Local Level SAR Comps

Started by trekkindave, August 14, 2007, 05:39:13 PM

trekkindave

Has anyone out there attempted their own SAR comps??   

I am interested in starting one local and would like idea for events, and planning stuffs that everyone with a sucessful SARCOMP has used.   

Feel free to contact me and forward info (wink wink)

1st LT David Collins
NY-117

Tubacap

The Ranger Competition might fit the bill out of Hawk Mountain.  They don't usually post it exact events, but it usually involves orienteering, first aid, DFing, and various other skills.  If you pick a skill, just create an event that pulls down only that skill to be evaluated.

Are you doing this at a group level?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

trekkindave

I was hoping to draft a proposal for a Group level activity in my area.   If it goes well, maybe it would make it higher in the food chain. 

SJFedor

Dave-

Send me a PM with your email address. We run group level exercises very frequently here, and I have a lot of material that you could easily use to make into a SARCOMP.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CadetProgramGuy

I am in the early stages of SAR WARS between Iowa and Nebraska.  While I do have a few details, I really want to keep the evilness secret until the comp....

What I will say thus far is this though.   Only tasks from teh GTM bok will be used.....in any and all combinations....

Stonewall

In 1999 I put together a plan for "Rescue Challenge".  A cross between the Army's Best Ranger Competition and Eco Challenge.  Numerous events with 4-person teams competing throughout a 2-day event.

Events in no particular order:

Day Land Nav
Night Land Nav
Package a patient for transport
Litter carry
Road march with 24/72 hr gear
Canoe race
Fording a body of water using a team poncho raft
Day DF
Night DF
Aircraft vectoring
Signal challenge
Fire starting challenge (no matches/liter)

And probably a few other things.  This is not all inclusive nor was the above list absolute.  It was a good plan but a POS up at wing that hated my very existence denied it.  He was a retired pencil pusher from the Air Force that didn't understand the importance of competition.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

From what I understand, Middle East Region used to have an annual SAR Competition but they turned it into SAR College when the same teams won every year.  That would have been a NATCAP team (Virginia side).
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 14, 2007, 10:39:33 PM
I am in the early stages of SAR WARS between Iowa and Nebraska.  [snip]

"SAR WARS"  :o :o >:(. . . you DO know that calling it that is considered sacrilege to some, right?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 15, 2007, 02:07:40 AM

"SAR WARS"  :o :o >:(. . . you DO know that calling it that is considered sacrilege to some, right?

Not when you add the light saber to the packing list.......

CadetProgramGuy

Actually it was named by the cadets....Gotta admit, it sounds cool ehough.

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 15, 2007, 02:13:29 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 15, 2007, 02:07:40 AM

Not when you add the light saber to the packing list.......
<drums fingers> :-\
See this, see spelling.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: Stonewall on August 14, 2007, 11:06:57 PM
In 1999 I put together a plan for "Rescue Challenge".  A cross between the Army's Best Ranger Competition and Eco Challenge.  Numerous events with 4-person teams competing throughout a 2-day event.

Events in no particular order:

Day Land Nav
Night Land Nav
Package a patient for transport
Litter carry
Road march with 24/72 hr gear
Canoe race
Fording a body of water using a team poncho raft
Day DF
Night DF
Aircraft vectoring
Signal challenge
Fire starting challenge (no matches/liter)

And probably a few other things.  This is not all inclusive nor was the above list absolute.  It was a good plan but a POS up at wing that hated my very existence denied it.  He was a retired pencile pusher from the Air Force that didn't understand the importance of competition.

I forgot an important event, the CPFT.

Also, senior member teams were authorized as well, but at the time I didn't allow for a joint-cadet/senior team to compete.  It's all irrelevant though since it never happened.  That [darn] pencil pushing wanna-be... grrrrrr....  Even had REI agree to donate the canoes and Quantico MCB to be the host site along with Prince William Forest Park... double grrrr....
Serving since 1987.