New job for me

Started by WoodlandSARman, August 06, 2007, 03:36:57 AM

WoodlandSARman

At the wings SAR EVAl this weekend I was asked by the central group commander to be the central groups ES officer!!!!!!
I said yes and we are allready starting to put together some classes!
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
IN Wing Central Group ES Officer GLR-IN-224
Former GLR-IN-123
Former SWR-OK-002 - Black Knight Command Staff.
Former GLR-IN-069
NGSAR Basic 2000 - Honor Team
NESA GSAR Advanced/Team Leader - 2001 NESA GSAR Basic -  2007

RogueLeader

Congrats ;D good luck with your new job!!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

HA HA!  You got suckered!   :)

Pylon

Quote from: JC004 on August 06, 2007, 04:31:50 AM

Haha.

Congrats, WoodlandSARman.  Now invest in some Prilosec OTC and a roll of Tums.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on August 06, 2007, 12:36:58 PM

Haha.

Congrats, WoodlandSARman.  Now invest in some Prilosec OTC and a roll of Tums.   ;D

Ditto.

WoodlandSARman

HAHAHA I know I know but i respect the man that asked me and respect the people along side me in the other groups. They are the ones that trained me as a cadet.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

WoodlandSARman

I also found out at the meeting that you can't be on Group Staff and be a member of a regular squadron so I had to leave me home. It was very sad knowing it was my last meeting and I got to give a nice good bye speech and thank a lot of people.....

Starting a new chapter in CAP now.......
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

RogueLeader

Oh, you can attend your previous unit, you just can't be a member of it. On the CAPF-103, your "Home Unit" would be the groups designation.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

They told you wrong.  You can remain in your home squadron and have duty as group or Wing staff.  We do it all the time -- I've seen folks with both squadron and wing staff assignments.  The Group commander can just go in eservices and assign the staff job to you -- no need to transfer. 

Pylon

Why can't you be a member of record at a squadron, but have an additional duty assignment at Group level?  I've never come across anything prohibiting it.

It happens all the time where CAP members have additional duty assignments outside of their regular unit of record.  Why would a Group or Wing HQ be any different than having a position in another squadron?

If you're primarily going to be working with Group, however, and you're not filling any important duty positions at the squadron level, it may just make good sense to transfer to Group level.  But I've never seen anything that mandates it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

WoodlandSARman

After talking with the commander and the squadron commander they both told me I needed to go to group and get out of the squadron. They said my work load will be to great and it will be more appropriate for me not to be apart of a regular squadron. My commander did not want me to leave but told me that I honestly needed to because she tried doing both once and it burned her out.

I was also about to be the squadron ES officer and GTL so I would have been smoked. One nice thing about this position is I can take any squadrons GT out on a mission or SAR ex in my group when needed. If a squadron does not have a TL like my now old one I can also take them out.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

SJFedor

No reason you can't do both. I'm still with my home squadron, but serve as a Group Operations Officer. Although, yes, your squadron commander is right, the workload can become tough. I'm pondering my move to Group....

How'd you guys do on your Eval? I heard a lot of the comm chatter during a SAREX down in TN, sounds like you really had a good thing going.

But of course, with the NESA-MAS Commandant as your Wing Commander, and being the home to NESA, you guys should rock the boat.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Camas

Quote from: SJFedor on August 07, 2007, 06:53:51 AM
No reason you can't do both. I'm still with my home squadron - - - 

Very true - remaining with your original unit is doable but I recommend you go to group.  The reason is that if you're given a duty assignment as the group ES officer you'll have the ability within e-services to validate and approve GES ratings among other things.   If you remain at the unit level, you'll only be able to do this at your unit level.

You'll also want to contact a web security administrator and get some restricted applications permissions at the group level assigned to you in the"Operations Qualifications" application.

WoodlandSARman

Can someone PM me the contacts for the web security admin? I allready ahve one person asking about some approvals and I e-mailed my deputy commander about it.

There are only 3 people in my group HAHAHAHA.

Yeah we got a satisfactory for the EVAL. Kentucy had a high bird up also and apparenty they had the power on their radio cranked because out high bird was getting all of their transmissions also.

My team that I took out found the elt and called it in, an hour and a half later they told MB.....
We then sat around for 4.5 hours. We went to DQ, gas station, washed the truck, ect ect :D thats all we did. Most teams left that night. Sunday morning I was asked to take a team out but my GTL expired to long ago so I could not go but it was nice being asked to do it by the ground director himself.

A few aircraft got chained down and I about had a heart attack being an aircraft structures mechanic by trade but with my new job that will not happen again if I am there since flight line is apart of ES. All in all it went pretty good from what I saw. I was fairly quiet and only the people with my now old unit knew what my job was so it was kind of nice to lurk around with people not knowing who you are.

My former squadron commander is Maj. Brockman (NESA director) and I have contact all over and at Atterbury. Here in th next few months you will asll see IN wing rocking th eboat hard. We will have a few schools later this year and should have a ranger school next year.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

JC004

Quote from: WoodlandSARman on August 07, 2007, 05:55:44 PM
Can someone PM me the contacts for the web security admin? I allready ahve one person asking about some approvals and I e-mailed my deputy commander about it.

Your WSAs should be listed in e-Services.

RiverAux

I wouldn't recommend holding both squadron and group/wing staff officer positions at the same time unless one of the positions is one of the useless ones that rarely, if ever, requires any work.  However, it shouldn't be a stretch to stay a member of the squadron.  If anything it keeps you grounded a bit. 

We all know folks who have been in a staff position for years and years and haven't been to a squadron meeting in all that time...they tend to forget that they are there to serve the squadrons...

SarDragon

Quote from: Camas on August 07, 2007, 01:12:16 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on August 07, 2007, 06:53:51 AM
No reason you can't do both. I'm still with my home squadron - - - 

Very true - remaining with your original unit is doable but I recommend you go to group.  The reason is that if you're given a duty assignment as the group ES officer you'll have the ability within e-services to validate and approve GES ratings among other things.   If you remain at the unit level, you'll only be able to do this at your unit level.

You'll also want to contact a web security administrator and get some restricted applications permissions at the group level assigned to you in the"Operations Qualifications" application.

There are WSA assigned permissions, and position dependent permissions. The former do not change upon reassignment; the latter do. If he is assigned a group level position, he gets the permissions that go with it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Camas

Quote from: SarDragon on August 08, 2007, 05:08:17 AM
There are WSA assigned permissions, and position dependent permissions. The former do not change upon reassignment; the latter do. If he is assigned a group level position, he gets the permissions that go with it.

True enough though I believe he'd only get two permissions at the group level or scope due to being assigned a duty assignment as an ES officer; OpsQual-ES-Single Achievement Entry and OpsQuals-ES-Multi-Achievement Entry.  He'd have to request the others.

But you're right; any responsible WSA would grant him permissions at the scope or level to which the member is assigned as long as the WSA has the ability to make assignments other than at the unit level. If the member has squadron-level permissions those could be simply deleted.

A bit off-topic perhaps but these permissions are important for a group-level ES officer to do his job.

WoodlandSARman

I was told by my squadron commader who also served with me as a cadet and my group commander that I needed to go to group so I did. So far I see i made the right choice because I am allready being swamped.
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
Former GLR-IN-123
Former GLR-IN-069

SJFedor

Quote from: WoodlandSARman on August 07, 2007, 05:55:44 PM
...being an aircraft structures mechanic by trade but with my new job that will not happen again if I am there since flight line is apart of ES....

True, but don't forget, aircraft are managed by operations, not ES.  :P

But in all seriousness, who would be silly enough to chain a bird down? Do they not like their fleet of aircraft?

Where did you guys do your eval at? I heard KY on the same freq as well. Your IC called ours in TN, not sure why they didn't tell the KY people to vacate. Don't worry though, we had the same problem during our Eval, except that we were picking up traffic from a redcap in MSWG where they found that guy in the tree. Improvise, adapt and overcome!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)