required flag on BDU's?

Started by capchiro, May 22, 2006, 02:29:45 PM

mikeylikey

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on June 02, 2006, 11:51:29 PM
Quote from: shorning on June 02, 2006, 08:57:58 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on June 02, 2006, 08:23:51 PM
It just looks like some of the PAWG-bashing is a bit knee-jerk and comes from those who perhaps possess less than the information one would expect one to possess to fit in the category of 'informed'.

And yet 95% of the time, no one bothers to correct those misconceptions.  I'd hasten a guess that most PA Wingers like the idea that they are "different".

You'd probably be wrong, and you'd definitely be guilty of the same thing as a number of folks here and elsewhere.

I won't speak for others, but it could be that some of us are tired of repeating ourselves in efforts to correct statements made ad nauseaum by the ignorant or the malicious. It could also be that some of us may well be busy trying to get the 'job' done and done right. I'm lucky to be able to participate at the unit level of late thanks to work and other demands on my time.

Based on some of the comments I've read here and in other forums, one could almost conclude that nobody in any other wing ever did anything other than exemplary and members of every other wing excrete vanilla ice cream...  ::)

Yes, but as history shows, when NHQ says "PA Wing take off those ranger class tabs", PA Wing does not listen.  OR, PAWG do this, they tend not to follow along as quickly as they should.  I understand some things may not be popular, and there may be resistance to change, but when it repeatedly happens, thats when the negative titles are applied.  Usually when CAP members throughout the county think of Pennsylvania, only one thing comes to mind and that is Hawk MTN.  With that, you then get either the negative feelings toward the wing or the positive feelings based on the individual perception of Hawk.  It is a shame that it happens that way :(
What's up monkeys?

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 03, 2006, 02:08:18 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on June 02, 2006, 11:51:29 PM
Quote from: shorning on June 02, 2006, 08:57:58 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on June 02, 2006, 08:23:51 PM
It just looks like some of the PAWG-bashing is a bit knee-jerk and comes from those who perhaps possess less than the information one would expect one to possess to fit in the category of 'informed'.

And yet 95% of the time, no one bothers to correct those misconceptions.  I'd hasten a guess that most PA Wingers like the idea that they are "different".

You'd probably be wrong, and you'd definitely be guilty of the same thing as a number of folks here and elsewhere.

I won't speak for others, but it could be that some of us are tired of repeating ourselves in efforts to correct statements made ad nauseaum by the ignorant or the malicious. It could also be that some of us may well be busy trying to get the 'job' done and done right. I'm lucky to be able to participate at the unit level of late thanks to work and other demands on my time.

Based on some of the comments I've read here and in other forums, one could almost conclude that nobody in any other wing ever did anything other than exemplary and members of every other wing excrete vanilla ice cream...  ::)

Yes, but as history shows, when NHQ says "PA Wing take off those ranger class tabs", PA Wing does not listen.  OR, PAWG do this, they tend not to follow along as quickly as they should.  I understand some things may not be popular, and there may be resistance to change, but when it repeatedly happens, thats when the negative titles are applied.  Usually when CAP members throughout the county think of Pennsylvania, only one thing comes to mind and that is Hawk MTN.  With that, you then get either the negative feelings toward the wing or the positive feelings based on the individual perception of Hawk.  It is a shame that it happens that way :(

I personally witnessed some of what you describe in re: the ranger tabs - no argument there.

On the other hand, if I had a nickel for every time someone clue-deprived spread rumors or stories or just plain trashtalk about Hawk Mountain [or almost anything else within PAWG] without any first-hand knowledge or experience to back up their nonsense, I'd have already bought my dream boat and either retired to the Eastern Shore or decided to make my own run at playing Slocum or Moitessier for a change of pace and a real non-CAP or non-emergency-services vacation for the first time in a long, long time. [Gee, can ya tell I'm a little crispy around the edges?  ::)]

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

I've got two slightly related comments here.

Firstly, regarding the CAWG wing patch placement, I challenge you to sew one onto a BDU shirt in the CAPM 39-1 prescribed placement without breaking at least one sewing machine needle. The "wings" end up being on the shoulder seams. Sewing through five layers of cloth, on a seam, is no easy feat. The placement was moved down to facilitate sewing them on and having them look "right" on the clothing.

Secondly, PAWG isn't the only wing to catch grief from the forums. CAWG gets their share, too, as seen above.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Quote from: SarDragon on June 04, 2006, 05:13:53 AM
Secondly, PAWG isn't the only wing to catch grief from the forums. CAWG gets their share, too, as seen above.

"California Air Patrol"  ;D  Just mess'n with ya major.

I think all wings have issues... When there is photographic evidence for things like uniforms... Or something in print like a supplement that's "a little off the mark," then you should expect to draw fire.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

Ok, I have been out of CAP for a year. The wing patch is "optional"? when did that come down? So, what are you supposed to wear on your BDU's now?

MIKE

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 04, 2006, 09:28:25 PM
Ok, I have been out of CAP for a year. The wing patch is "optional"? when did that come down? So, what are you supposed to wear on your BDU's now?

Quote from: CAP/CC Letter, Change to CAPM 39-1, March 2006 National Board Uniform Changesb. Removal of Wing/Region/National Patch. The Wing/Region/National patch is
no longer worn on the AF-style light blue shirt/blouse or any AF-style blue outer garment
(light weight jacket, pullover sweater, all weather coat, etc.) Wing/Region/National patches
are now optional on BDUs, flight suits, CAP field and utility uniforms. These patches must
be removed from blue AF-style garments by 1 August 2006.

Quote from: CAP/CC Letter, Change to CAPM 39-1, March 2006 National Board Uniform Changesg. Optional patches previously worn on the right shoulder of the BDUs, field
and utility uniforms. Those patches that were removed to allow wear of the reverse
American flag on the right shoulder are now authorized to be worn centered on the lower
portion of the left pocket or corresponding position on the utility uniform. The mandatory
wear date of the reverse American flag was extended to 1 April 2007.

Mike Johnston

flyguy06

I was aware about taking them off of the Blue uniforms. i am talking about the BDUs. I see the regs say Optional, but I think they are rrefering to Squadron patcehes, not the officail Wing Patach. Squadron patches have always been optional. but I think you HAVE to wear a Wing patch on your BDU's.
Patches like Proficiency pilot have always been optional as well.

MIKE

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 04, 2006, 11:38:41 PM
I was aware about taking them off of the Blue uniforms. i am talking about the BDUs. I see the regs say Optional, but I think they are rrefering to Squadron patcehes, not the officail Wing Patach. Squadron patches have always been optional. but I think you HAVE to wear a Wing patch on your BDU's.

No, it is referring to the Wing/Region/National patch as worn on the left shoulder.  The patches you are thinking of are referred to as "Organizational (Unit) Patch" per CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4. Item 10.

Mike Johnston