Question regarding sleeve lengths

Started by Superfreak, February 21, 2014, 06:48:57 PM

Superfreak

Hello,

I never post here, but my hand has been forced. As a fairly new cadet that joined "late" (I'm 17) I am somewhat at a loss on what to do. My whole squadron wears short sleeved blue shirts to blues meetings, but the SS shirt is EXPENSIVE to me (I have to buy my own uniform items). The LS shirt is cheaper, but will I get torn apart during inspection for wearing an LS shirt instead of a SS one? I had a SS one that was used, but it is all but ruined and two sizes too big, which is why I have to get a new one. (I order off of AAFES, since it is cheaper, and they have discontinued the cheap SS shirt.)

BTW if this is a stupid post to make, or if it belongs somewhere else, please tell me.

thanks

Eclipse

The presumption here is that the uniform you were issued is either too small or otherwise no longer serviceable, correct?

As a cadet, you are only required to possess the "minimum basic uniform", and cannot be required to wear anything
else unless it is issued to you.

See CAPM 39-1, Page 8

"1-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow
for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip
himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members
will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets
and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear
the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may
be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as
designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.
Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by
acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander
may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the
uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet.
The omission of a specific item or appearance standard
does not automatically permit its wear."

The next paragraph defines the minimum basic uniform.

"a. Minimum Basic Service Uniform. Male: Short-sleeve, light blue shirt; dark blue trousers; blue
belt/silver buckle, blue flight cap; black shoes, and socks. Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch,
collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight cap emblem. Female: Short-sleeve light
blue blouse; Dark blue skirt or slacks; flight cap; neutral nylon hose; black shoes; black handbag.
Insignia: CAP nameplate, shoulder patch, collar/lapel insignia, embroidered epaulet sleeve, and flight
cap emblem."

In short, while it is understandable that the commander wants a uniform appearance, he cannot
mandate you wear anything except the MBU as indicated above (and yes, this includes BDUs
despite the fact that many commanders consider them "required").

If this a legitimate financial issue for you, then you should discuss this issue with your commander
in a discreet and professional manner, and probably involve your parents (depending on your age).
Showing your CC the above should be enough to end the conversation, if it isn't, then you should consider
addressing the issue with the next higher headquarters.

"That Others May Zoom"

Superfreak

Thanks for replying!

I knew the regs on the issue, I just wanted some tangible advice. I should probably do just that. Thanks so much!

mdickinson

My experience has been that the short sleeve blue shirt can be bought used very cheaply. I used to buy them from "Old Lincoln County," a mail-order surplus store run by a CAP member, for $5 or $10 each.

1. There are dozens of places selling them used, like this one ($6.99):
http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com/airforce-dress-shirt-short-sleeve-used

2. Try this ebay search and you will see short sleeve blues shirts selling for $9.95 - $19.95. Some have free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Uniforms-/104023/i.html?_from=R40&_sac=1&_nkw=air+force+uniform+shirt+short+-women+-green+-abu+-battle+-coat+-bdu+-vintage+-viet+-camo+-blouse+-long

3. The Coast Guard wears the same shirt, so you can also try searching under that (though at this moment this ebay search doesn't turn up any):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=coast+guard+uniform+shirt+blue+-odu+-female+-women+-womens&_sac=1&_osacat=104023&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcoast+guard+uniform+shirt+blue+-odu+-female+-women+-womens+-long&_nkw=coast+guard+uniform+shirt+blue+-odu+-female+-women+-womens+-long&_sacat=104023

4. Other options:
  • I have also found them (rarely) at used clothing stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army. Not likely to work, but it won't cost anything to go try your local used clothing store.
  • Army/navy stores often sell used shirts. Should be between $6 and $12.
  • Thrift stores on military bases have them, if you happen to live near one.
  • Ask folks at your squadron or nearby squadrons if anyone has one your size that they have recently outgrown.

Good luck - sorry to hear your free uniform was defective. Hopefully one of these options will work out for minimal $.

Eclipse

So what happened to your free shirt from NHQ?

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

The cheaper version of the blue short sleeve service shirt is still sold. I'm surprised that you couldn't find it at AAFES. Have you checked at a local Exchange/MCSS? You should also try surplus and/or thrift stores.

Superfreak

Hi all, Thanks for the replies.

The situation has been resolved. I called AAFES again to make sure they didn't have it, and the lady I talked to told me that they did have it and that the last person I talked to had NO idea how to handle CAP orders. So I ordered it, and it's on its way here. :D

The free uniform I got was literally, like three sizes too small, the shirt AND the pants. I got pants from my squadron's hangar, but all the shirts were ratty, which is why I bought a new one. I did fill out my sizes correctly, I have no clue how they messed up as badly as they did. Strangely, the hat was a perfect fit.

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: Superfreak on February 24, 2014, 06:18:20 PM
Hi all, Thanks for the replies.

The situation has been resolved. I called AAFES again to make sure they didn't have it, and the lady I talked to told me that they did have it and that the last person I talked to had NO idea how to handle CAP orders. So I ordered it, and it's on its way here. :D

The free uniform I got was literally, like three sizes too small, the shirt AND the pants. I got pants from my squadron's hangar, but all the shirts were ratty, which is why I bought a new one. I did fill out my sizes correctly, I have no clue how they messed up as badly as they did. Strangely, the hat was a perfect fit.

What happened to it?

If they send you the wrong size, all you have to do is send it back and get a replacement.

Not really a big deal.

"That Others May Zoom"