Wings (Air Crew Badge) for Scanners?

Started by supertigerCH, April 09, 2012, 09:30:05 AM

andysum15

The rating of CAP Observer does not expire as noted in e-services it's only the op qual that runs out. Therefore the wings can be worn.
Maj. Andy Sumner

flyboy53

If you go into the left column of e-services, into my Operational Qualifications, and then in the sub-category of Pilot, there's a area called "CAP Ratings," open it and check the approprate observer or pilot rating, it initiates a request to your commander to approve it. The outcome is that your rating will show up in e-services as permanent and does not expire.  In another area, you can do the same with the ES Patch, ES Badge and GT badges.

Certainly, once an aeronautical rating is awarded, the wings are permanent, but if it is displayed in e-services, there's no question.

I had a break in service because of CAP-RAP. When I rejoined, my orginal records (with the exception of what ever certificates and decorations I had previously earned) went to the winds. A check of NHQ found a computer record with my original observer rating on it and it was NHQ that said to put the wings back on.

BrannG

Quote from: wuzafuzz on April 09, 2012, 12:15:01 PM
+1

Expand the crew wings to Aerial Photographers and Mission Scanners.  Most of their job is in the air.  In fact I've had to work harder as an AP than I ever did as a Scanner.

I already have Observer wings, so this isn't a bling quest.  It just seems right.

+1 I agree with this logic.

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

supertigerCH

Perhaps these designs would work for Scanner wings (if they ever became reality)...

1.  Same as the "Pilot" and "Observer" wings... with only a triangle in the center circle (no letter "O", and no propeller).

2.  Same as the "Pilot" and "Observer" wings... with the triangle, and the letters "CAP" superimposed over the triangle.

Just ideas.  If such a thing ever happens... then whatever CAP chooses members wear.

James Shaw

I think the current style wings without the prop would be a good alternative as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

arajca

If you check back earlier in this discussion, I noted I had already submitted such a thing. Whether anything comes of it is anyone's guess. Mayhap Ned would know if it made it to the Uniform Committee - and would be willing share that tidbit - even if they haven't acted on it.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: arajca on June 13, 2012, 05:39:07 PM
If you check back earlier in this discussion, I noted I had already submitted such a thing. Whether anything comes of it is anyone's guess. Mayhap Ned would know if it made it to the Uniform Committee - and would be willing share that tidbit - even if they haven't acted on it.

I thought that the Uniform Committee had kiboshed anything to do with uniforms for the foreseeable future.

I've had proposals on paper since after the CSU was killed but I haven't submitted them because it wouldn't do any bloody good since there was a moratorium on uniforms in general.

I still have the proposals...but the cynical side of me says it won't mean anything because it's not making everything grey. :-X
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

bflynn

I'm neutral to slightly positive about having a single design of aircrew wings that covers all crew positions.

I really don't like half wings...it's like saying a crew member is only half as important as the pilot.  And I agree, APs are the hardest working member of a photography mission...

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: bflynn on June 13, 2012, 07:45:24 PM
I'm neutral to slightly positive about having a single design of aircrew wings that covers all crew positions.

I really don't like half wings...it's like saying a crew member is only half as important as the pilot.  And I agree, APs are the hardest working member of a photography mission...

Our allies do quite well with them...

Australian Army Aviation badges

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RiverAux

I'm sorry, but the half-wings look idiotic.

a2capt

They do, I'm sorry, history or such, whatever. But I've always thought they look just plain idiotic.

flyboy53

Quote from: a2capt on June 13, 2012, 11:33:33 PM
They do, I'm sorry, history or such, whatever. But I've always thought they look just plain idiotic.

Yes, but there is a historical precedence for such a wing not only in CAP, but also the Army and the Navy. Observers, both aircraft and balloon wore half-wings....as did WW II CAP observers and those who earned the CAP Stewardess Badge.

My own thought on the matter is that CAP should adopt an aircrew badge (half wing, full wing or whatever) just because we are accumulating so many ES ratings now that require flying in one capacity or an other while not requiring people to be observers....especially since our counterparts in the Coast Guard Auxiliary are already at that stage.

I don't understand why it is so hard to promote that idea with the NB and NEC. I would think they might embrace it as an incentive to achieve that rating...especially since they came up with two different solo wings for cadets and senior members....and yes, I have known of senior members who have earned solo badges.

RiverAux

Quote from: flyboy1 on June 14, 2012, 10:36:37 AM
Yes, but there is a historical precedence for such a wing not only in CAP, but also the Army and the Navy. Observers, both aircraft and balloon wore half-wings....as did WW II CAP observers and those who earned the CAP Stewardess Badge.
Some things are best left in the dustbin of history.

Major Lord

I would wear a half wing, but only if it was a Right Wing! Still waiting for CAP to issue the Chairborne Ranger Wings.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Hawk200

I'd wear a half wing if I qualified. Besides, some may look at it as a reason to continue their advancement.

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 14, 2012, 06:22:43 PM
I'd wear a half wing if I qualified. Besides, some may look at it as a reason to continue their advancement.
That could be said for not awarding wings at all to scanners.

IMHO...if we are going to consider MS a full position for aircrew then we should just issue the observer wings at that point.

Change the title of the wings to CAP Air Crew and then press on.

Note....some changes to the reg would need to be made to allow for award of senior and master wings.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyboy53

Quote from: lordmonar on June 14, 2012, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 14, 2012, 06:22:43 PM
That could be said for not awarding wings at all to scanners.

IMHO...if we are going to consider MS a full position for aircrew then we should just issue the observer wings at that point.

Change the title of the wings to CAP Air Crew and then press on.

Note....some changes to the reg would need to be made to allow for award of senior and master wings.

Agree.

The thing is that the primary duty of an observer is still being a scanner, so why not do just that and sort out whose up front at the mission base.

EMT-83

flyboy53

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 15, 2012, 01:35:37 AM
Huh?

And quote this again from the CAP Mission Aircrew Reference Text:

"The Mission Observer is a scanner with expanded duties who usually sits in
the right front seat. In addition to the primary duty of scanning while in the search
area, the observer assists the pilot with planning, navigation, and communication.
The observer may also server as mission commander, ensuring that all mission
objectives are met."

Or how about this from the NHQ ES training slides:

Primary Responsibility during searches: Visual Search
Report for briefings
Assist in planning – may be mission commander
Check necessary equipment aboard (checklists)
Assist in avoiding obstacles during taxiing
Assist in setting up and operating radios
Assist in setting up and operating nav equipment
Maintain situational awareness
Assist in monitoring fuel status

Was I the only one paying attention in class?

EMT-83

It's the "expanded duties" that make it more than a coin toss on who sits in the back seat.