The Civil Air Patrol Reserve Assistance Program has many benefits available to the reservists. The 9004th ARS is a Category E, points only program, which means lowest priority for active duty recall. HQ CAP-USAF is also allocated a limited number temporary tour of active duty mandays to support the CAP mission. You, as a member of the 9004th ARS, are eligible to apply for a number of different activities, which are supported by these active duty mandays. Active duty days and inactive duty participation can usually be worked into the reservist's civilian schedule with a nearby CAP unit. You are required to earn 35 points per year, 16 of which are inactive duty training (IDT) periods and then you will receive 15 membership points. Additional points may be earned through active and inactive duty training or completion of ECI correspondence courses.

Reserve and Guard officers and enlisted members may also do the CAPRAP program as an additional duty with approval from their primary duty unit commander. This allows you to do more than your normal training requirements each year to earn additional points for retirement.

For more information please contact the Great Lakes Liaison Region at (937) 257-6836 or DSN 787-6836.

Additional information may also be obtained by contacting:

HQ CAP-USAF/IMR
    105 S HANSELL ST
    MAXWELL AFB AL 36112-6332
    DSN: 493-5225
    Commercial: (334) 953-5225

"That Others May Zoom"

Toad

This program is not open to Air National Guard.

Ah, but it is open to ANG members. At least two ANG members from my Wing served as CAPRAPs, I'm already being sent information from the State Director in my state about the program.

IceNine

Let me preface this with I have never served in any capacity.  However its convenient that you bring this up today.  I met with my local CAPRAP last night in an effort to establish a good working relationship, and as things do this topic came up.

The particular gentlemen in question is a Reserve O-5 and has been a CAPRAP for only about a year.  His impression was that like everything there are a few things that are less than desirable things like through vehicle inspections, Aircraft inspections, and the wing level inspections (the acronym slips my mind).  He said those things are a once every few months thing so they really aren't that big of a deal.

Outside of those tedious things he said he is Really enjoying this duty and plans to do it until they force him out.

If it helps, a lot of people keep doing this year after year for nothing but points, so it can't be all bad.

Side Note- He said at first it got to him that he couldn't fly our planes but something about, rated guys in the AF would have to be paid to fly, and it would go from a points job to a paid job.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Toad

This is in the first paragraph of a word document for a CAPRAP brochure, found through a search of the CAP Knowledgebase.

Want to Join?
If you are an Air Force Reserve or National Guard member and you are looking for a new assignment, take a few minutes and look at the Civil Air Patrol Reserve Assistance Program (CAPRAP).

dhon27

I had a conversation with a Guard member who had apparently spoken to our State Director about CAPRAP.  He indicated that he would have to transition to the Reserves to participate and that the transition would be facilitated by the SD.  However, that is just based on what he relayed was relayed to him, so it might not be fully accurate.

Toad

The Illinois SD initially asked me if I was willing to transfer from my unit to the Reserve, and I explained that since I was an Air National Guard Technician, that wasn't a possibility (since I must be a member of the ANG to retain my full-time  technician job). He then said I just needed approval from my Commander to participate in the program as an additional duty.

Eclipse

Well, then I'm going to semi-stand by what I said, while there may be exceptions to this in the same capacity
as any other Guardsman doing TDY as a Reservist, this is a reservist program first and foremost.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on September 10, 2008, 08:59:05 PMThe particular gentlemen in question is a Reserve O-5 and has been a CAPRAP for only about a year.  His impression was that like everything there are a few things that are less than desirable things like through vehicle inspections, Aircraft inspections, and the wing level inspections (the acronym slips my mind). 

Probably either Compliance Inspections (CI) or Staff Assistant Visits (SAV), the SAV's are kind of like a physical where they don't make you cough. 

Quote from: IceNine on September 10, 2008, 08:59:05 PM
If it helps, a lot of people keep doing this year after year for nothing but points, so it can't be all bad.

That's all you'll get - points, expenses, and sometimes per-diem.  You have to make so many visits to units in your AOR in a specified amount of time, and then some are assigned to be part of CI, SAV, or Biennial Inspection teams.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

We use our CAPRAP folks a lot for role-playing during SAREVALs. 

Dustoff

To be ASSIGNED (as in permanent duty station) as a CAPRAP'r you must be a member of the Air Force Reserve.  It is a Reserve only  program.  I currently work with one member who transferred from the Air Guard to the Reserve.

To be assigned, however, you MUST have served in the AF in some capacity.  Members of other branches are not eligible to transfer to the CAPRAP program unless the meet the above requirement.

To be ATTACHED (as in an additional duty) you can be a member of EITHER the AF Reserve or Air Guard.  You only need your commander's permission to participate.

It's not a quick process to transfer into the program.  The norm seems to be about 6 months after your paperwork gets submitted, until your orders get cut.

In the North Central Liaison Region we currently have about 20 reserve staff, 4 active duty (one of them currently serving a 1-year tour in the sandbox - Hi Eric!), and 2 civilians.  With projected retirements we are going to drop to 16 on the reserve side of the house before too long.  Last number I heard was that there were only about 300 of us total for all 50 states.  We're stretched pretty thin...

When you get the chance, approach your local CAP-USAF Reserve member (aka CAPRAP).  Discuss with them ways that they might be able to help your program.  We can do so much more that just role-playing during SAREVALs.  (As a side note - I once had my father-in-law role-play as the missing pilots brother during a SAREVAL - he had a blast helping)

Ask about programs that they might be able to present or facilitate.  What kinds of resources can they tap to help your cadets?  How can they help with ES or AE?  They are knowledgeable and have their military experience to draw upon.

We have cadet KC-135 ride scheduled for later this month.  Arranged by that CAP-USAF Reserve Liaison Officer (aka CAPRAP) who transferred from the Air Guard.  It's with his old unit.  He knew just the folks to talk with to make it happen.

I frequently help by instructing about military, medical, or ES topics.  Areas in which I have some expertise.  This year I've served as an evaluator for both the MO and NE evaluated SAREX's.  I've also "helped" with the KS and IA guided training exercises (GTE).  Additionally I provided "medical support" during part of the NCR/NE encampment this year.  Their are LOTS of ways that we can help you.  Just start the discussion, we're waiting to be asked!

TSgt Jim Laning
North Central Liaison Region
Jim

C130Eng

I'm in the Kenosha, Wisconsin area.  Who is the CAPRAP contact for either Wisconsin or Illinois? Anyone CAPRAP'ers from these area's?.  I'm a former C130 Flight Engineer and would like to share my experience and knowelge. I'm also a Private Pilot (Inst. Rated). I understand that I would be assigned to Maxwell AFB. Is there a Recruiter contact name or CAPRAP Recruiter I can contact? Thanks,

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

CAPRAP Officers and NCO aren't permitted to be CAP members, correct?  Conflict of interests and all?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

IIRC, you would have to go Patron while assigned to CAPRAP.
Mike Johnston

Cecil DP

Several years ago MAWG had a CAPRAP officer who was told he couldn't be a member and a CAPRAP at the same time so he droped his membership. When he retired from the USAFR he immediately rejoined CAP.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

DG

My understanding from our last CAPRAP is that one down side is that they are not authorized to fly CAP aircraft.

RiverAux

we've got at least one who is also a full-CAP member. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on September 29, 2008, 10:36:34 PM
we've got at least one who is also a full-CAP member. 

While I don't doubt that, I'd still question if that is authorized.  I seriously doubt that NHQ has any cross-reference check, and like a lot of things in CAP, if no one makes an issue of it, it floats, "legal" or not.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

I just asked my SD this question directly - CAPRAPS are limited to Patron status (and we all know Patrons can't participate in meetings, missions, and training, etc.) hence...

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

<-- Wishes you could be a CAPRap and do that function anywhere besides but your home state (home state being the Wing your in)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

DNall

I do believe CAP-USAF personnel are allowed to fly CAP aircraft (don't know about vans), but not on missions/training. I know that used to be the case that they'd check out a CAP plane to fly to CAP-USAF duties (including to maxwell).

Eclipse

Quote from: DNall on October 01, 2008, 04:29:10 PM
I do believe CAP-USAF personnel are allowed to fly CAP aircraft (don't know about vans), but not on missions/training. I know that used to be the case that they'd check out a CAP plane to fly to CAP-USAF duties (including to maxwell).

The same source tells me CAPRAPs may not fly CAP aircraft, and even to be passengers they must have special permission.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dustoff

Not entirely correct.  The active duty CAP-USAF personnel and SD's are authorized to fly CAP-USAF aircraft.  This is through an arrangement between CAP-USAF and CAP.  Newly assigned AD pilots MUST go through an AF-run aircraft orientation program.  CAPRAP personnel, the reserve side of the house can be passengers in CAP aircraft with PRIOR permission of the Liaison Region C/C or DO. A phone call or email usually suffices, remember though, this is in performance of their official duties.

CAPRAP personnel are only allowed to be patron members of CAP.  If somebody is wearing both hats, they are in violation of an AF Instruction (I almost wrote regulation - ha) though at the moment I can't find the reference.

Though CAPRAP'rs are assigned to a particular wing, they are a regional asset.  They can, with their supervisor's approval, perform their duties anywhere in their region.  And by working through their region commander, they can perform duties in other regions.

TSgt Jim Laning
CAP-USAF Det. 5 (NCLR)
Jim

Eclipse

CAP-USAF personnel and State Directors are by definition not CAPRAPS, which is what we are discussing here.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

But he was talking about CAPRAP's Bob, read it again.

Toad

Well, I'm officially in. My State Diriector met with me and gave me the required briefings today. I look forward to visiting the Illinois Squadrons, primarily in Group 3, but I'm allowed to visit any squadron in the state.
I hope to meet as many Illinois Wing members on this discussion board as possible. It's good to put faces with the names.

TSgt Todd Pendleton
Base Multimedia Manager
182d Airlift Wing, IL ANG