Question that is not quite as intelligent as others

Started by Duke Dillio, August 20, 2007, 05:25:47 PM

Duke Dillio

CAP currently prohibits the use of helicopters in its' flight operations.  Where is the loophole that allows orientation flights on military helicopters?  Also, under CAPR 52-16, cadets are not allowed to rappel as part of a cadet activity (unless you meet all the guidelines yadda yadda) yet isn't rappelling part of the curriculum at Hawk Mountain?  I know that these are probably stupid questions but these are some of the discrepancies I have noticed in the regs versus what goes on in the organization.  I just want to know what other people's experience is and perhaps get some opinions on certain subjects.  Feel free to flame me.  That's what I'm here for.

Al Sayre

CAP personnel are not operating the helicopters, therefore they are not part of our Flight Operations.  O'rides operated by the military are governed by the respective service regulations.  Rappelling isn't my department, not many mountains here in Mississippi.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

isuhawkeye

go back to the yada yada section. 

Repelling is allowed if using a Military repel master, or an approved (wing CC) corporate curriculum.  Hawk uses the PA Fire service curriculum (Not a ranger so I don't have the specifics)

I'm sure there is more, and others can provide more details.

afgeo4

Wings tend to approve Boy Scouts curriculums for rapelling as well.

Talk to your CAP-USAF LO person to find out what you need to get the helo O-flight done. It's not uncommon.

I'm actually going to work on getting an O-ride on a USCG helo out of CGAS Atlantic City for our cadets this winter.

Anyone know what the rules are about giving cadets Orientations on Coast Guard vessels?
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

My old squadron, we arranged for flights on CH-47s at the local NG base.

It was rather difficult to open the door to get the flights approved, but the hold up wasn't on the CAP side.

The only thing required for it was a waiver that removed all liability from the Army if something happened.  It was essentially page 3 from the CAPF 31.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

afgeo4

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 20, 2007, 07:39:13 PM
My old squadron, we arranged for flights on CH-47s at the local NG base.

It was rather difficult to open the door to get the flights approved, but the hold up wasn't on the CAP side.

The only thing required for it was a waiver that removed all liability from the Army if something happened.  It was essentially page 3 from the CAPF 31.
To what degree is liability dismissed with that one? Is negligence on the part of Army also excused?
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

isuhawkeye

but remember that the military is immune from many legal actions

Duke Dillio

When I joined my current squadron about 6 months ago, I found out they they have a very cool program involving air insertion of ground teams into an area with extensive ground team training provided for about three days.  It might be just two, I'm not quite sure.  These are really the types of missions that I yearned for as a cadet.  I think it's a great program.  The only bad side this year is that the local Chinook squadron is being deployed to Iraq so we had to put in another request.....for Crash Hawks, I mean Blackhawks.  I wonder if I tell the pilots that if they make our cadets puke, I buy the *insert alcoholic beverage of choice*, what the outcome might be...  Might make for an interesting ride...

Stonewall

Quote from: sargrunt on August 21, 2007, 02:50:54 AMThese are really the types of missions that I yearned for as a cadet. 

Your buddies Ahlkog and McIntosh told me of a story about a missing twin-engine plane flown by a dentist that crashed in the Shenandoah Mts killing family and all.  They got airlifted from the mission base to Skyline Drive by NG Hueys and then picked up later in the day.  I think that may have been in your day at MVCS, not sure though.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

Don't recall that mission.  It may have been around that time but I can't remember.  I'm sure they may have told you the story about me being crapped on by a bird during an FTX.

"In my 20 some years in the field, I have never been *hit on by a bird.  Sounds to me like you need to keep moving..."     -LTC McIntosh

floridacyclist

So a cadet getting an "accidental ride" on a MEDEVAC is OK, especially if he was strapped down and unable to complain at the time and we were too surprised to say no, along with our COPES course if conducted by certified BSA COPES/high ropes instructors?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

isuhawkeye

I'm no reg hound, but it seems ok to me. 

Sounds like great program activities.

Duke Dillio

Well to throw some jam in the gears, CAPR 52-16 says that rappeling is not an authorized cadet activity (yadda yadda yadda) but if you are doing ES training, this isn't a "cadet activity" is it?  I'm not seriously thinking about doing any rappeling with the cadets in my unit but I know that this point was brought up a couple of years ago in one of my old squadrons.  I was, however, thinking of doing a team building exercise such as a one rope bridge deal.  I used to do that in ROTC and really loved it.  I am wondering if that would be considered rappeling as you have a swiss seat on and a carabiner...  Any thoughts?

isuhawkeye

Heres the Yada Yada

Taken from 52-16

Rappelling.

(1) Cadets will rappel during CAP activities only under the following conditions:
(a) On DoD installations by DoD personnel qualified to teach rappelling safely.
8 CAPR 52-16 1 OCTOBER 2006
(b) Under the supervision of current and qualified DoD rappel-masters.
(c) Using only equipment properly inspected and approved for use by qualified DoD rappel-masters.
(2) Region commanders may authorize use of commercial instructors, facilities, and/or equipment, provided by granting a waiver in writing, prior to the start of the activity. The region commander must be satisfied that the rappelling activity will be carried out with the utmost regard for safety, and that commercial installations, instructors and/or equipment meet or exceed established DoD standards.
(3) CAP units that are dual-chartered with a Scouting program will conduct rappelling within this regulation or unmistakably conduct itself under the auspices of the Scouting rappelling program only (see paragraph 6-2).

JohnKachenmeister

Beat me to it, Hawkeye!

I suck at computer searches!

I would have found it faster if I had realized that "Rappelling" had two "P's!"
Another former CAP officer

floridacyclist

So reading this letter-by-letter (which is probably the correct way to read regs), we can do the BSA COPES course as long as they don't rappel down afterward?

I guess if they fall, we're supposed to let them splt rather than belay them, which is normally a part of rappeling?  ;D
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

isuhawkeye

As I read it if your unit is dual chartered as a BSA unit you can do the complete BSA program with out restrictions. 

I have never seen a high cope course with a repelling component to it.  I have sean many with safety lines, and safety tethers, but that is not repelling

floridacyclist

Wallwood has a climbing wall that you can rappel down afterward...and the rest of the high ropes course is just unbelievable..looking forward to getting everyone out there after CBT and OTS starts next month
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Flying Pig

never mind....I re-read the origional post and saw I read it wrong.