Whats that you say? Airport "security?"

Started by SARMedTech, July 25, 2007, 04:28:30 PM

SARMedTech

Has it ever been thought of or experimented with the idea that CAP ES could assist in airports (larger ones probably the better choices) as extra sets of eyes, hands, etc. Perhaps be a uniformed but unarmed presence that might help calm angry passengers. I know Ive been branded a gear queer, but perhaps a tactical LEO vests with things like radios, cell phones, etc in terms of items that would assist us in assisting the airport in assisting the passengers  ;). Perhaps there could be some sort of experimental program with the inexpensive vests coming from Gauls with C.A.P on the back of them. We could carry mouth shields and gloves for first aide or CPR. In this kind of an environment, perhaps BBDUs might be useful. Lest I get accused of trying to squeeze some tactical juice out of the non-tacical CAP apple, I just thought that if something like this were tried and we present a uniform appearance that we could genuinely be helpful, give us a new venue to serve, a place where cadets (who are sometimes excluded from ES mission assignments) could participate by doing walk throughs of the various terminals, waiting areas, etc, looking for package left behind, abandoned luggage, etc assist emergencies that might evolve during the mad flying days of Christmas, thanksgiving, etc., assisting with the location of lost children, perhaps be a presence next to the TSA folks and just be a benevolent but firm and assisting presence to the general public. I say BBDUs for this because 1. Blue in my mind is the color most usually associated with this sort of thing and 2. People dont feel like they are being followed by the military if they see us in camos.

Feel free to shoot it down, just brainstorming.

PS- Certainly this could be tried out with data being gathered as scientifically as possible about what kinds of things we assisted with, where we might have not filled a gap that needs filling or filled one that didnt need it. I think it could a really great way for us to get ES taskings as well as to introduce the cadets to  another side of ES.  (Prepares nomex for flaming).
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

CASH172

Well if you're talking about stuff that CAP can do for airport security, my unit is in the process of putting together a perimeter search for the fenceline of an airport.  It's just to make sure there aren't any holes or problems in the fence that need attention.  We'll be doing this at one of the most already secure airports but it's a way for CAP to get involved in other areas and you can use the term "Homeland Security" to get cadets excited. 

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 25, 2007, 04:28:30 PM
I know Ive been branded a gear queer, but perhaps a tactical LEO vests with things like radios, cell phones, etc in terms of items that would assist us in assisting the airport in assisting the passengers  ;).

You know I was kidding about that, right?  I made reference to myself being a GQ too.  It's not a bad thing, it just means that we live by rule of who has the most gear wins.  I bet I'm ahead of you at this point  8)
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Quote from: Stonewall on July 25, 2007, 05:01:25 PM
Quote from: SARMedTech on July 25, 2007, 04:28:30 PM
I know Ive been branded a gear queer, but perhaps a tactical LEO vests with things like radios, cell phones, etc in terms of items that would assist us in assisting the airport in assisting the passengers  ;).

You know I was kidding about that, right?  I made reference to myself being a GQ too.  It's not a bad thing, it just means that we live by rule of who has the most gear wins.  I bet I'm ahead of you at this point  8)

I should think you are. I tend to collect high speed medical battle rattle. Packs and the like.

That being said, what do you think of the airport assistance idea. Again, lost bags with angry or panicky fliers, medical emergencies requiring stabilizing first aide, searches for lost children or elderly parents that have wondered off. And you know, Stonewall, it would be an excuse for more TacBlack
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Capt M. Sherrod

As a former airline employee, both pre and post 9/11 - I would say that you really don't want to get inolved with irate passengers.  The airlines, who are generally the reason they're irate, should be handling their own passengers.  As far as miscellaneous bags and lost people.  I don't know that it happens often enough to warrant our support.  I'm not sure it's really an avenue we should be going down.  IMHO.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Stonewall

I agree with Sherrod.  Between 2001 and 2006, accumulated more than 1/4 million miles through United alone.  I carried when I flew CONUS and sometimes OCONUS and the last thing I wanted to happen is for me to get involved on a plane or on the ground.  Unlike Air/Ground SAR, there are paid people to deal with disgruntled passengers.  And personally, unless I am paid, I don't want to deal with them.  It would take more than a willing CAP member in BBDUs to handle lots of situations that occur daily in airports.  Places like Dulles in Northern Virginia have more uniformed cops in BBDUs walking around with everything from Dogs to MP5s than you can shake a stick at.  I think if we were in BBDUs it would only cause confusion.

