USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...

Started by Eclipse, July 23, 2017, 06:49:31 PM

SarDragon

The white polo went away because of quality issues - the emblem was silk-screened, and didn't suffer repeated washings well, and it was white - got dirty quickly, and needed washing more often.

The guayabera was ugly. For all its comfort, it didn't really fit in as a uniform. It was even too informal to go with the polo crowd. Being a medium dark blue, it still had heat issues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

>Anyone< trying to make hay about "heat stress" in regards to CAP's multiform doesn't understand the
question. The multiform is not mission focused, nor mission fulfilling, so that isn't even a factor for
>any< of the field uniforms. The same goes for cold-weather gear.

Look to the BSA, or your local PD/FD/EMS team for ways in which mission-focused organizations
have solved heat and similar issues.  Shorts, advanced fabrics with vented panels, etc., etc.

The multiform exists as it does today solely because of compromises aimed at retention
and affectation of military appearance.

You can argue on the dress uniforms the need to continue a military appearance for those involved
with cadets, since dress and appearance are a literal part of the program (though the detriment
to that same program many in leadership do because they can't read a scale, seems to be lost
on many of the same folks who argue how critical those garments are.)

But for Operations and "real" work in the field? It's all about the affectation and nothing about
the mission, regardless of whether you choose a vector of materials, construction, sourcing,
or how they are configured and worn.

The golf shirt and tac pants are all that's needed for 90% of an adult CAP member's career,
including most "field" work (in which "field" = the local forest preserve where CAP members
walk around in plate carriers with a Normandy-level of gear while surrounded by picnickers in
shorts, and in full view of a McD's and a Motel 4), and for the small number who go to
NESA, HMRS, or similar, or who somehow find themselves in a legit austere situation,
they can get the long sleeve shirt and a jacket...

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Never thought I'd find a use for these pics. A white polo and white guayabera, at a cutting edge, computerized mission base!

sardak on Flickr

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Not sure which is sadder...

1 - I owned that shirt.

2 - I owned that PC.

3 - I owned that printer.

Bonus.  I also owned that pen, but it was a nice pen.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Now I remember this!

At the time it was said that TVs had some radiation in front of the screen. If this was true, the technology of that photo makes it also a microwave...
Squadron Safety Officer

SarDragon

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 14, 2018, 06:32:25 PM
Now I remember this!

At the time it was said that TVs had some radiation in front of the screen. If this was true, the technology of that photo makes it also a microwave...

Uuummm...  not really. It's all about frequencies/wavelengths.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

I know, these responses were somewhat in a light-hearted attempt.

For what it may be worth, and I do not know if this is still true, but the Guayabera was seen a great office wear in some Hispanic countries some time ago. More dressed up to work than wearing a polo to work that some here praise so much.

Squadron Safety Officer

SarDragon

CAP called it the Summer Shirt, which was initially available in dark blue. Later they added a  white version. The blue one went away around 1991, and then there was just the white one. It was worn in the late '80s and early '90s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse, what were you doing in CAP at the time of the photos ya posted?

Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 15, 2018, 12:36:29 AM
Eclipse, what were you doing in CAP at the time of the photos ya posted?

Very little - I joined in '99, and didn't really do much at the unit I was in until early 2002
when I moved to Group staff. 

A few missions and lots of weekly meetings and not much else.

Once I moved up all bets were off from there.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: SarDragon on April 15, 2018, 12:18:19 AMCAP called it the Summer Shirt, which was initially available in dark blue. Later they added a  white version. The blue one went away around 1991, and then there was just the white one. It was worn in the late '80s and early '90s.

Defining my inactive period.  I had one of the blue ones, but never even knew about the white one until now.  Considering the condition I frequently see aviator shirts in, I understand phasing them out for the laundry issues....

Eclipse

http://www.kirtland.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1506604/sfg-will-wear-new-uniforms-beginning-may-1/

"U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Kedwin Alvarado-Cortes, Security Support Squadron vehicle control officer, assists Senior Airman Justin Reeves, 377th Security Support Squadron vehicle control officer, with operational camouflage pattern uniforms and gear issue at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., April 23. All defenders on Kirtland will wear the OCP uniform starting May 1."

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

PHall

You know, I can see the cops wearing it in CONUS.  But why is SSgt Billy Bob, who is a Jet Engine Mechanic over in the Test Cell, need to wear camo?
It can be issued to him in the Deployment Line if he needs it when he gets deployed. Just like they do right now.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on May 08, 2018, 08:20:05 PM
You know, I can see the cops wearing it in CONUS.  But why is SSgt Billy Bob, who is a Jet Engine Mechanic over in the Test Cell, need to wear camo?

Do you mean camo in general or OCPS?

If it's the former I agree (FWIW), the latter because the entire service will be in them by year's end.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

It is cheaper to have the entire force wearing as close as possible one uniform versus having mechanics wearing a different uniform than Policemen...

:P
Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 08, 2018, 11:03:43 PM
It is cheaper to have the entire force wearing as close as possible one uniform versus having mechanics wearing a different uniform than Policemen...

:P

Last time I checked, the Blue BDU's were a lot cheaper then the OCP uniform.

"Something.. something.. 'second class citizen' something.."

Eclipse

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/05/08/secaf-asks-airmen-opinion-ocp-uniform-tries-it-out-herself.html

"HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. -- As the U.S. Air Force debates switching from its Airman Battle Uniform (ABU) to the Army's Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) uniform, troops here gave Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson a sneak peek into the possible replacement's fit and function.

Wilson changed into an OCP-pattern uniform Thursday before attending a mission demonstration by an Air Force Special Operations Command special tactics team at Hurlburt and Eglin Air Force Base's training ranges."

"That Others May Zoom"