I just got my mitchell and...

Started by C/Munlz, January 22, 2013, 02:25:47 AM

C/Munlz

...i feel really lazy in CAP now. I never felt this before and i promised myself this wouldn't happen. An after some reflecting i think these are my problems

1. I joining the Army soon and i wont be a cadet anymore ill be doing the REAL stuff the military does and not be withheld by little restrictions.
2. As a senior im saving for grad bash {and hopefully prom still not sure if i can get there} and i just don't want to spend anything on a new uniform or accessories that i have to put on because i am an officer.
3. I don't even have a support job because of my inactivity so ill be the same as an annoying airman {there's lot of those in my squadron sometimes}.
4. The whole ghost promotion thing that CAP has really put into question of how much i really want to move up again {I barely got through the comprehensive test for the Mitchell because of that switch over}.

Any word of the wise of whether i should quit or not?

Майор Хаткевич

1) That's a life choice that is up to you.
2) Another life choice
3) I'm surprised you were promoted
4) What?

Patterson

If I were your Squadron Commander I woul not even think twice about not promoting you and would most likely show you the door.  Good luck in the Army!

Pylon

How long do you have before your ship date to basic training for the Army?  Have you already signed your enlistment papers?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

Congratulations on your Mitchell.

Stay safe, be strong, Army strong   :clap:

coudano

Quote from: C/Munlz on January 22, 2013, 02:25:47 AM
1. I joining the Army soon and i wont be a cadet anymore ill be doing the REAL stuff the military does ...and not be withheld by little restrictions.

lol...

ah, to be young again :)

(that said, you can do what you want to do.  it's not like you will be the first, or last, cadet to get the Mitchell award and let your foot off the gas and coast until you leave the program)

johnnyb47

I think this is a point where you could be, at the very least, paving the way for others to reach the same level of success in the program that you have.
You could quit. You have reached a goal that you set for yourself and have little time to try reaching a new goal in the program. No one would stop you.
On the other hand you could spend the next several months showing others how to prepare, succeed and achieve their goals.
If you are joining the army (thank you) one thing you will need to have a firm grasp on is teamwork.
If you can't be part of a team as like the CAP cadet program now how well are you going to succeed at being part of the big leagues?
If I were in your shoes (and sometimes, I wish I was now that I'm getting older) I would continue in the program until I ship out.
You have much to teach but you also have much to learn.

How will you ever be able to lead if you only ever demonstrate the ability to quit right when things get 'hard'?

Just my $.02
Good luck in your decision and in your future.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Майор Хаткевич

But those airmen are annoying, and the $20 is too much for some slides and cloth insignia.

johnnyb47

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 22, 2013, 06:09:30 PM
But those airmen are annoying, and the $20 is too much for some slides and cloth insignia.
People say the darndest things when they are trying to justify making the wrong choice.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stonewall

Quote from: C/Munlz on January 22, 2013, 02:25:47 AM
...i feel really lazy in CAP now. I never felt this before and i promised myself this wouldn't happen. An after some reflecting i think these are my problems

1. I joining the Army soon and i wont be a cadet anymore ill be doing the REAL stuff the military does and not be withheld by little restrictions.
2. As a senior im saving for grad bash {and hopefully prom still not sure if i can get there} and i just don't want to spend anything on a new uniform or accessories that i have to put on because i am an officer.
3. I don't even have a support job because of my inactivity so ill be the same as an annoying airman {there's lot of those in my squadron sometimes}.
4. The whole ghost promotion thing that CAP has really put into question of how much i really want to move up again {I barely got through the comprehensive test for the Mitchell because of that switch over}.

Any word of the wise of whether i should quit or not?

1. I was in Army DEP my senior year while still striving for my Mitchell, which I got presented to me days before shipping off.  While I looked forward to my new life in the RealMilitary®, I knew I'd miss the fun I was having in CAP; going on missions, leading, being cadet commander, etc.  You see, in the RealMilitary®, as a newby, you'll be at the bottom of the barrel and if you think it's going to be FUN, especially during entry level training, you be wrong. 

2.  My senior year I went on a SCUBA trip with my girlfriend instead of prom, and I didn't have a "bash" after graduation.  High School, to me, was a "must do", but I didn't care for it.  My friends were in CAP, not so much my fellow students at school.  As for spending more on uniform items, what's it going to be, under $20?  Don't worry about service dress, just get some epaulets and some cloth rank for BDUs and call it a day.

3.  You don't need a "job", support or otherwise.  I've had cadet officers and NCOs that were seniors in high school who couldn't commit to every meeting, but we used their wealth of CAP knowledge, skills, and experience to fill in for specific classes.  We gave them a time frame and scheduled them to teach a specific subject/topic so they were still participating but CAP wasn't putting any real burden on their limited time as graduation approached.

4.  You don't have to move up again.  If you're on your final approach to shipping off to the Army, enjoy yourself as a C/2d Lt and just contribute where/when you can.  You don't HAVE to earn your Earhart or Spaatz. 

FWIW, as soon as I was in the Army, at Basic Training and Infantry School, as well as the rest of my enlistment, I often reflected on and missed my Cadet Daze.  I always wondered what the guys and girls a year or so behind me were up to in CAP.  I stopped by to visit a few times over the years, but the only thing that didn't change, in some cases, were the "lifer" senior members.  But hey, who would have thought that 1 1/2 years into my enlistment I'd run into some cadets on Veterans Day and be asked to stop by their meeting where I later switched over to the dark side.  Which leads me to my last bit of advice.  Don't drop your membership, keep it active for a year or two so you don't have a break in service if you later decide to help out at a local squadron when you get to your duty station.
Serving since 1987.

Rick-DEL

Flying Pig

I was in the same boat.  I made it to C/2Lt and literally just stopped caring about promoting and CAP all together.  I was in the Marine DEP, I had enjoyed my time in CAP and I knew that chapter in life was closing.  I was tired of studying and taking tests and just wanted to enjoy being a cadet officer, doing my particular assignment (whatever it was) and calling it a day when it came time to leave.  My last 5-6 months, I came to nly 1-2 meetings per month.  On my last meeting, I came in uniform, spoke to the Sq, had a little cake and punch in my honor and left for the last time never intending to return.  6 years later, I found myself as the Deputy Commander for Cadets at the very same unit I had left ;D

Whether or not you should quit is up to you.  How long before you leave for Basic?  I would not just quit.  I would stay active until you ship out, and then write a short letter saying you are letting your membership lapse because of joining the military.  Stick it in your file and be done with it.  Someday you may come back as a Senior, or you may never give CAP another thought.  Given your place in life, finish the race you started, and when its time to wrap it up, shake hands, say good bye and turn the page. 

C/Munlz

Thanks for the advice ill be sure to think about this some more with what you have all said.

Safety and happiness to all  :)

RogueLeader

Quote from: C/Munlz on January 22, 2013, 10:53:36 PM
Safety and happiness to all  :)

Being a CAP Safety Officer, and former Army Safety/OSHA NCO; that phrase is seldom heard.  Usually I get the same reaction people have when somebody says:
I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
or
Command really wants your honest feedback.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340