Main Menu

ROTC

Started by tmurphy, December 02, 2010, 02:27:37 AM

tmurphy

I have a question about ROTC, mainly Army, but the question could span to all programs. I know the last two years of ROTC you are contracted to serve, in which case you have to meet physical and weight requirements. My question is that can you be outside of weight requirements to do the first two years of ROTC that are not contracted if you aren't granted a scholarship to participate?

I've tried to find out this information myself, but if there is anyone on here who is or has been a part of ROTC as a cadet or as an instructor, please let me know.
TIFFANY J. MURPHY, 2d Lt, CAP
Health Services Officer
Livonia Thunderbolt Composite Squadron
GLR-MI-183

RLM10_2_06

Yes; anybody is allowed to PARTICIPATE in ROTC, to an extent, which usually includes PT. In fact, I've found that a number of those who do contract have had to work to meet standards. That said, if you ARE overweight/out-of-shape, you DO have to meet standards to contract. The level of improvement in the first two years is often a factor in deciding whether or not to contract you, but don't expect to pull a last-minute fix; I've seen a number of people lose promised contracts because they couldn't pass their PT test.

So, to summarize, yes, but meet standards as quickly as possible. (Source: Army ROTC cadet last year)
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

tmurphy

That's good, news. I've just been struggling to lose the weight to join the military and I think that being a part of ROTC in the earlier years can really help me to get that leg up I need.
Health Services Officer
GLR-MI-183

coudano

Well you're not going to lose the kind of weight that would cause you to worry by going to AROTC pt 3 days a week...
Control your weight with diet control.  Stop stuffing your face in general; and reduce your carbohydrate intake.

Then add exercise to that, for fitness to improve your PT score.  You'll need both to be successful in the military.

tmurphy

You make it sound as if I waddle when I walk.
Health Services Officer
GLR-MI-183

Flying Pig

Hes just trying to convey that if your overweight and out of shape, ROTC IS NOT going to get you into shape.

tmurphy

I am fully aware that ROTC alone is not going to get me into shape. It would be a means to supplement my own program while giving me the motivation to push onward towards my goal of either enlistment or commission.
Health Services Officer
GLR-MI-183

coudano

I don't know you, or whether you waddle haha.
But I know me, and while I don't waddle, I have fight my weight to maintain standards every single day.
Some days I do better than others, but I live on the line, and if I let it go, I cross the line.

Bottom line though is you can't undo a bad diet with any amount of exercise.

Control your weight (and girth) with diet.
Control your fitness with exercise.
To meet military standards, do both.

jimmydeanno

Long story short, you can do the first two years and be overweight.  However, you can't go to field training and not meet the standards.  So, if you are at the point where you have to meet the standards during your second year to be eligible for a FT slot and you don't, you're done when that semester is over.

If you don't meet the standards when the field training slot allocations are being assembled, the detachment commander/cadre won't even bother putting together a package for you, even if you could meet the standards by field training.  There are too few slots and too many people competing for them.

So, make sure that you get yourself into the needed range by the end of your first year. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: tmurphy on December 02, 2010, 02:27:37 AM
I have a question about ROTC, mainly Army, but the question could span to all programs. I know the last two years of ROTC you are contracted to serve, in which case you have to meet physical and weight requirements. My question is that can you be outside of weight requirements to do the first two years of ROTC that are not contracted if you aren't granted a scholarship to participate?

I've tried to find out this information myself, but if there is anyone on here who is or has been a part of ROTC as a cadet or as an instructor, please let me know.

When I was in AFROTC in college, all body shapes were accepted into the GMC part of the det, HOWEVER, Falling outside the height and weight standards at the time was seen as VERY detrimental to your chances of being accepted to the Upperclassman portion. (POC)

My advice : Lose as much weight as possible before you show up. (Also, like CAP, if you were rolly polly you were not issued uniforms until you met height /weight. )
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student