As for hadling medical situations, how many EMTs, Nurses and Doctors are already on planes and in the airport at any one given time, especially the larger hubs?  I read a report about AEDs at BWI near Baltimore.  In, I think it was 2000 or 2001, 2 separate incidents where people had heart attacks were saved by AEDs used by untrained personnel who happen to have some sort of knowledge about the AED.  In 2003 I was on a flight to San Antonio when an announcement came out asking for an EMT, Nurse, or Doctor to please ring their call button.  After about 30 seconds, I rang mine.  Again, not wanting to get involved, I went to business class where a passenger had a tingling feeling in their left arm and complained of shortness of breath.  I asked what occured leading up to his present state and he said the flight attendant lowered his head-back quicly and hit him in the neck.  Cervical injury!  At this time, 4 minutes into the situation, a 2-star Air Force general walks up and I notice the "Master Medical Badge" and "Command Flight Surgean Badge".  If I remember correctly, he was the Air Force's Surgean General, or at least the deputy.  He agreed it was a possible fracture of in the C-Spine area due to a direct hit by the head rest when the attendant pushed it down.  We immobilized things and advised ground that we were coming in with an injured person.  I went back to my seat and the general stayed with the dude.  No need for me to be in CAP uniform or have some sort of shirt saying "Welcome to the airport, how may I help you".

I actually think it's a non-issue.  As a visual deterent, I think not.  Plus, who could do it?  The very small number of CAP members who have rotating schedules like me who has 4 days off in a row?  Yeah, sorry bro, I'm mowing my lawn today.  Or the retired folks who are all in Florida anyway or on the flight en route to Hawaii who, during his "off duty" time could handle an emergency situation if necessary.

Good thinking and "hooah" for being proactive.  But in this case, I'd say try again.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

There are two types of people who deal with irate people in an airport.  Customer Service, and if that doesn't work, the Police.  There isn't a middle man.  And if you did intervene in your tac vest, what would you do?  Your not in any position to solve their problem.  

As Sherrod said, they are probably mad at the airline, and if their not mad at the airline, they have other issues that we dont need to be involved in.  I dont see how this has anything to do with CAP or ES.  I can't see a multi billion dollar business...ie. Airlines, wanting us stepping in assisting with customers not to mention the airport management wanting us floating around being mediators on their behalf.  I can see it now, A cadet trying to negotiate an upgrade to first class on behalf of a customer on an overbooked flight!

Large airports have full fire and police services and TSA.  I dont think we need members, not to mention cadets, walking around with Tac vest full of rubber gloves.  Airports have SOP's for dealing with "mad flying days" and they are very good at it.  We aren't going to be intergrated into that system.  

You would spend the better part of your day showing people where their gate is, where to find the bathroom and picking up "suspicious" trash in the waiting areas.

But most important....I wouldnt be caught dead working that detail with the type of person who would give up their holiday's to hang out at LAX!   No thanks.

RiverAux

I don't agree with any in-airport role for CAP, however doing stuff like CASH suggested for smaller airports might be helpful. 

SARMedTech

Im willing to admit it might have been a crappy idea. No worries. Just thinking out loud because there are alot of people hereabouts that complain that we are in danger of going the way of the dodo because there isnt anything of consequence for us to do.

By the way Flying Pig-  The tac vest was a way that we could maybe carry some CPR/First Aide gear, not just a need for me to wear one of the hot, bulky things. I do everyday anyway.
"Corpsman Up!"

Pylon

How about asking the airport if you can set up an external AE table at the airport allowing passangers with time to kill to learn some things about aviation, GA, CAP, and all sorts of other interesting stuff.

I've been at plenty of airports on a lay-over with an extra hour or two to kill, after I've eaten, found my next gate, and taken care of everything else.  Something interesting like a CAP AE table would have been a pretty cool way to fill some time.

Sounds like a better fit for CAP presence in pax terminals to me.  I think in many ways we ignore our mission to educate the public about aerospace; what a great venue to begin beefing up that awareness.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Capt M. Sherrod

Pylon,

That is an outstanding idea, and one that I think could be easily implemented.  Not only do you get to do AE, but it also serves as a first contact for recruiting.  I'm going to have to look into that for my folks locally here.  Thank you.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Pylon

Quote from: 2d Lt M. Sherrod on July 26, 2007, 07:53:08 PM
Pylon,

That is an outstanding idea, and one that I think could be easily implemented.  Not only do you get to do AE, but it also serves as a first contact for recruiting.  I'm going to have to look into that for my folks locally here.  Thank you.

