Commander badge for BDU

Started by Strick, July 22, 2009, 05:35:30 PM

Strick

Did I miss another uniform change?  I noticed Vanguard is selling the commander badge for the BDU.   Is this authorized"?

thanks
[darn]atio memoriae

davidsinn

Nope. It's been proposed a number of times but I don't believe it has ever passed.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

I'm betting it won't be too long before it's authorized. Their phone reps have already been telling people whether or not something is authorized, I'd be curious if they tell someone if this is.

N Harmon

Will the fact that vanguard now carries it and thus has inventory affect the likelihood of it being authorized?  ;)
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: N Harmon on July 22, 2009, 05:59:46 PM
Will the fact that vanguard now carries it and thus has inventory affect the likelihood of it being authorized?

No, the fact that it's already been proposed and there's a board meeting coming up will - one would like
to think that this was directed in advance of the approval.

They will also need to update the wear of the SARDog and ES plane patches as currently they are in the way.  Perhaps get rid of them altogether?  That's my vote.

"That Others May Zoom"

Strick

Thanks for the info all.   Now we will see how many people order it now and just put it on.   I once observed a CAP full Colonel wearing a white on smurf blue CP badge on his BDU.  The guy had it mad at a local place.
[darn]atio memoriae

Hawk200

Quote from: N Harmon on July 22, 2009, 05:59:46 PMWill the fact that vanguard now carries it and thus has inventory affect the likelihood of it being authorized?  ;)

That's what I'm thinking.

I just looked it at. It looks bad. I hope later ones look better. CAP would get stuck footing the bill if they approve that garbage.

Strick

I would tro have produced at a local vendor near an AF Base.
[darn]atio memoriae

Hawk200

Quote from: Strick on July 22, 2009, 06:14:30 PM
I would tro have produced at a local vendor near an AF Base.

Why near an AF base? Our CC badge doesn't look similar enough that an AF badge could be modified.

Hawk200

Quote from: Strick on July 22, 2009, 06:04:59 PMNow we will see how many people order it now and just put it on.

And anyone wearing it is gonna argue "Well, they make it, so it must be authorized!"

Vanguard needs a hand slap for this.

Eclipse

Quote from: Strick on July 22, 2009, 06:04:59 PM
Thanks for the info all.   Now we will see how many people order it now and just put it on.   I once observed a CAP full Colonel wearing a white on smurf blue CP badge on his BDU.  The guy had it mad at a local place.

The reality is that there are some high-end home embroidery systems that can make up everything - I was real close to buying one at one point.  Its the ones that can do them at a commercial level that are expensive.

You can pick up a Brother PE-700II which would be more than capable of all of our embroidered insignia for around $700 - well within the crazy world of CAP where members spend thousands for radio equipment, etc.

http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=PE700II

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 22, 2009, 06:25:12 PM
And anyone wearing it is gonna argue "Well, they make it, so it must be authorized!"

Vanguard needs a hand slap for this.

To be fair that's been an issue since the Bookstore days.  How many people do you still see wearing the embroidered edge luggage name tape on their uniforms?

You can't expect them to know our regs, especially when we can't even agree on them as members.
Someone told them to produce them and they did.  Though it probably would be better for them to wait for approval before they put them up in the store.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

What we need is fewer patches/badges, not more.  :P

Failing that, fewer badges/patches authorized at one time.  If someone needs a badge so people will know that they're the commander, then there's something wrong with their leadership.  YMMV

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on July 22, 2009, 07:10:19 PMIf someone needs a badge so people will know that they're the commander, then there's something wrong with their leadership.

Agreed. But CAP adopted one because the Air Force did. It's really the only reason we have it. Be nice if we mirrored their policies on it, though.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2009, 06:28:58 PMSomeone told them to produce them and they did.

Do we actually know that someone did? There were a lot of folks rather puzzled when an IT badge showed up the Vanguard website, and there wasn't even any concrete criteria on the specialty track.

Kinda putting the cart before the horse.

MIKE

Whats funny is that IIRC the USAF isn't wearing the CC's badge on the ABU... So, like the embroidered NCO epaulet sleeves... Day late and a dollar short.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on July 22, 2009, 07:40:00 PM
Whats funny is that IIRC the USAF isn't wearing the CC's badge on the ABU... So, like the embroidered NCO epaulet sleeves... Day late and a dollar short.

You do recall correctly. The ABU release message states specifically that the commander's badge is not authorized.

I find it a bit amusing, a first sergeant can show position, but a commander can't. Makes you wonder a bit.

Gunner C

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 22, 2009, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on July 22, 2009, 07:10:19 PMIf someone needs a badge so people will know that they're the commander, then there's something wrong with their leadership.

Agreed. But CAP adopted one because the Air Force did. It's really the only reason we have it. Be nice if we mirrored their policies on it, though.
The reason the AF did it was because the Navy has one.  Bad reasoning on their part.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

I reason that Squadron Command is, or should be, seen as temporary and not so much a mission related skill. I wouldn't relish the thought of having to remove the sewn on bade from my BDUs when I finally retire Squadron Command.

If you will indulge in some CAP THEORY.

This is one of those "Functional" versus "Operational" specialty issues.  Squadron Command is more of the "functional specialty" side of the house and the position of Squadron Commander is really little more than notoriety at an ES function.   The badge that would better serve an "operational function" would be the Incident Commander's badge.

What is the justification?  Well, if you need to identify a qualified IC at a SAR or ES Activity (if that is even a need, that is to be able to identify people by qualification and position) then the IC command badge on BDUs and Flight suits would be more appropriate.  Squadron Commander's badges might present confusion.

Ideally (and note the word), A Squadron Commander's badge may make more sense at a regular meeting...where blues or alternate would most likely be worn.

Note, this does not preclude the idea that BDUs might be worn to meetings.  As I understand it, flight suits are only to be worn when flying is a direct factor and I am well aware that polo shirts are worn in a large number of squadron (a fact that makes badges a moot point.)

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454