Can 2 (or more) people get credit for recruiting one person?

Started by talldude, April 16, 2014, 02:55:22 AM

NIN

Quote from: LSThiker on April 17, 2014, 02:47:19 PM
Thanks. So as I was saying the CAPF15 and eServices are for recruiting and not the award criteria. The decision to award the credit for the ribbon is up to the commander.

And now for the required CAP Knowledge Base is not correct argument.  Which I will not be getting into so have fun with that

hehe.

At the end of the day, the purpose of the ribbon is to encourage recruiting, right?

The commander's intent, if I don't read things too wrong, is to encourage and reward those (legitimate) efforts that resulted in a member joining.

"I talked to Johnny Smith before he joined" is not "I recruited him."

"I recruited Cadet Smith. He put my name on the sheet, etc, etc"

On more than one occasion, I would have a cadet come in about a recruiter ribbon and when pressed about who he recruited, it was a 45 second stammering conversation about "Maybe Jones, or was it Murphy?" 

"Did you *really* recruit these guys?"

Sometimes I'd spot check: "Hey, Jones, who recruited you?"
"Cadet Cleanlinen, sir."
"Check, thanks!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on April 17, 2014, 03:15:51 PM
But now you are going to have people butt hurt because they helped recruit that new person.
Also who makes the determination of who's name goes on the form?   Is it just up to the new person?   Maybe they don't care who actually did all the recruiting and they put their friend's name on the application?

One  circumstance I knew of: whenever a new member inquiry came into a wing, a packet with a brochure, a unit contact information sheet and a set of CAPF 15s or CAPF 12s went to this prospect (no matter where in the wing) with one particular member's name pre-filled into the recruiter spot on the form. 

You'd ask "Oh, Major [redacted] recruited you?" and you'd get back "Who?"

In the world of John Cusack "Real smooth, Cliff."

QuoteThe point being.....the purpose of the recruiting ribbon is two fold.......to encourage members to recruit and to recognize those who do recruit.

Precisely. I tended to take a "one-to-one" however, just to avoid divvying up credit.

Yes, it did result in some folks going "But, but.."

But usually not.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

So easy!

"Recruit New, for how long did cadet Sweet talk to you? How many times were you with cadet Poop?"

"Cadet Poop, you do not get credit. Cadet Sweet talked with Recruit New 20 times, for more than twenty minutes each. You did not p___ enough effort to recruit that cadet..."

It looks to me some of you do not want to be the bearer of bad news and say instead "the regs are to blame..."

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

The more thorough the documentation for the 2A..

.. and then if you see multiple people with the same claims, it brings into question the rest of that unit file cabinet. :)

Ribbon trolling at it's finest.

Grumpy

Hey, I say just send in a copy of the squadron roster and give everybody credit.  After all, the recruit joined the squadron because they liked what the squadron did, right?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Grumpy on April 17, 2014, 08:41:35 PM
Hey, I say just send in a copy of the squadron roster and give everybody credit.  After all, the recruit joined the squadron because they liked what the squadron did, right?

So if you have 20 cadets and your unit recruits two new cadets, all 20 should get the Recruiter Ribbon? Yeah... I don't think so. With 20 cadets, you should see 40 new cadets in your unit before everyone gets the ribbon.

Luis R. Ramos

If I were in the position to give 20 members credit for the ribbon in question, I would only give them 1/10 of a ribbon...  :P

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on April 18, 2014, 02:07:10 AM
Horizontal, or vertical slice?

45° starting from the left upper corner.

With each subsequent award, he recipient receives the >next< slice in the order, but is not allowed to
wear it until he has a compete ribbon.

Vanguard sells the slices for $1.00 each, $29.99 for a complete ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2014, 03:05:28 AM
I know I don't under the new Common Curriculmn math......but 10*$1.00 is not $29.99  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

What's important is not the actual answer, but how you got there.  Just remember that.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 18, 2014, 03:11:45 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2014, 03:05:28 AM
I know I don't under the new Common Curriculmn math......but 10*$1.00 is not $29.99  :)

Handling fees - someone has to slice all those ribbons.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2014, 02:44:33 PM
Here's something that is the final answer, I can't check it.  How many CAPIDs can you indicate on the new online form?

I just looked. Recruiting info is not being collected, which effectively makes the recruiting report in eServices useless.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

a2capt

I still can't believe the topic, really? If you have to stretch to justify .. if it took two of you to get someone.. you're going to bicker over who gets the credit? That's essentially what's happening.

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on April 18, 2014, 04:55:08 AM
I still can't believe the topic, really? If you have to stretch to justify .. if it took two of you to get someone.. you're going to bicker over who gets the credit? That's essentially what's happening.
Yep.

We are discussing the ramifications of the awards program and how to get the maximum benefit out of it.

We are discussing the gray areas that are not clearly spelled out in the regulations.

Two people will only have to bicker about it.......if.......we are not allowed to share credit or give credit to two or more people.

And if you think that is not important.....the you simply do not under some CAP members.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

I tend to be a little more black & white about stuff like this.

We're not John Godfrey & his wingman gunning an Fw-190 in a turning fight over the Rhine here.

Do you give the centerfielder partial credit for the catch just because he was there to backup the shortstop? No.

You want the trophy ribbon, do the work. Be the recruiter who seals the deal.   "It pays to be a winnner."

Anything else invites random straphangers and back-benchers to take credit for the work of others.  And it diminishes that effort.

Smart cadets will avoid "group" recruiting efforts  because they don't want to bust their butt just so the kid who showed up late with his uniform all jacked up and then spent more time over jaw-jacking with the girls will try to claim they were involved in actually recruiting a particular prospective member.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on April 18, 2014, 11:49:41 AM
You want the trophy ribbon, do the work. Be the recruiter who seals the deal.   "It pays to be a winnner."

Coffee is for closers.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2014, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 18, 2014, 11:49:41 AM

Coffee is for closers.

As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado Recruiter Ribbon. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on April 18, 2014, 12:46:47 PM
As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado Recruiter Ribbon. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired...

This makes my heart leap with joy. Let me go get my briefcase.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP