History Moving us Forward

Started by SARMedTech, July 16, 2007, 11:13:30 AM

SARMedTech

Fellow Officers and Cadets with a passion for the history of CAP-

As part of the work I am compiling for my MS degree, I am working on a history of what kinds of operations CAP has run since its inception in WWII to recent decades...operations and programs that no longer exist. I would also like to hear about how you think those old, no longer used operations could be revived within CAPS current status or by adding new regulations, etc to bring CAP into the 21st century. In addition to what we used to do operationally and dont any longer, what are some parts of CAP that you would like to see revived in terms of CAP culture, esprit d'corps, etc. You'll be receiving alot of these kinds of requests from me over the next couple years as my degree progresses and if your suggestions or quotations or ideas make it into my work, especially in the realm of disaster preparedness, biosecurity, disaster relief, etc, you will be duly quoted and cited in my bibliography. I know we will get a few off the wall posts, and that is ok...its good to have fun with this kind of thing, but I really am looking for solid suggestions as to how CAP could once again become a vital part of the nations Civil defense as well as the other areas I have mentioned above. Thank you in advance, and Semper Vi!

PS- Posted photos would also be greatly appreciated, just please remember to credit the original source of the logo, photo or other image if it is known.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

James Shaw

A couple of the best early resources of CAP history is going to be the Flying Minute Men by Robert E. Neprud and Frome Maine to Mexico. Both of these provide excellent documented resources for this type of research.

A few unklnown facts....

CAP used to get paid to kill Coyotes
CAP used to fly missions that involved flying above crops just to keep the air from getting to cold for crops.
CAP even flew a couple of special missions down into Mexico
One of the Tow Targets used by CAP for earlier missions was made from a light bulb, two d batteries, and a toilet plunger.
CAP Even used glade buggies in a squadron in Florida for S&R
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

SARMedTech

"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Al Sayre

Quote from: caphistorian on July 16, 2007, 11:29:35 AM

CAP Even used glade buggies in a squadron in Florida for S&R

They also used to use Airboats in the 'Glades
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

bosshawk

There probably are more than a few "toilet plungers" around.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARMedTech

Quote from: bosshawk on July 18, 2007, 03:59:24 AM
There probably are more than a few "toilet plungers" around.

I just saw an airboat for sale in a yard not far from my house. Maybe my Squadron could start a "marine" team.  We get the call from AFRCC, put the pilots in airboats and fly them down the river to their planes where they take to the wild blue yonder.
"Corpsman Up!"