If the Air Force has switched to ABUs, why does CAP still need blue name tapes?

Started by supertigerCH, April 08, 2012, 11:14:26 PM

SarDragon

One thing to note about NWU Type II and Type III:

NWU Type II and Type III are organizational clothing and will be issued by authorized commands or units to Sailors. The uniforms will remain the property of the issuing command.

This means that ONLY those folks who need them for their billet will get them. They will not be general issue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

supertigerCH

So... the earlier question seems to remain...

If the various branches of the military (the Air Force in particular) have stopped using the BDU, except for in very rare, uncommon situations (and the reason behind UMB name tapes is to make CAP look different/distinctive)...  are the blue name tapes still necessary?

SarDragon

Quote from: supertigerCH on April 14, 2012, 12:38:44 AM

So... the earlier question seems to remain...

If the various branches of the military (the Air Force in particular) have stopped using the BDU, except for in very rare, uncommon situations (and the reason behind UMB name tapes is to make CAP look different/distinctive)...  are the blue name tapes still necessary?

If the Air Force sez they is, then they is.   ;) >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

niferous

Who cares? How would switching to green name tapes help us do our job any better?
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

titanII

Quote from: niferous on April 14, 2012, 01:31:00 PM
Who cares? How would switching to green name tapes help us do our job any better?
+1
Sure, green name tapes with dark blue lettering would look better. But it's really not a huge deal. The Ultramarine Blue tapes really don't look all that bad. (OPINION) Honestly, they're less than 1/10th of the uniform. You don't even see them from most angles.
Just be happy it's Ultramarine Blue, and not hot pink.
No longer active on CAP talk

davidsinn

Quote from: titanII on April 14, 2012, 02:51:52 PM
The Ultramarine Blue tapes really don't look all that bad. (OPINION)

You clearly don't wear the BBDU like I do. It looks horrible on that uniform. Dark blue tapes with white lettering would look great on that uniform and match the BDU and later the ABU fairly well. I wish they would do that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

titanII

Quote from: davidsinn on April 14, 2012, 02:58:33 PM
Quote from: titanII on April 14, 2012, 02:51:52 PM
The Ultramarine Blue tapes really don't look all that bad. (OPINION)

You clearly don't wear the BBDU like I do. It looks horrible on that uniform. Dark blue tapes with white lettering would look great on that uniform and match the BDU and later the ABU fairly well. I wish they would do that.
No, I don't wear the BBDU, but I have seen it before. Again, I don't really think they look all that bad. But of course, that's just one cadet's opinion. So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Sir.
Don't get me wrong, I would definitely rather have green/brown, or at least dark blue tapes. But I don't think it's that much of a pressing issue.
No longer active on CAP talk

supertigerCH

Yes... I think we all agree on that point.  The color of our name tapes is not a "mission critical" ("pressing") issue.  The type of people that make good CAP members will do their job well regardless of what uniform they're wearing (even if it's bright orange with maroon poka-dots).

That is kind of a different question though.  Here we are just sharing ideas... about the continued wearing of UMB nametapes.  It's true we have branched off a bit... into which colors would look good if UMB was replaced.

Like all threads in CAPtalk... this is just for the sake of discussion and sharing ideas.  :)

Hope nobody on any side gets too worked up.  It's cool to hear lots of different opinions.  I think sometimes that is when we come across our best ideas.

A group like CAP is built around the idea of "command decisions" (which is appropriate for the work we do).  However, it's helpful to get an idea of what the membership thinks sometimes.  Still... you can't please everyone.

Major Carrales

I have no problem with Ultramarine name tapes because they are traditionally CAP.  Wearing any other color "just because it would look cool" would not really be a reason I would tend to support.  Plus, my other main take on uniform items (the casual wasting of member funds) would also lose me on the idea.

The amount of money to replace everyone's name tapes "on a whim" would equate in maybe over 100,000 dollars of member money.  Just have them send the 2 or 3 dollars into and we can have another aircraft. ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

arajca

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 14, 2012, 05:11:14 PM
I have no problem with Ultramarine name tapes because they are traditionally CAP.  Wearing any other color "just because it would look cool" would not really be a reason I would tend to support.  Plus, my other main take on uniform items (the casual wasting of member funds) would also lose me on the idea.

