ABU approval is in!!!!

Started by Angus, April 01, 2016, 03:44:08 PM

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2016, 10:00:36 PM
You didn't just get that, right?  It's over a month old and was discussed here.

You beat me to it.

Quote from: Raikkonen on April 07, 2016, 09:51:40 PM
The latest edition of Volunteer Magazine has a picture of bunch of CAP pilots getting an award and two of them were wearing AF boots...  Guess they do what they want.

I can't tell on all three of them, but at least one of those pilots is an Air Force Lt Col. The other two, however, definitely appear not to be in compliance.

To me, this is a bunch of idiotic b.s.   We are just fine in our BDUs. 

I'm curious what exactly you feel is idiotic b.s. about this uniform transition. There have been so many reasons to hate the ABU, I'm just curious what your reason is.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

vesryn

Personally, I'm excited about these new changes. However, they do present significant problems.

1. How will units pay for them? Currently, the AF is supposed to destroy all unused and old sets of ABUs. Will this change?
2. If units don't pay for them, how will cadets pay? A good set of ABUs will set you back about $300.
3. What will become of the monstrosity of mixed uniforms at public NCSAs line NBB? The uniformity of CAP uniforms will be completely gone for the next 5 years as cadets all around the world get ABUs at different rates.

Anyways, that's my two cents on ABUs.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

abdsp51

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 07, 2016, 11:57:18 PM

1. How will units pay for them? Currently, the AF is supposed to destroy all unused and old sets of ABUs. Will this change?
2. If units don't pay for them, how will cadets pay? A good set of ABUs will set you back about $300

Cite....

PHall

Personally, I'm excited about these new changes. However, they do present significant problems.

2. If units don't pay for them, how will cadets pay? A good set of ABUs will set you back about $300.
3. What will become of the monstrosity of mixed uniforms at public NCSAs line NBB? The uniformity of CAP uniforms will be completely gone for the next 5 years as cadets all around the world get ABUs at different rates.

Air Force is not destroying ABU's. In fact many units have been offering them to their local CAP units.
They're also pretty plentiful in Surplus stores too.

By my math you're about a nickel short! >:D

Eclipse

1. How will units pay for them?

"Units" don't.  Uniforms are the responsibility of the member, senior or cadet.

Where does this idea come from that "units" are responsible for issuing anything?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on April 08, 2016, 01:16:15 AM

Where does this idea come from that "units" are responsible for issuing anything?

Memories of vast inventories of uniforms as a cadet.

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 08, 2016, 02:23:51 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 08, 2016, 01:16:15 AM

Memories of vast inventories of uniforms as a cadet.

Fair enough - a 12 year old slick sleeve isn't going to be too interested in where the cool threads
came from, only that he got them and "mom didn't complain".

But by the time you get to be an officer, which means you are likely 15+, you should have some
understanding of the economics of that situation.

There are some units that still have supplies, and those will still be usable for the next couple of years
during the phase out (which assumes approval).  Beyond that, DRMO will probably loosen their grip
on the old uniforms, and BTW, we're in a draw-down, so there will likely be a channel like the olde days.

Not as many to go around, but CAP is markedly smaller, so the math probably works out.

In fact, one with a cynical eye could see a line drawn from the draw-down and someone at DRMO
saying "What the heck are we going to do with these?  Why isn't CAP wearing them already?"

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

That's been the case every single time there's been a transition. I've watched several in my time in CAP. It happens in the RealMilitary™ all the time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vesryn

Quote from: SarDragon on April 08, 2016, 04:29:34 AM
That's been the case every single time there's been a transition. I've watched several in my time in CAP. It happens in the RealMilitary™ all the time.

I suppose so. There still are a lot of soldiers in UCP on base, and not many OCPs.
Eaker #3363

Fubar

I thought NBB typically broke uniformity by requiring different undershirts and of course the beret itself. We already break "uniformity" for a variety of reasons, a uniform transition is just another legitimate reason for that to happen.

vesryn

Quote from: Fubar on April 08, 2016, 10:19:35 PM

I thought NBB typically broke uniformity by requiring different undershirts and of course the beret itself. We already break "uniformity" for a variety of reasons, a uniform transition is just another legitimate reason for that to happen.

As far as I know, all the cadets at the event are the same, except the RBs obviously have their berets from the start of the activities.

All cadets wear the same t-shirt at all times, and all cadets wear the same cover.
Eaker #3363

jeders

Quote from: Fubar on April 08, 2016, 10:19:35 PM

When brown t-shirts were authorized, we wore those to distinguish ourselves from any other CAP personnel at AirVenture who were likely going to be wearing black t-shirts. It makes it easier when someone complains about CAP to narrow down who it was.

Now that only black shirts are authorized, we wear blue baseball caps with NBB on them. But in all cases, everyone at NBB wears the same thing; and when working, no one wears the beret.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Raikkonen

Yes, yes I did.   

Raikkonen

Quote from: jeders on April 07, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

You beat me to it.

The latest edition of Volunteer Magazine has a picture of bunch of CAP pilots getting an award and two of them were wearing AF boots...  Guess they do what they want.

I can't tell on all three of them, but at least one of those pilots is an Air Force Lt Col. The other two, however, definitely appear not to be in compliance.

To me, this is a bunch of idiotic b.s.   We are just fine in our BDUs. 

I'm curious what exactly you feel is idiotic b.s. about this uniform transition. There have been so many reasons to hate the ABU, I'm just curious what your reason is.

Yes, we just got that email.  For some reason AZ-046 is always late to the party. 

Yes, I'm aware the guy on the far left is a Lt. Col.  I spent enough years in the Air Force to recognize who is who in that picture.

I don't hate the ABU.  The thing I hate is that some uniform committee sat down and thought the ABU with black boots was a good idea. 
That's not really the part that I think is idiotic B.S.  What I think is B.S. is that I'm seeing members wearing the new AF boots in their flight suits.  I'm seeing people with cloth ranks on flight suits.  I'm seeing Seniors wearing 4 button, two pocket Service Coats.... all things that go against the regulation... but nobody says anything to any of them.  I'm seeing individuals of "higher rank" deciding to wear the ABU in whatever configuration they want...  In the military we NEVER begin to wear uniforms or uniform items until the publication is updated for wear and appearance of said things.  I actually counseled an E6 for showing up to my class with an Army Basic Instructor Badge on his uniform before the wear was authorized by the Army... even though he had orders for it, it wasn't in the regs yet.  Regulations keep us on track... even in CAP where we are structured like, but are not the military. 

I've spent 14 years in two branches of the military... I've seen the uniform changes happen quite a few times with quite a few different uniforms...  What I never saw was the fiasco that is occurring right now in CAP with these uniforms.  And that, my friend, is what I'm calling idiotic B.S.   

Eclipse

Quote from: Raikkonen on April 12, 2016, 12:55:19 AM
Yes, we just got that email.  For some reason AZ-046 is always late to the party. 

The message was sent directly to all members at the same time.

That's not really the part that I think is idiotic B.S.  What I think is B.S. is that I'm seeing members wearing the new AF boots in their flight suits.  I'm seeing people with cloth ranks on flight suits.  I'm seeing Seniors wearing 4 button, two pocket Service Coats.... all things that go against the regulation... but nobody says anything to any of them.  I'm seeing individuals of "higher rank" deciding to wear the ABU in whatever configuration they want...  In the military we NEVER begin to wear uniforms or uniform items until the publication is updated for wear and appearance of said things.  I actually counseled an E6 for showing up to my class with an Army Basic Instructor Badge on his uniform before the wear was authorized by the Army... even though he had orders for it, it wasn't in the regs yet.  Regulations keep us on track... even in CAP where we are structured like, but are not the military. 

I find much of this hard to believe, but assuming it's true, not that surprising, and if true, your frustration is warranted, though you should feel empowered to call people on it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

That's not how email works.

Paul_AK

Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

JeffDG

Quote from: Paul_AK on April 22, 2016, 05:32:12 PM
I don't hate the ABU.
I do.
Then the good news for you is that it will not be mandatory.  You will retain the BBDU option indefinitely.

Paul_AK

Quote from: JeffDG on April 22, 2016, 06:23:47 PM
Quote from: Paul_AK on April 22, 2016, 05:32:12 PM
I don't hate the ABU.
I do.
Then the good news for you is that it will not be mandatory.  You will retain the BBDU option indefinitely.
Partially good news. The problems I have with the ABU don't stem from the CAP. Unfortunately I'll be stuck with it until the AF changes again.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

calebtornado12

Speaking of not being able to wear a uniform until the reg has been posted/released, one of the Senior Members (technically I'm supposed to call them officers now) wanted to make his uniform of the new ABU for CAP early, but not wear it until the reg is officially sent out and ready to go. The part I want to know is where they got the new name plates and rank tags. I know they haven't put them on Vanguard yet, but he had both the new CAP and Last name ones that are dark blue with silver (last name was customized to his last name). Does anyone know where people have been getting these? Just curious, I'm not planning on getting some, but just curious.   
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...