Commander badge for BDU

Started by Strick, July 22, 2009, 05:35:30 PM

Eclipse

With respect to the above opinion, the ability to continue wear of the badge permanently below the nametag after being relieved of command is on the table, and frankly how difficult it might be to remove an insignia 3-4 years+ down the road should not be a factor on whether its approved.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Pretty much everyone knows who their squadron commander is within a meeting or two and those that are so new that they don't know that fact are certainly not going to understand the meaning of a Squadron Commanders badge.

It is really just a really big gaudy service ribbon in my book.  There are few enough perks in squadron command that I don't begrudge those who want to wear it the small amount of notoriety it gives them. 

RE: IC badge.  Same thing.  If you don't know the IC at a mission, you probably shouldn't be looking for him and should be working up the ICS system with whatever info you need to relay.  Besides, many folks are wearing separate position badges at base anyway and one that says INCIDENT COMMANDER actually gets the job done compared to some symbolic badge that few people are going to recognize. 

Eclipse

The IC badge is just a specialty badge - no "different" from the GT or wings.

And since its the top of the ES food chain and can take years to attain, it deserves its own badge.

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

There already exists a command service ribbon, right? IIRC, commanders get to continue wearing this ribbon even after moving on from command. The badge was intended to denote those currently in command, and thus had a special place on the uniform. This is as opposed to other badges like the Ground Team badges which can continue to be worn even after the wearer no longer holds the ES qualifications for them.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2009, 08:15:37 PM
With respect to the above opinion, the ability to continue wear of the badge permanently below the nametag after being relieved of command is on the table, and frankly how difficult it might be to remove an insignia 3-4 years+ down the road should not be a factor on whether its approved.

First of all you of all people should know that because things are "on the table" does not mean we place stock in them as if they were in the regulations. Secondly, why is it needed?

I thought it was the general consensus of CAPTALKERs to try to reduce the amount of "bling" on field uniforms.  I mean really, the rants against US Flag patches, Pluto Patches, Squadron Patches and the like.

As my opinion dictates, field uniform items should only have items reflective of field needs.

Minimalist view of field uniforms...
1) Civil Air Patrol (be it a patch, for flight suit, or nametape, for BDUs)
2) Name tape/leather name badge for Flight Suit (for identification)
3) Grade Insignia- to know what professional development level a person as gained
4) Specialty badges (like GT or even a set of wings...some people actually fly in BDUs after all...indicated on leather name plate for flight suit)
5) ES badge/Rank Insignia (related to the ICS system...thus COMM, IC, EMS-indicated on leather name plate for flight suit giving the "duel" badge some purpose...ie when a pilot is also an IC)

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

I don't really care either way, but this aligns us with our parent, including the permanent wear below the
nametag.

If the ABU is ever approved, there will be a multi-year phase in, and most likely the BBDU will continue to be worn.

At that point they can remove if they want from the ABU.  But they won't.  The only difference between the
ABU and the BDU, if we ever get them, will be the material.

I guarantee you there will be no reduction or change to the insignia configuration.  For one thing, there doesn't need to be.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2009, 08:36:27 PM
I guarantee you there will be no reduction or change to the insignia configuration.  For one thing, there doesn't need to be.

You will be quoted as having said as much later.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 22, 2009, 09:07:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2009, 08:36:27 PM

You will be quoted as having said as much later.

Book it.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: N Harmon on July 22, 2009, 08:26:32 PMThere already exists a command service ribbon, right? IIRC, commanders get to continue wearing this ribbon even after moving on from command. The badge was intended to denote those currently in command, and thus had a special place on the uniform. This is as opposed to other badges like the Ground Team badges which can continue to be worn even after the wearer no longer holds the ES qualifications for them.

Command service ribbon was out before the AF came up with a commander badge.

The Air Force allows wear of the badge after leaving a command position, but moves the location. The individual still gets to use the badge, even when they're no longer commander.

If we mirrored AF policy, you'd know the difference between a current and former commander. When it comes to someone wearing a GT badge, you won't, unless you ask.

CAPSGT

Quote from: davidsinn on July 22, 2009, 05:44:42 PM
Nope. It's been proposed a number of times but I don't believe it has ever passed.

Since I haven't seen anybody else come out and clarify it...

NHQ's view was that the cloth badge was already approved with the metal one.  Just to be sure, the National Board did in fact vote to formally authorize it at the February 2009 board meeting.  The past commanders part of the proposal was defeated.  See agenda item 27d on pages 83-84 of the meeting minutes.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron