Easy way to sew on 2nd lt. insignias?

Started by swater96, September 13, 2009, 12:26:17 AM

Chief2009

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2009, 04:26:22 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 14, 2009, 04:11:32 PM
Got a reference for that? Got a few cadets wearing them, but haven't seen anything forbidding it, so can't tell them to change them.
Let's see - different color, different edge, different font, and not quite the right size. Also looks ridiculous.

Try telling that to my squadron CC. That merrowed tape is what she gives our cadets after they join. Apparently one of the regular CAP tapes she ordered from the Hock Shop the Civil Air Patrol was longer than the pocket. So this is what she gets.

Quote from: Eclipse on September 15, 2009, 12:59:51 PM
Can you please cite a regulation or ICL that authorizes the Unit CC badge on BDU's?

Beat me to it.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Gunner C

Quote from: ascorbate on September 14, 2009, 02:09:41 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 14, 2009, 04:07:24 AM
Why don't they just sell the cloth insignia with a "merrowed edge," of sorts that would be easy to sew on?  I would recommend this if we are to keep the BDUs.  Have the edge "merrowed," like the old cadet rank chevrons were so that people don't have to play this sort of guessing game when sewing them on the uniform.

I learned a new term for the day: "merrowed edge"

And I had every one of those old cadet NCO ranks (with a merrowed edge) sewn on to the sleeves of my green fatigues years ago.

While I see the merit of potentially merrowing the edge of senior rank to prevent them from unraveling, I wonder how appealing they would look on the BDU collar lapel? On the sleeves... they looked just fine but there isn't that much real estate on the collar lapel!

I've noticed that people in CAP call various grade insignia "ranks" and other things.  Here's a quick reference:

Cadet Grades

• Enlisted:  Stripes
  • Company Grades:  Pips
  • Field Grades:  Diamonds

SM Grades

• NCOs:  Stripes
  • Flight Officers:  Unknown
  • Company Grades:  Bars
  • Field Grades:  Leaves (Maj & Lt Col), Eagles (Col)
  • Generals: Stars

You'll never hear anyone say "Can I borrow some of your Lt ranks."

arajca

Quote from: Chief2009 on September 15, 2009, 01:22:13 PM
Got a reference for that? Got a few cadets wearing them, but haven't seen anything forbidding it, so can't tell them to change them.
Let's see - different color, different edge, different font, and not quite the right size. Also looks ridiculous.

Try telling that to my squadron CC. That merrowed tape is what she gives our cadets after they join. Apparently one of the regular CAP tapes she ordered from the Hock Shop the Civil Air Patrol was longer than the pocket. So this is what she gets.
They're supposed to be longer than the pocket so the ends can be folded under and sewn down. Despite the standardization of the bdu, there is some difference in pocket flap width - not huge, but its there. Being able to adjust the tape length to the flap width makes a significant improvement in how it looks. Not to mention having both tapes look the same...

DC

Quote from: arajca on September 15, 2009, 01:54:34 PM
Quote from: Chief2009 on September 15, 2009, 01:22:13 PM

They're supposed to be longer than the pocket so the ends can be folded under and sewn down. Despite the standardization of the bdu, there is some difference in pocket flap width - not huge, but its there. Being able to adjust the tape length to the flap width makes a significant improvement in how it looks. Not to mention having both tapes look the same...
I think he meant that the actual text part was longer than the pocket, making it impossible to get it to fit. Must have been like an XXS blouse or something...

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on September 15, 2009, 02:10:13 PM
I think he meant that the actual text part was longer than the pocket, making it impossible to get it to fit. Must have been like an XXS blouse or something...

I've seen that, and with a merrowed edge it would be impossible to cheat the edges at all.

Sounds like someone didn't play "Which one of these is not like the others?" from Sesame Street.

"That Others May Zoom"

O-Rex

Quote from: O-Rex on September 15, 2009, 12:11:24 PM
I had this issue when trying to machine-sew the unit CC badge (also very small) on my BDU's.

Can you please cite a regulation or ICL that authorizes the Unit CC badge on BDU's?

NB approved Feb 09, ICL pending, offererd by VG

The bummer is that the permanent award did not pass....

davidsinn

Quote from: O-Rex on September 17, 2009, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on September 15, 2009, 12:11:24 PM
I had this issue when trying to machine-sew the unit CC badge (also very small) on my BDU's.

NB approved Feb 09, ICL pending, offererd by VG

The bummer is that the permanent award did not pass....

Until the AF approves it and the ICL comes down it's not authorized on the BDU.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Nick

It's very unfortunate that it takes 7 months to go from the board to an ICL.  Any CAP-USAF coordination should be done on the front end of going to National Board, so once it's voted by the board the letter can be put on the street within a week.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

davidsinn

Quote from: McLarty on September 17, 2009, 05:51:19 PM
It's very unfortunate that it takes 7 months to go from the board to an ICL.  Any CAP-USAF coordination should be done on the front end of going to National Board, so once it's voted by the board the letter can be put on the street within a week.

That's the smart thing to do. Which means it'll never happen. ::)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Quote from: McLarty on September 17, 2009, 05:51:19 PM

McLarty, we're gonna have to have a talk, man. You're making too much sense.

;D

Nick

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 17, 2009, 06:04:22 PM
McLarty, we're gonna have to have a talk, man. You're making too much sense.

;D

Yeah. I like to state the obvious every once in a while just to keep in touch with reality. I've never seen that happen in 12 years, so I don't know why I would expect it to begin now ... but, that was also before the proliferation of ICLs and the only official change to regulations were change documents.  Remember those days? Get the mailer from NHQ with pen-and-ink changes or page replacements and go through the one official set of regs at the squadron with the changes?

See, things were simpler then.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Hawk200

Quote from: McLarty on September 17, 2009, 07:33:55 PMRemember those days? Get the mailer from NHQ with pen-and-ink changes or page replacements and go through the one official set of regs at the squadron with the changes?

See, things were simpler then.

Yeah, I remember those days. Seems like it started with pen and ink, then went to replacement pages. After that, there were supplements to the specific pub.

Now, there are ICLs which, most of the time, don't get added to the proper pub, or they're in some place where no one would ever look. At least with new pages and supplements, they went directly into the pub in question. Not like nowadays where you've got to check the NHQ site to see if there is something relating to whichever pub you have questions about.