Tactical flight duty uniform

Started by BigShu, September 19, 2012, 12:01:04 AM

BigShu

I was just looking at jackets (it's finally cooling off in the midwest), and I saw a uniform supplier site that was touting their TFDU. Essentially, a 2 piece flying, or flight line, or other aircrew support role uniform. It's in the AF tiger stripe camo, and appeared in the pic to have some of the features common to flight suits.
There was another thread that mentioned, I think it was a marine, wearing a 2 piece uniform that looked like a standard combat uni, but was in fact the new flight suit for aviators, maybe rotary wing, don't remember exactly.
I guess my question is, does it appear the die is cast on replacing coveralls with 2 piece flight suits? I probably should have posted this in the aviation section, but uniforms seemed the best fit.
Just to head things off, I'm not asking about potential CAP adoption of anything new, I'm just asking if anyone else has seen (heard of) this change taking place, and if they think such a change is good or bad.

Eclipse

Quote from: BigShu on September 19, 2012, 12:01:04 AMI guess my question is, does it appear the die is cast on replacing coveralls with 2 piece flight suits?

No die is cast, or even a shooter selected.

The flight suit is probably one of uniform combinations that is least likely to change, nothing has been published publicly that
a change is even up for discussion.

For all the text written about the corporate service-equivalents, and the desire to change our field uniforms, the flight suit(s)
rarely come up in conversations.

I doubt there would be much support for a 2-piece version.

Ignore - reread and this is not a question regarding CAP's adoption.

Here's a pic:

And some info:
http://soldiersystems.net/2011/07/01/now-approved-for-wear-in-afcent-tactical-flight-duty-uniform/

"That Others May Zoom"

BigShu

I saw the same link not long after I posted the question. Since there are already multiple suppliers (the place I saw it was not the 2 mentioned in the story), and it's approved for wear, it seems the die HAS been cast. Personally, I cant see a reason for camo in a cockpit. I doubt it's value in a bailout situation either, and it's the opposite of what you want in a SAR objective. On a side note, a recent article about flight testing experimental aircraft (home built, not commercial), specific mention was made of making sure the test pilot had proper gear in case there might be a bailout: parachute, helmet, and flight suit (coveralls). Hard to believe we'd ever get away from coveralls, but leather helmets and fur lined coats are long gone too.

PHall

The ARMY went to the two piece ACU flight suits several years ago.

The rest of the services are wearing either sage green or sand CWU-27/P flight suits, depending on where they're at.

The same one's they've worn for years.

Eclipse

Camo probably makes as much sense as any other color, and more so at base or on the flight line where snipers might be an
issue.

A better color for the USAF flight suits would probably be some level of grey to blend into the aircraft, but then you'd stick
out on the flight line.

"That Others May Zoom"

BigShu

Quote from: PHall on September 19, 2012, 01:24:03 AM
The ARMY went to the two piece ACU flight suits several years ago.

The rest of the services are wearing either sage green or sand CWU-27/P flight suits, depending on where they're at.

The same one's they've worn for years.

Right, but this doesn't seem to be the case going forward, at least in some places. I'm polling to see if anyone who wears a flight suit sees any value in a 2 piece flight suit (other than taking a dump). I've not flown in BBDUs, so I don't know. Shirt and slcks probably isn't the same, since there's no overlap riding up with a tucked in shirt.

BigShu

Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2012, 01:28:32 AM
Camo probably makes as much sense as any other color, and more so at base or on the flight line where snipers might be an
issue.

A better color for the USAF flight suits would probably be some level of grey to blend into the aircraft, but then you'd stick
out on the flight line.

Sounds like time for active camo! Or at least go with concrete grey.

BigShu

The more I look at the pic, the more I wonder how do g-suits and other vests and harnesses work with a 2 piece flight suit? I read a link that indicated the new suits are worn mostly on C-130s, or helis....no worries for fighter jocks then, eh?

Critical AOA

The first flight suits were two piece, leather jacket over leather pants.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

bosshawk

I seem to recall that the Army had two piece nomex flight suits in Viet Nam.  Have no idea why they went back to one piece suits, but maybe somebody on CT can remember that far back.  I didn't fly in VN, so have no first-hand knowledge.  Now, the Army is back to two piece flight suits: what goes around, comes around?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Walkman

We had an Army Blackhawk driver in recently and he's the one I mentioned in the other thread about the new ACU flight suit. His big issue with the two-piece was how the top tended to ride up under his other gear, leaving areas of his torso exposed and uncomfortable.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The Australian Army Aviation Corps wears a two-piece camouflage suit for their helo aircrew (Chinooks, Blackhawks, Eurocopter Tigers).

The RNZAF has a similar setup, except in sage green:

Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2012, 01:28:32 AM
A better color for the USAF flight suits would probably be some level of grey

Which would all but guarantee adoption by CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

sarmed1

I recall some AF crew mates or organic AC crews testing 2 piece FS in tan during deployment/rotation, but the unofficial word was that no one believed that any crew, especially pilots would be giving up the 1 piece version anytime in the forceable future, especially the home station green.  They would come up with enough arguments to justify said position as needed.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on September 19, 2012, 06:33:30 PM

Interesting that despite this being a"shirt" cut, the sleeves are still too short.  Even rolled down they'd wouldn't
be as long as a normal shirt.

Is this by design to keep them from getting caught on stuff?

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

In that picture, it looks to me like his sleeves are rolled up at least one roll: maybe tucked under.  You are correct if they aren't rolled: too short to be effective.

But then, Aussies and New Zealanders are a tough breed.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: bosshawk on September 19, 2012, 09:35:44 PM
But then, Aussies and New Zealanders are a tough breed.

They are.  But Kiwis tend to be a bit more reserved.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011