Anybody from nebraska on here??

Started by C/Awesomenesss, August 29, 2013, 03:14:00 PM

C/Awesomenesss

Quote from: NEBoom on August 31, 2013, 03:13:58 PM
Quote from: Androbic on August 30, 2013, 03:39:27 AM
Quote from: NEBoom on August 30, 2013, 02:45:30 AM
Quote from: Androbic on August 29, 2013, 03:14:00 PM
Is there anybody from nebraska on here???

I'm in Lincoln, born and raised (from Waverly actually but close enough).  Former 155th and Wing Staffer.  Inacive right now.

Cool CAP is really fun. Im at the one at offutt AFB. I like going on O-Flights.

Glad you like it.  And you're in a good unit too.  Make the most of the experience, learn all you can, and have fun!

Thanks. My unit commander said tht we dont have any more money this yr thats why we can't have any O-Flights. Is that true?

Eclipse

Quote from: Androbic on August 31, 2013, 03:27:05 PM
Thanks. My unit commander said tht we dont have any more money this yr thats why we can't have any O-Flights. Is that true?

It's at least likely.

September is the last month of the fiscal year, and all funded operations have to be completed by the ~15th.
If you wing flew a lot of rides, then they may have already used up their budget.

With that said, there are wings returning money because they didn't fly, and other wings can request those funds.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

I rather be a Kentucky Colonel. They get fried chicken and a pretty awesome gravy too   :clap:

C/Awesomenesss

:-\
Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2013, 03:59:42 PM
Quote from: Androbic on August 31, 2013, 03:27:05 PM

It's at least likely.

September is the last month of the fiscal year, and all funded operations have to be completed by the ~15th.
If you wing flew a lot of rides, then they may have already used up their budget.

With that said, there are wings returning money because they didn't fly, and other wings can request those funds.

Our wing only has about 4 planes. So I dont know how many o-flights we did

a2capt

Quote from: Androbic on September 01, 2013, 02:39:33 AMOur wing only has about 4 planes. So I dont know how many o-flights we did
Heh, wow. To imagine that I could have seen 3/4ths of an entire wing's fleet on the ramp today, at a small airport.

There's two planes in our county. Used to be four in the group, without counting gliders. But the group split.

C/Awesomenesss

Quote from: a2capt on September 01, 2013, 02:57:55 AM
Quote from: Androbic on September 01, 2013, 02:39:33 AMOur wing only has about 4 planes. So I dont know how many o-flights we did
Heh, wow. To imagine that I could have seen 3/4ths of an entire wing's fleet on the ramp today, at a small airport.

There's two planes in our county. Used to be four in the group, without counting gliders. But the group split.

Wow what wing r u in. you can PM this if you want

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 31, 2013, 04:20:49 PM
I rather be a Kentucky Colonel. They get fried chicken and a pretty awesome gravy too   :clap:

And the biscuits ... don't forget about the biscuits ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

I apologize in advance if I come across as jumping on someone ... but this is one of the biggest pet peeves I have regarding modern communication (and yes, this is the teacher in me coming through):

Quote from: Androbic on September 01, 2013, 03:20:51 AM

If you have the time to write out the sentence, you have the time to write out each word in the sentence.  Reducing "are you" to "r u" is just fine for text messages, but not so very good in any form of actual written communication.  I've had my students re-do entire papers because they tried to be "cute" and use these little texting techniques.

Again, I don't want to be seen as being critical of someone, but this gets right under my skin and makes me itch.  You're not texting here, you're writing.  Use the words, and proper punctuation, and all that stuff that we all slept through in English class.

/soapbox

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Private Investigator

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 01, 2013, 10:00:46 AM

Jack

Yes, the biscuits too. I really like the KFC buffet. I travel across stateline just to have the buffet.

Which reminds me of a story; When I was a young Marine Sergeant somebody asked where I went for dinner last night. I innocently answered, "I had dinner at the Colonel's." Needless to say somebody overheard that and you know how rumors are ...   8)

C/Awesomenesss

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 01, 2013, 10:11:49 AM
I apologize in advance if I come across as jumping on someone ... but this is one of the biggest pet peeves I have regarding modern communication (and yes, this is the teacher in me coming through):

Quote from: Androbic on September 01, 2013, 03:20:51 AM

If you have the time to write out the sentence, you have the time to write out each word in the sentence.  Reducing "are you" to "r u" is just fine for text messages, but not so very good in any form of actual written communication.  I've had my students re-do entire papers because they tried to be "cute" and use these little texting techniques.

Again, I don't want to be seen as being critical of someone, but this gets right under my skin and makes me itch.  You're not texting here, you're writing.  Use the words, and proper punctuation, and all that stuff that we all slept through in English class.

/soapbox

Jack

sorry

a2capt

Quote from: Androbic on September 01, 2013, 10:17:24 PMSorry.
Fixed that for you. The short version.

A few excerpts from: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=17794.0

QuoteThe English language has only three single letter words.
A: an indefinite article.  He left a pencil on the table.
I: a nominative pronoun used when describing from a singular person context.
O: commonly used in poetry to translate Latin vocatively in the form of an interjection.

I and O are always capitalized when used, and A would be if of course, it was the beginning of the sentence or a title

Garibaldi

Don't let it get to you. Mainly, we older types are just appalled at what we consider "lazy brain", where kids have the attention span of a newborn gnat. When we were kids, all we had to occupy our attention was MTV, back when they showed actual videos. In fact, I blame MTV for starting the whole 3-minute attention span, attention-deficit thing. I once was watching Saturday morning TV a few years ago and saw a commercial for McDonald's, but you wouldn't know it until they put the Golden Arches in the lower right corner three seconds before the commercial ended. Had nothing to do with selling burgers. And the TV shows? No wonder kids these days abbreviate everything into text-ese. We're just trying, one kid at a time, to change the world.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/Awesomenesss

Quote from: a2capt on September 01, 2013, 11:12:40 PM
Quote from: Androbic on September 01, 2013, 10:17:24 PMSorry.
Fixed that for you. The short version.

A few excerpts from: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=17794.0

QuoteThe English language has only three single letter words.
A: an indefinite article.  He left a pencil on the table.
I: a nominative pronoun used when describing from a singular person context.
O: commonly used in poetry to translate Latin vocatively in the form of an interjection.

I and O are always capitalized when used, and A would be if of course, it was the beginning of the sentence or a title

thanks. >:( >:D

jimmydeanno

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 01, 2013, 10:00:46 AM

Jack

The Biscuits have nothing to do with Kentucky, they're from Montgomery.  Always knew you were an NHQ spy.   >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

C/Awesomenesss

husker

The Biscuits were terrible this year.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov