Just What ARE WE (CAP)?

Started by wingnut, August 08, 2007, 07:07:46 PM

wingnut

According to the US Department of Defense Information we (CAP) are classified as a
Paramilitary organization.

15--Military Sciences
01 -Military Forces and Organization
The organization and structure of United States or foreign military forces and organizations. Includes force mixes, force structures, force levels and tables of organization; NATO; Rapid deployment forces; Military reserves; Paramilitary forces such as the National Guard and Civil Air Patrol.

We are traditionally just that (A MILITARY ORGANIZATION)when did we change? should we return to the roots?

wingnut

These are the words of Air Force Chief of Staff General George S. Brown in a letter to all Civil Air Patrol (CAP) members dated 27 August 1973.

I am convinced that the key to the effectiveness of any organization is the dedication and professionalism of its people. As I begin my term as Chief of Staff, I do so with great confidence in all the people who make up the Air Force team—the active force, the Guard and Reserve, and our original 'all-volunteer' force, the Civil Air Patrol.
As you, the members of the Civil Air Patrol, complete your thirty-second year of service to our nation, I salute your contributions to the Air Force as well as to civil aviation. Your dedication and sacrifice in times of emergency or disaster are tributes to the spirit of your membership. The cadet program has for years been responsible for producing some of our most dedicated career airmen. As the growth of civil aviation for both business and pleasure continues to accelerate, the importance of your voluntary efforts takes on even greater significance.
I congratulate you for the fine record of achievements you have compiled in the past, and I look forward to your continuing support as we face the challenges of the future.

Tags - MIKE

MIKE

Mike Johnston

wingnut

This is from a Document at the Air War College

Yet 1973 statistics also reflect the large total effort expended on the SAR task by CAP, whose aircrews flew 27,284 hours in 13,992 sorties. A total of 154 objectives were located during the 429 missions. The Air Force credited these efforts with directly saving 48 human lives.9
The reliance on CAP to accomplish this mission is one of the best bargains in Air Force history—a small investment that produces consistently large dividends. A search in January 1971 provided the opportunity to verify the advantages of the arrangement. The loss of an F-111D resulted in a gigantic joint search effort—2300 hours flown by CAP, 1200 hours by USAF. The cost of Air Force participation was $400 per flying hour. This figure includes personnel costs plus fuel and maintenance for an array of aircraft ranging from the O-2 to F-4, C-47 to HC-130.10 By contrast, cost to the Air Force for SAR participation by CAP averages about $10 per flying hour, covering only reimbursement for certain expenses accrued during the missions: fuel and lubricants for corporate and member-owned aircraft and vehicles, communications, etc. In the four-year period 1970-1973, CAP flew 105,400 hours in direct support of the SAR mission. At $400 per hour this would have cost the Air Force more than $42 million. Instead, reimbursement to CAP amounted to slightly over $1 million, a savings to the Air Force of about $41 million.

Interesting historical reading,

wingnut

Quote from: MIKE on August 08, 2007, 07:19:48 PM
And this relates to ES how?

Well thats a deep subject

Have you seen some of the Cluster F&%$s we call search and rescue missions, self reflection on what we have become, what is the opinion of CAP ES in the local community? I am not throwing cow dung on us at all , I am proud to be a CAP member. . .

Pylon

Shouldn't the question read "Just what are we, U.S. CAP?"   >:D   I kid, I kid.

Seriously though CAP has a growing identity issue... not only with what we do, and what exactly our organization is, but also our name, our branding, and our image. 

Right now, all the changes, new missions, new uniforms, and "diversity" in the way we do things and present ourselves is simply creating less of an identity and adding to the problem... but it can be viewed as a time of transition.  Sooner or later, I hope somebody addresses the issue.  Times of transition aren't supposed to go on forever.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: wingnut on August 08, 2007, 07:27:52 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 08, 2007, 07:19:48 PM
And this relates to ES how?

Well thats a deep subject

Have you seen some of the Cluster F&%$s we call search and rescue missions, self reflection on what we have become, what is the opinion of CAP ES in the local community? I am not throwing cow dung on us at all , I am proud to be a CAP member. . .

It's interesting to note that  that a significant portion of the non-CAP SAR presence in some locales is made up of or founded by ex-CAPers.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

RiverAux

Hmmm, we only flew 27K AF hours and saved 48 lives in 1973 and in 2005-6 we flew 54K AF hours and saved 73 lives....who says these aren't the good old days?

isuhawkeye

^^^^  In Iowa we are most certainly living the golden years of CAP. 

Generations from now CAP members will marvel at what we are doing,

RogueLeader

Quote from: isuhawkeye on August 09, 2007, 03:28:08 AM
^^^^  In Iowa we are most certainly living the golden years of CAP. 

Generations from now CAP members will marvel at what we are doing,

Hopefully not!  I hope they say: "Look at what they started, and look at how far we've come since then."
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

wingnut

I am excited for our future, we are an intricate part of the space shuttle ops, we will get Archer operational after some modifications, Night Vision and Flir is coming,
Homeland Security Missions make up almost 30% to 40% of our flight time.

Lets Roll

calguy

I find it interesting that years ago we flew so many missions with member owned airplanes, like T-6s, twins and helicopters and received only reimbursement for fuel and oil.  No per diem, one payphone, no computers and a huge base staff.  Now we get all sorts of $$$, connectivity, computers and get the job done with just cooperate aircraft.   If we are tasked with a large scale mission, I don't think we could support it for more than a few days.

wingnut

as a cadet in the 70s I use to run the flight line, 10 aircraft, a military operation. Just our dads wearing the brown shirts, no flight suits. Just business.