Strange ELT behavior

Started by Major Carrales, July 10, 2007, 09:03:10 PM

Major Carrales

Earlier today I was setting a practice ELT...you know, a 121.775 MHz pointer avionics MODEL 6000 CADET.

IT has functioned normally for months...until today.  It seemed to be broadcasting on every frequency in the Aircraft Band.  I of course, shut it off immediately.

Any suggestions?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

IceNine

Take it to your local Avionics shop and have them put it on the bench.  I had this problem once as well, it was an easy fix as I remember.  However I cannot remember what the issue was
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SARPilotNY

Call Pointer  in Az., they are usually very helpful.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

Eclipse

Might just be the battery - does it still take the standard ELT type, or did someone convert it for you?

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

even if its the battery it shouldn't blanket transmit?!?...  to test that you can use 5 alkaline C-Cells is series
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SARPilotNY

CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

Al Sayre

If you were testing it with a hand held scanner or radio from a couple of feet away, there is probably nothing wrong with it, you are just so close it is swamping your receiver.  Try it again but be sure you are about 50 feet away before testing to see if you can hear it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 11, 2007, 12:18:04 PM
If you were testing it with a hand held scanner or radio from a couple of feet away, there is probably nothing wrong with it, you are just so close it is swamping your receiver.  Try it again but be sure you are about 50 feet away before testing to see if you can hear it.

Thanks, Al.  This may be the cause.  I have discussed it with several persons and this was agreed to be the cause.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: J.Hendricks on July 10, 2007, 09:49:23 PM
even if its the battery it shouldn't blanket transmit?!?...  to test that you can use 5 alkaline C-Cells is series

Electronics do weird things when their input power isn't correct, especially analog circuits, and if the unit was run on low power long enough, it could have been damaged.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

The prudent thing to do would be to look at the signal on a spectrum analyzer to make sure you are not transmitting all over place. When in doubt, don't transmit. ( Al Quaida might want your unit to make a nice little avionics jammer though.....)

Capt. Lord

p.s. I have a General Radotelephone License with RADAR endorsement and a spectrum analyzer if you you can't  get it checked locally.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

wingnut

AHA

see I had the same problem, a pointer had been modified for a 6volt lead Acid battery, a different Antenna and WOUSH you are now in violation of the FCC rule for these ELT portable Aviation radios.

NO ONE CAN CHANGE THE BATTERY VOLTAGE OR ANTENNA< IF YOU DO YOU CHANGE THE TRANSMITER AND VIOLATE FEDERAL COMMUNICATION LAWS. WARNING WILL ROBINSON  ''''DANGER''' 

PS: CHECK WITH pOINTER IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE ME.