What is your Favorite part of CAP?

Started by Thunderbird, March 19, 2015, 01:16:50 AM

Thunderbird

What is or are some of your favorite parts of being part of the Civil Air Patrol?

Robert Hartigan

The Civil part is okay. The Patrol part is pretty good, too. But, my favorite part is the Air.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Thunderbird

Both times I've been in the air have been such a wonderful experience and they have made me almost certain that I want to pursue flight.

Salty

The cadet program has always been my favorite.  Of course as a former cadet, I'm a tad bit biased.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Salty on March 19, 2015, 02:49:10 AM
The cadet program has always been my favorite.  Of course as a former cadet, I'm a tad bit biased.

Yea, not sure if I'd be back as a SM if there wasn't a CP to keep me more involved than ES would...

Panzerbjorn

The flying, of course.  Of the flying, doing O-flights.  Of the O-flights, doing first flights for cadets.  Nothing beats giving a cadet their first flight.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Private Investigator

O-rides is at the top. For me it rotates ES - CP - AE so the flavor of the month is currently AE  8)

C/Cool

I have to say being on staff at encampments. Already done it twice and on again this year :D
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: C/Cool on March 19, 2015, 06:10:10 PM
I have to say being on staff at encampments. Already done it twice and on again this year :D

Encampments are big. 5 as cadet, 3rd as SM this year. 6 as Staff.

Spam

Handing a missing kid back alive and safe to his parents, was my hands down best day in CAP, followed by helping families in distress in DR missions.

Other than that, close second is working with cadets weekly and eventually hearing back from them after they've gone on to live great productive lives. I think the best gig there is to be a local Squadron CO (*line over staff, any day).

V/R,
Spam

(says the current staff officer, awaiting his next SAV...)

Grumpy

Coffee and doughnuts at training ain't bad   ;)

Thunderbird

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on March 19, 2015, 03:55:28 AM
The flying, of course.  Of the flying, doing O-flights.  Of the O-flights, doing first flights for cadets.  Nothing beats giving a cadet their first flight.

Thank you for dedicating time to cadets. My first flight, my jaw dropped the second the wheel lifted off the ground, and it was the best experience ever. I can't think of a better one...

EMT-83

The cadet who returns from a service academy and says thanks for the guidance, or the note from a parent saying thanks for helping my kid find his way.

Oh, we also get to fly.

Chappie

The Chaplain Corps :) and Cadet Programs.  I do enjoy Aerospace Education and Emergency Services (don't get in the air much since what I do keeps me on the ground in ES).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thunderbird

Storm Chaser

ES and operations in general. I'm fortunate to have a very operational group with enough training funds and missions (not necessarily SAR) to keep us busy.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Thunderbird on March 20, 2015, 08:56:16 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 20, 2015, 08:39:44 PM
The donuts?  >:D

Yes. I do love it when they bring donuts.   8)

My credit card has a charge of $82.25 in donuts on it. But I did get a 10% discount   8)

Salty

That's a lot of doughnuts.  You're contributing to the wear of the CAP corporate uniforms.

:P
CAP Cadet 1989-1994

Thunderbird

Quote from: Salty on March 21, 2015, 10:01:35 PM
That's a lot of doughnuts.  You're contributing to the wear of the CAP corporate uniforms.

:P

The extra large ones at that.

Thonawit

First post....

Doughnuts...  Went to my first SAREX yesterday and ate more doughnuts yesterday than I had in a year...

Seriously, I have been a CAP member for about 9 months thanks to my son, I enjoy all aspects of CAP but am split with AE (I am the unit AE officer) and ES with an emphasis on Communications.

Also for the most part, the other members of CAP
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

Capt Thompson

Through CAP, I have had the opportunity to travel to places and meet people that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

My favorite part was always ES, but I was at a Squadron that didn't have access to a plane. My current Squadron has pilots and a plane, and I start scanner training in the fall, so stay tuned.....

