Easy way to sew on 2nd lt. insignias?

Started by swater96, September 13, 2009, 12:26:17 AM

Nick

I watch the alternations women at the base when do my uniforms -- their trick is to measure the 1/4" border on each insignia, fold the material under, and sew it by itself so you have a "pre-fab" rank insignia without having to worry about the excess material shifting, and then sew the insignia onto the uniform piece.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Major Carrales

Why don't they just sell the cloth insignia with a "merrowed edge," of sorts that would be easy to sew on?  I would recommend this if we are to keep the BDUs.  Have the edge "merrowed," like the old cadet rank chevrons were so that people don't have to play this sort of guessing game when sewing them on the uniform.

Just a quick image that entered my mind.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Nick

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 14, 2009, 04:07:24 AM
Why don't they just sell the cloth insignia with a "merrowed edge," of sorts that would be easy to sew on?  I would recommend this if we are to keep the BDUs.  Have the edge "merrowed," like the old cadet rank chevrons were so that people don't have to play this sort of guessing game when sewing them on the uniform.

It would make sense to me ... but, it's going to raise the retail cost of the devices because they're now "finished" rather than unfinished pieces of cloth that they just chop up after they come out of the embroidery machine.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

DC

The Hock SHop tried that with some cloth breast insignia. Not only was it more expensive, but IMHO it looks like crap.

Pre-sewing it sounds like a good idea. I've never tried it, but I might the next time I need to sew something on.

Major Carrales

Quote from: McLarty on September 14, 2009, 04:12:16 AM

It would make sense to me ... but, it's going to raise the retail cost of the devices because they're now "finished" rather than unfinished pieces of cloth that they just chop up after they come out of the embroidery machine.

Maybe the trade off is worth it.  It is costing me, and each CAP officer, a pretty penny to have the patches professionally sewn.

As for the issue you mention, DC, I am sure that a merrowing of reasonably small gauge might eliminate that effect.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 14, 2009, 04:21:30 AMMaybe the trade off is worth it.  It is costing me, and each CAP officer, a pretty penny to have the patches professionally sewn.

As for the issue you mention, DC, I am sure that a merrowing of reasonably small gauge might eliminate that effect.

Learn to use a sewing machine. I've been doing almost all of my own CAP sewing since I was 16. It's not hard, really.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on September 14, 2009, 04:31:54 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 14, 2009, 04:21:30 AMMaybe the trade off is worth it.  It is costing me, and each CAP officer, a pretty penny to have the patches professionally sewn.

Learn to use a sewing machine. I've been doing almost all of my own CAP sewing since I was 16. It's not hard, really.

A moot point since any transition away from BDUs will likely not require sewing on rank.

One characteristic of being an adult is knowing one's limits, my sewing skills (both with and without machine) are less than stellar; thus, to appease the Reichsministrie of Uniform Wear agents that we seem to have in CAP, I am willing to pay.   But never needlessly ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DC

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 14, 2009, 04:39:36 AM

A moot point since any transition away from BDUs will likely not require sewing on rank.

One characteristic of being an adult is knowing one's limits, my sewing skills (both with and without machine) are less than stellar; thus, to appease the Reichsministrie of Uniform Wear agents that we seem to have in CAP, I am willing to pay.   But never needlessly ;)
ABUs still require insignia to be sewn on, ACUs are the only current uniform that uses velcro insignia and patches.

Mustang

Quote from: McLarty on September 14, 2009, 03:57:43 AM
I watch the alternations women at the base when do my uniforms -- their trick is to measure the 1/4" border on each insignia, fold the material under, and sew it by itself so you have a "pre-fab" rank insignia without having to worry about the excess material shifting, and then sew the insignia onto the uniform piece.

Except that you end up with double-stitching.  I use thin (1/8" or so) strips of "stitch-witch" heat-sensitive adhesive tape to prep my cloth insignia; this way, the pre-ironing suggested by others stays down flat. Nin uses some sort of Scotch spray-on cloth adhesive the same way.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

PhotogPilot

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 13, 2009, 03:59:02 AM
Quote from: Airrace on September 13, 2009, 03:42:18 AM
If you live next to a military base then try the alterations shop on the base as they usually have a great price.

If you don't have "base access" there are usually military alteration shops outside the gate who are able to provide the same service.

Agreed, but be careful, I am very lucky, the shop I use on occasion, (If you live in San Antonio, Kim's Alterations, on Harry Wurzbach about a mile out side the Fort Sam gate) dose outstanding work, both in sewing on grade insignia, and uniform alterations at reasonable prices. I have used other shops, and had to make multiple returns to get insignia placed in correct orientation, position, etc. Do it yourself is great if you have the skill and desire, but hand sewing good looking patches and insignia is tedious work, and I stink at it. If you hire it out, check their work before you leave, it will save you hassel later.

ascorbate

I learned a new term for the day: "merrowed edge"

And I had every one of those old cadet NCO ranks (with a merrowed edge) sewn on to the sleeves of my green fatigues years ago.

While I see the merit of potentially merrowing the edge of senior rank to prevent them from unraveling, I wonder how appealing they would look on the BDU collar lapel? On the sleeves... they looked just fine but there isn't that much real estate on the collar lapel!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Eclipse

Before anyone posts it, this:

is not a nametape.  It's intention is/was for use as a luggage tag.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Hmm, not sure that the cost of buying the sewing machine would be a better deal than paying someone to sew the patches every now and again.  Especially since I don't intend to sew anything else. 

Maybe a squadron sewing machine?  Tailor/Seamstress Officer?

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2009, 02:17:58 PM

Got a reference for that? Got a few cadets wearing them, but haven't seen anything forbidding it, so can't tell them to change them.

Strick

If you contact 1800 name tapes, they can do that for you.
[darn]atio memoriae

Strick

I was wondering about that tape, I have seen it since 92 on BDU'S.  Looks bad!!!.  Why the heck do they still make it?
[darn]atio memoriae

Strick

............and why didnt they make a U.SCIVIL AIR PATROL LUGGAGE TAG >:D
[darn]atio memoriae

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 14, 2009, 04:11:32 PM

Got a reference for that? Got a few cadets wearing them, but haven't seen anything forbidding it, so can't tell them to change them.

I tried to provide that with the above, but couldn't find it on VG's site, though the last time I saw it they had text to that effect.  Part of the problem with the bookstore catalog was that it didn't say that, so many people bought them because they looked "nicer".

Let's see - different color, different edge, different font, and not quite the right size. Also looks ridiculous.
If that's not enough, I'm not sure one sentence in the catalog will help.

It'd be one thing if you could get a merrowed option for everything - in fact I've done that with a machine
a long time ago and it looks nice (though good luck getting them off), but having just one simply looks bizarre.

"That Others May Zoom"

O-Rex

I'd stay away from hand-sewing: rank on the hat is highly visible, and unless you are very skilled with a needle & thread, it's going to look just that: hand sewn.

What makes LT rank hard to sew properly is that you cannot pin it to the hat (or collar, for that matter) with two pins to keep it from moving around while sewing,  as you would with other insignia.  The result is the insignia tilts or is off-center.

I had this issue when trying to machine-sew the unit CC badge (also very small) on my BDU's.  I solved the problem by placing the insignia exactly where I wanted it, and then very closely bracketing it with masking tape, which becomes a guide: if the insignia shifts, you'll know it.

Forget using seamstress's chalk: it smudges, and you're looking for pinpoint accuracy on something

Now, trying to explain this to someone in the sew shop might be a challenge in itself, but it actually works

Eclipse

Quote from: O-Rex on September 15, 2009, 12:11:24 PM
I had this issue when trying to machine-sew the unit CC badge (also very small) on my BDU's.

Can you please cite a regulation or ICL that authorizes the Unit CC badge on BDU's?

"That Others May Zoom"