Easy way to sew on 2nd lt. insignias?

Started by swater96, September 13, 2009, 12:26:17 AM

swater96

Hello, i am wondering if theres an easy way to sew on the cloth insignia on you hat and BDU's. The first time i tried it didnt go very welllll.  :-\

DC

Take an iron and press down the sides of the fabric so you have nice creases and all the excess material is folded up underneath the front. Then use straight pins to secure the insignia in place and sew it on.

I also recommend doing it by hand, I've found it easier than fighting with a sewing machine.

EDIT: I meant do your hat by hand, use a machine for everything else.

swater96

thank you! i never thought of ironing it, and thank you for the 2 second response ;D

1LtNurseOfficer

MIKE

Try using some Elmer's white school glue to tack the folds down once you get the insignia to size.  It can also help to keep the insignia from shifting while you sew it down/remove pins... And it washes out when you are done and isn't as permanent as something like Stitch Witch.
Mike Johnston

swater96

Quote from: MIKE on September 13, 2009, 12:42:09 AM
Try using some Elmer's white school glue to tack the folds down once you get the insignia to size.  It can also help to keep the insignia from shifting while you sew it down/remove pins... And it washes out when you are done and isn't as permanent as something like Stitch Witch.

good idea!

i heard super glue is bad becuase the dot will show through the insignia

Merged - MIKE

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Hawk200

At some hobby stores they market a "fabric glue" stick that washes out. It looks, smells, and feels just like the Elmer's Glue sticks that you see in the school supply isle. Of course, the Elmer's glue is cheaper, and more readily available.

I've used both, and they don't work any differently.

swater96

DC

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on September 13, 2009, 12:35:11 AM
The alterations shop is a good option.
In my experience they screw it up somehow, no matter how specific you are. The exception to that are military shops, but you can only go to those if you are blessed with living in relative proximity to a military base.

DBlair

As others have said, press each side down with the iron. I tend to find the steam setting produces a nice and crisp result. Use pins to place it on the uniform item and be sure to measure before sewing as they have a tendency to shift a bit through the process. Then, I suggest machine sewing as it produces a nicely finished and tight result and is overall less effort than hand-stitching. Ever since I discovered the wonders of machine sewing for patches/insignia, I've never looked back.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Airrace

If you live next to a military base then try the alterations shop on the base as they usually have a great price.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Airrace on September 13, 2009, 03:42:18 AM
If you live next to a military base then try the alterations shop on the base as they usually have a great price.

If you don't have "base access" there are usually military alteration shops outside the gate who are able to provide the same service. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

swater96

arajca

Instead of glue, try Stitch Witchery. It's a fusable fabric. I use it to tack the insignia in place. You cut a small piece, place it between the insignia and shirt fabric (I use it for ALL my insignia, not just grade), and iron it. Let it cool and sew using your preferred method.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on September 13, 2009, 03:28:43 PM
Instead of glue, try Stitch Witchery. It's a fusable fabric. I use it to tack the insignia in place. You cut a small piece, place it between the insignia and shirt fabric (I use it for ALL my insignia, not just grade), and iron it. Let it cool and sew using your preferred method.

There you go.  Elmer's glue?  I can't imagine the mess that would make.

This stuff is also referred to as "iron-on sizing" and usually comes in medium duty and heavy duty.  In a pinch the heavy duty can be counted on to last a day or so in fairly heavy use, not so the medium, however either is great for configuring a uniform and then taking it to the tailer and saying "please just sew these down".

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 13, 2009, 11:05:35 PM
Quote from: arajca on September 13, 2009, 03:28:43 PM

There you go.  Elmer's glue?  I can't imagine the mess that would make.

It's Elmer's School Glue, totally different from "regular" white glue. Water soluble and it washes out.

Chief2009

I've had trouble keeping the corners from blooming out. Did I just not iron them enough?

Also, how much excess blue would you leave for a Lt insignia? I know after it's folded it's 1/8th of an inch, but I'm curious to find what the best pre-folded length would be.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

MIKE

Try snipping them a little.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

I try to leave about 1/4" to fold under. I also sew around the edge of the insignia before I sew it to the garment. Unless you get up really close, the extra stitching is hard to see.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret