Check Pilot Direcotry and other questions

Started by travler1, June 22, 2013, 12:57:45 AM

travler1

Hi all,

I'm a new Senior Member and have a few questions I am hoping someone could help me with...

1. Is there a directory of check pilots available to give VFR pilot check rides? My ultimate goal is SAR/DR pilot and I have all the PIC hours required, but I understand I need to be a VFR pilot 1st, correct? I am in the NYWG and cannot seem to find any way to find an check pilot with whom I can schedule a checkride. Is there a way to look one up, and if not, how do I find a check pilot?

2. My squadron is a cadet squadron. Upon reading some of the posts, I get the impression that being in a cadet squadron offers different (fewer) opportunities to a senior member than a senior squadron would. I only joined this particular sqaudron because it was the closest local one to where I live. Am I missing out on some of the more advanced SAR/DR learning opprtunies (especially as a pilot) due to this? Or is it likely I'd have a lot of flying time being the only pilot in my squadron? 

3. I will be at NESA next month for MS training and have heard that it is possible to schedule a checkride (for VFR Pilot) after the course is completed. Has anyone done this before or would anyone know how to go about doing it (if possible)?

Thanks in advance everyone!

bosshawk

Quickest and best way to find a check pilot is to contact the Standardization and Evaluation Officer of your wing.  He runs the check pilot program for your wing(unless my memory it too old), so he knows who the Check Pilots are.

You will likely have to go through a preliminary program to become a Mission Pilot: first, you do a VFR check ride to become a Transport Pilot.  Then, you do some training flights with either a Mentor Pilot or a Check Pilot to learn how CAP does things(they are different).  Then, a Mission Pilot Check Ride to become a full up Mission Pilot.  I think that you also have to be a qualified Mission Scanner in order to become a Mission Pilot.  Check with the Operations Section of your wing to get the precise steps necessary.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Jaketj98

1. Log into E-services
2. Click on op-quals
3. Click on reports
4. Select check pilot - airplane from the drop down menu
5. Select the squadron / wing that you want to find pilots
5a. NER-NY-001 New York Wing HQ will give you a lit of all the check pilots in your wing.

As far as being a pilot in a cadet squadron, if you are willing to put in the effort you wont be missing out on anything. And you might even get more flight time if you are able to be an O-ride pilot. You just have to be self motivated about finding what training you want / need and who can give it to you.

Eclipse

Quote from: travler1 on June 22, 2013, 12:57:45 AM1. Is there a directory of check pilots available to give VFR pilot check rides? My ultimate goal is SAR/DR pilot and I have all the PIC hours required, but I understand I need to be a VFR pilot 1st, correct? I am in the NYWG and cannot seem to find any way to find an check pilot with whom I can schedule a checkride. Is there a way to look one up, and if not, how do I find a check pilot?

You'll need a Form 5 Check ride to be a VFR pilot - that earns you your CAP wings and allows you to rent / fly aircraft for other training.
For people new to CAP, it's a good idea to go up with an experienced pilot and walk through the expectations.

In order to begin to train as a Mission Pilot, you first have to be a qualified Mission Scanner - that's a fair number of tasks and two missions.

Mission Pilot has it's own SQTR of tasks, requires another two missions, and you will need to complete a Form 91 checkride with a Form 91 Check pilot.

After that, the Form 5's are annual (and paid for by CAP if you do them timely), and the 91's are every two years.

Quote from: travler1 on June 22, 2013, 12:57:45 AM
3. I will be at NESA next month for MS training and have heard that it is possible to schedule a checkride (for VFR Pilot) after the course is completed. Has anyone done this before or would anyone know how to go about doing it (if possible)?

NESA is not the place to be doing your Form 5.

"That Others May Zoom"