Need some ribbons...

Started by Hawk200, November 06, 2006, 06:46:57 PM

Hawk200

An excerpt from Air Force Instruction 36-2903, page 123:

"4.6. Description of Ribbons. Regular-size ribbons are 1 3/8 x 3/8 inches and miniatures are 11/16 x 3/8 inches. Affix ribbons to the uniform using a detachable, metal and plastic clip-on device. Keep ribbons clean and unfrayed. Ribbons will not have a visible protective coating."

Emphasis added.

The question is: Does anyone know where I can get these miniature ribbons? Would like to reduce the real estate of my ribbon rack, and this looks like the best option. The size of mine now is rather awkward.

Eclipse

CAP or USAF?

If CAP, we are not bound by that reg, and I am not aware you can wear anything but standard size ribbons.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

The miniture ribbons are not intended to go in a ribbon rack. They are individual ribbons that can be worn on a civilian suit buttonhole. Only one miniture ribbons can be worn at a time.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Hawk200

Quote from: BillB on November 06, 2006, 07:25:53 PM
The miniture ribbons are not intended to go in a ribbon rack. They are individual ribbons that can be worn on a civilian suit buttonhole. Only one miniture ribbons can be worn at a time.

You're talking about lapel pins. I'm talking about miniature ribbons. The miniature ribbons are the same width as the ribbon drape on miniature medals. The two are not the same.

CAP or USAF?

If CAP, we are not bound by that reg, and I am not aware you can wear anything but standard size ribbons.

And yes, I'm looking for the Air Force side. Thought someone here might have an idea.

davedove

I'll have to say this is the first time I've heard of miniature ribbons other than the lapel pins.  I have never seen those anywhere.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Hawk200

Quote from: davedove on November 06, 2006, 08:57:59 PM
I'll have to say this is the first time I've heard of miniature ribbons other than the lapel pins.  I have never seen those anywhere.

They are rare, but a good friend of mine has seen them. Knowing my knowledge of uniform regulations, he asked me about them. As the quote from 36-2903 shows, they would not be the lapel pins. The lapel pins are actually smaller than what the regulation specifies as a miniature ribbon, and those are metal and enamel, not cloth.

It would be easy to create mini ribbons for every medal that exists as a mini medal, but there are other ribbons that don't exist in that size, such as Basic training, PME, and overseas ribbons.

MIKE

I have some smaller ribbons in my collection (USMC, Vietnam), not sure of the exact dementions... But they are thinner vertically, than my CAP ones.  Also have my grandfathers from the '40s (USN) which are wider.
Mike Johnston