Thanks.  Can't claim it's my idea.  In the Central New York Group we have a great AE officer.  He set up a table like this once for a specific occassion (I think one of the anniversaries of the Wilbur brothers' first flight) at the Syracuse International Airport pax terminal.  It was only for one day, but we got a lot of people stopping.  The idea can certainly be extended to make a semi-permanent display at the airport and the airport should certainly appreciate you helping to engage their constiuents in learning to appreciate the aviation industry.

Here's some ideas from my end though:

For busier airports, find out from your local airport commission or whomever the controlling body is how you can get CAP members cleared (like vendors) for the secured side of the terminal.  That's where you'll get people with time to kill, especially on lay-overs.  People rush into the airport (get their boarding pass, check their baggage and get in line for security) and then kill their time on the secure side of the terminal.  Put your booth there.

Make an AE activity for local cadets each month to develop a new display and new theme or materials for the table.  For example, one month your theme may be "General Aviation" and your cadets prepare fact sheets, a model GA aircraft (maybe a CAP painted Cessna?), and a display board to go with the table.

Make the display interesting and informative enough on its own that people could stop and learn something even when the booth is not staffed. 

Seek a corporate grant from one of the airlines or maybe the airport itself to pay for more professional-grade display items.  Use the funding to pay for things such as:  Add a custom screen-printed table skirt with Civil Air Patrol logos and maybe "Learn about Aviation!" or something on it.  Get your display boards printed in full-color on foam-board by a local copy center or printer, instead of piecing it together.  Have custom-enscribed give-aways that relate to the theme or lesson from the display... talking about dynamics of flight?  Perhaps you have Civil Air Patrol and your local airport or corporate sponsor joint-enscribed frisbees.  Have your "fact sheets" for that month's "lesson" printed in color on glossy paper or done-up as barrel-folded full-color brochures (people are more likely to look at and keep flashier materials).

Be sure to incorporate information on Civil Air Patrol and some recruiting pamphlets.

There's lots of ideas you can do with this, and just about every unit with a nearby passenger terminal can do it.

CASH172

Personally, I'd put a computer with internet nearby to look up local units for those that come by and are interested.  When you're at a real busy airport, odds are most people there don't live close to that airport at all.  Even if that airport is their hometown airport, their homes maybe hours away. 

Pylon

Quote from: CASH172 on July 27, 2007, 04:12:56 AM
Personally, I'd put a computer with internet nearby to look up local units for those that come by and are interested.  When you're at a real busy airport, odds are most people there don't live close to that airport at all.  Even if that airport is their hometown airport, their homes maybe hours away. 

Neat idea, I like it. 

I wonder what programs you can get to set up the browser to only access certain websites, like cap.gov, a list of unit websites, etc.  (so you don't get passenger Joe Friendly checking his email at your booth for 2 hours).  The home page could be set to the unit locator or something, perhaps.

brasda91

Actually there was a program back a few years ago with this in mind.  I'm having a brain fart and can't remember what it was called.  I know our squadron received pamphlets and info on it.  I believe it was geared toward General Aviation.  If I can't recall the name, I'll stop by my FBO on my way in to work tomorrow afternoon and check on it.  Maybe the program is still in operation and you won't have to recreate the wheel, so to speak.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: brasda91 on July 29, 2007, 02:58:09 AM
Actually there was a program back a few years ago with this in mind.  I'm having a brain fart and can't remember what it was called.  I know our squadron received pamphlets and info on it.  I believe it was geared toward General Aviation.  If I can't recall the name, I'll stop by my FBO on my way in to work tomorrow afternoon and check on it.  Maybe the program is still in operation and you won't have to recreate the wheel, so to speak.

"Operation Drop-In."
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

No, I don't think thats it.  He's probably thinking of the AOPA Airport Watch program. 

brasda91

Quote from: RiverAux on July 29, 2007, 02:57:40 PM
No, I don't think thats it.  He's probably thinking of the AOPA Airport Watch program. 

That may be it.  I didn't make it to the FBO to check.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011