What I'm most looking forward to this year, is MIWG SAR Academy......8 days of being disconnected from society, without my cell phone, just training!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Airplane girl

Why does everyone keep talking about doughnuts? I've been in CAP for a year now, and I've never seen doughnuts at a CAP squadron meeting or activity.

But anyway, my favorite part of CAP. I don't know, everything? Probably encampment.

Plane

Mmm...SAREX doughnuts

I probably most enjoy ES, and the cadet program as a whole, especially drill.  I also thoroughly enjoyed staffing encampment.
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121

Private Investigator

Quote from: Thonawit on March 22, 2015, 03:10:09 PM
First post....

Doughnuts...  Went to my first SAREX yesterday and ate more doughnuts yesterday than I had in a year...

Seriously, I have been a CAP member for about 9 months thanks to my son, I enjoy all aspects of CAP but am split with AE (I am the unit AE officer) and ES with an emphasis on Communications.

Also for the most part, the other members of CAP

Was that not an awesome SAREX? Have fun, I love AE too and welcome to CAP Talk  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Airplane girl on March 22, 2015, 03:56:17 PM
Why does everyone keep talking about doughnuts? I've been in CAP for a year now, and I've never seen doughnuts at a CAP squadron meeting or activity.

But anyway, my favorite part of CAP. I don't know, everything? Probably encampment.

You must be in the "Healthy Valley Squadron"! At Petticoat Junction we love the donut!  8)

SarDragon

It could be that in their AOR, donuts are reserved for the Donut-eating S'Members.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Stealth doughnuts. The KK-22 Rapture is the best.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Maybe you need to start bringing the doughnuts yourself. ;)

Al Sayre

Donuts?  I thought everyone's favorite would be arguing on CAPTalk... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Pulsar

Absolute favorite part:
Awesome people who know what they're talking about and have lots of relevant information; The opportunities ( 8))

Least favorite part:
Not Awesome people who think they are awesome, don't know what they are talking about, or have lots of irrelevant information.

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

FW

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 23, 2015, 04:53:03 PM
Donuts?  I thought everyone's favorite would be arguing on CAPTalk... >:D

Maybe arguing about CAPTalk... >:D

Donuts... Definitely Donuts... ;D

C/Cool

So it looks like everyone's favorite is eating donuts while flying a plane while also arguing on CAPtalk. Sounds about standard.
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

Salty

CAP Cadet 1989-1994

Plane

Quote from: Pulsar on March 23, 2015, 04:59:14 PM
Awesome people who know what they're talking about and have lots of relevant information

I wholeheartedly agree with this!
C/2d Lt Matt Claar
Mitchell Award #65121

Airplane girl

Perhaps it's because I've neve been on a SAREX. I don't think the SMs in my unit are hiding doughnuts. Although with the KK-22 Rapture stealth doughnut, you never know. Maybe I should start bringing doughnuts, though.

And actually, I'm on CAPTalk and on a plane at the same time. (We haven't taken off yet and I'm not the pilot. It's a Boeing 747)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Airplane girl on March 24, 2015, 01:43:37 AM
Perhaps it's because I've neve been on a SAREX. I don't think the SMs in my unit are hiding doughnuts. Although with the KK-22 Rapture stealth doughnut, you never know. Maybe I should start bringing doughnuts, though.

And actually, I'm on CAPTalk and on a plane at the same time. (We haven't taken off yet and I'm not the pilot. It's a Boeing 747)

A cadet in my old unit made cookies on occasion. Better than donuts. Also, Cadet Cookies sounds a lot better than Cadet Bag O'Donuts.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

CadetSnuffy

That's because the senior members wait until all the cadets are out doing drill before they eat them.  >:D
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

AirAux

Nice, fresh, hot, Krispy Kremes....  Can there ever be too many?  Can there ever be enough??

SarDragon

Quote from: AirAux on March 24, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
Nice, fresh, hot, Krispy Kremes....  Can there ever be too many?  Can there ever be enough??

Yes, and yes. I hereby bequeath you my entire lifetime, worldwide supply. IMNSHO, they suck.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret