Calling Area to Attention

Started by C/SMSgt Travis, December 07, 2010, 11:20:26 PM

SARDOC

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 14, 2010, 08:56:58 PM
I didn't know it wasn't a CAP custom, we did it as cadets and our cadets do it now. I know it is a military wide practice, except I do not know for the NAVY and CG.
I knew it was common practice when I was in the Army and even then it was primarily for the 1SG or SGM.  I can't recall ever doing it during my Navy days

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: SarDragon on December 14, 2010, 09:33:32 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 14, 2010, 04:59:29 PM
You would call a room to At-ease for an NCO.

I have NEVER seen this, EVER.

I've seen it more times than I can count, and Is can cant purdy hi.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: SarDragon on December 14, 2010, 09:33:32 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 14, 2010, 04:59:29 PM
You would call a room to At-ease for an NCO.

I have NEVER seen this, EVER.

Ditto.    However, every time the Bgde/CC came into the DFAC while I was in the sandbox, the DFAC was called to "At Ease" - which I thought was a tad odd.   But hey, it was the Army..  :)

WIWAC we called the room to attention when an officer superior to those present entered, period, Cadet and Senior.

Haven't seen it done here in FLWG, which I think is odd/a shame/distasteful, but I've thus far chosen not to make a stink about it, especially given how resistant people are to other aspects of C&C and adherence to certain regs.

nesagsar

QuoteWIWAC we called the room to attention when an officer superior to those present entered, period, Cadet and Senior.

This is how IL wing does it, every squadron. Cadets learn to develop good SA watching the doors for surprises.

RobertAmphibian

Quote from: nesagsar on December 15, 2010, 04:29:13 PM
This is how IL wing does it, every squadron.

How do you know that?

As a side note, officers walking into a room shouldn't really be "surprises."

DBlair

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 14, 2010, 10:52:45 PM
Haven't seen it done here in FLWG, which I think is odd/a shame/distasteful, but I've thus far chosen not to make a stink about it, especially given how resistant people are to other aspects of C&C and adherence to certain regs.

This is something we're starting to work on in Group 3.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

AlphaSigOU

In a roomful of officers only, whenever the commander enters a room, it's customary to call 'Ladies and gentlemen, the commander!' instead of popping off 'Room, ten-hut!'
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

manfredvonrichthofen

I have a standard rule, you either observe all C&C or none at all. You don't pick parts of any regulation/manual and practice only what you want to. In CAP we observe and practice military customs and courtesies, all of them. I think we need to get back to making common courtesies common again. Saluting, standing at attention when talking to an officer and parade rest while talking to NCOs, Saluting officers even while passing, and one of the most important, to me that is, saluting the U.S. Flag.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: DBlair on December 15, 2010, 05:46:48 PM

That would be refreshing.  I had recommended it when I was on the Group Staff, but it fell on deaf ears.

spaatzmom

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 15, 2010, 06:53:54 PM
Quote from: DBlair on December 15, 2010, 05:46:48 PM

That would be refreshing.  I had recommended it when I was on the Group Staff, but it fell on deaf ears.

Wow, when did it stop?  When my son was on group staff in then Group 8, it was done at group and squadron level.  Granted when he moved to wing staff, most of the settings were at like conferences where during classrooms it was not done, but I believe still should have been done with minimal interruption of the class.

Senty7

(Don't mind me...just stirring a bit.)  :angel:

It should be noted that the "ten-hut" is located between the nine-hut and the eleven-hut.  I've been out for over 24 years, and "huts" were aggressively corrected at every Army leadership school even then.  (All together now... "We're not the Army!") 

The proper command was, and is:  "(element size), atten-SHUN!"

--Senty

HGjunkie

Quote from: Senty7 on December 15, 2010, 07:50:40 PM
(Don't mind me...just stirring a bit.)  :angel:

It should be noted that the "ten-hut" is located between the nine-hut and the eleven-hut.  I've been out for over 24 years, and "huts" were aggressively corrected at every Army leadership school even then.  (All together now... "We're not the Army!") 

The proper command was, and is:  "(element size), atten-SHUN!"
--Senty

All together now... "We're not the Army!"

Said as "Tench-hut" during CAP D&C.

:angel:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Senty7

:angel: Cite, please? 

All together now... "We're not the Army!"

:angel: But you have Ranger Teams (see parallel thread cooking along elsewhere on this board). 

V/R, and best regards to all,

--Senty

SKI304

Quote from: Senty7 on December 15, 2010, 08:12:14 PM
:angel: Cite, please?

AFMAN 36-2203, Page 16, Figure 2.2 (bottom left corner)
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

Senty7

^Thank you.

Potentially conflicted by the same publication, paragraphs 2.6.4 and 3.3.2.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Senty7 on December 15, 2010, 08:37:53 PM
^Thank you.

Potentially conflicted by the same publication, paragraphs 2.6.4 and 3.3.2.

They're said differently than they're spelled. I think it has to do with ease of reading the manual.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Personally I can't stand when people call tench hut. Why would any one want to yell fish house?

HGjunkie

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 15, 2010, 09:06:26 PM
Personally I can't stand when people call tench hut. Why would any one want to yell fish house?
'Cause that's how the AF does it...  :)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Senty7

^Well, move out smartly and carry on, then...  :)