The amount of money to replace everyone's name tapes "on a whim" would equate in maybe over 100,000 dollars of member money.  Just have them send the 2 or 3 dollars into and we can have another aircraft. ;)
Build in an appropriate phase in period and that's not a not an issue. When members get a new bdu/bbdu, they generally get new tapes as well. I've seen a couple folks attempt to reuse old tapes that have been old bdus for 4-5 years. It's not pretty or kinda-sorta-semi-professional looking. The next time, they had new tapes. No one told them to get new ones, they realized how crappy the used tapes looked compared to non-reused tapes. Fortunately, my unit has sufficient funding that the unit will by tapes and give the member only the number they need, typically, we buy a set of three and give the member one for their (usually) one bdu blouse and one for their field jacket. The unit keeps the third. We keep several Civil Air Patrol tapes on hand.

SARDOC

Quote from: shlebz on April 13, 2012, 03:03:43 AM
Quote from: SARDOC on April 09, 2012, 01:35:22 AM
Quote from: supertigerCH on April 09, 2012, 01:25:08 AM
Come to think of it... you're right about the Coast Guard security units.

Didn't the Navy recently change its camo pattern and colors recently (along with a lot of their other uniforms)?  I might be wrong about the details of that.

The Navy in General did...except for what are typically seen as Ground Combat Units...Including Seabee's and some Special Warfare types...because the Blue/Gray camo of the NWU really stinks in the woods.

The navy actually phased out the BDUs to the best of my knowledge. They are now wearing the NWU. It's a green digi camo uniform.

They are still trying out the new camo for "expeditionary" units...but it's only a handful of selected units...are a general most are still wearing the BDU's should be making the switch if officially approved in the next 2 years after a full phase in

supertigerCH

Some people might find my opinion unusual, however it wouldn't bother me too much... if we never moved to the ABU.  As long as the uniform we are wearing looks as sharp and professional as possible.

ColonelJack

Speaking of the NWU ... and definitely not wanting to offend any Navy types here ... I have a question.

What in the world does the Navy need a camouflage-style uniform for, anyway?  (I'm not referring to SEALS or Seabees or anyone who does that kind of work.  I'm talking about the regular jobs on board a ship.)  What's the purpose of a camouflage uniform on board a ship?

Enquiring minds and all that ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

davidsinn

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 16, 2012, 01:56:40 AM
Speaking of the NWU ... and definitely not wanting to offend any Navy types here ... I have a question.

What in the world does the Navy need a camouflage-style uniform for, anyway?  (I'm not referring to SEALS or Seabees or anyone who does that kind of work.  I'm talking about the regular jobs on board a ship.)  What's the purpose of a camouflage uniform on board a ship?

Jack

I've been told by a PO1 that it doesn't show oil and grease stains hardly at all.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SARDOC

What in the world does the Navy need a camouflage-style uniform for, anyway? ... What's the purpose of a camouflage uniform on board a ship?

It hides paint stains, oil stains and other dirt in general.  Other than that...no real purpose.  I think it's just a publicity thing because all of the other services were doing it.  Which is a dumb reason.  The utility uniform should be designed for it's intended purpose.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Jack

Not sure, sir...but we're not the only ones who want our seagoing fighters to have cammies.

Royal Australian Navy Disruptive Pattern Naval Uniform.

Pretty, eh?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

Quote from: CyBorg on April 16, 2012, 02:46:40 AM

Jack

Not sure, sir...but we're not the only ones who want our seagoing fighters to have cammies.

Pretty, eh?

Yes, but these cammies are shades of gray that might actually confuse anyone targeting a person on a usually gray naval vessel.  Green woodland type patterns would seem to have the opposite effect.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Quote from: SARDOC on April 16, 2012, 02:15:33 AM
What in the world does the Navy need a camouflage-style uniform for, anyway? ... What's the purpose of a camouflage uniform on board a ship?

It hides paint stains, oil stains and other dirt in general.  Other than that...no real purpose.  I think it's just a publicity thing because all of the other services were doing it.  Which is a dumb reason.  The utility uniform should be designed for it's intended purpose.

As someone who wore the older Navy working uniforms for 20+ years, I would have welcomed something like the NWU in my day. I can't recall how many times a single contact with nasty stuff (heavy grease or dirty oil) ruined a uniform for any sort of wear other than around more nasty stuff (not very frequent in my particular job), regardless of its age. Ships are dirty. Sometimes the nasty dirt is unavoidable, or you are the victim of someone else's mistake.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 16, 2012, 02:51:43 AM

Jack

Pretty, eh?

Yes, but these cammies are shades of gray that might actually confuse anyone targeting a person on a usually gray naval vessel.  Green woodland type patterns would seem to have the opposite effect.

And who is wearing green woodland type patterns on shipboard? The NWU is shades of blue and grey.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on April 16, 2012, 03:07:14 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 16, 2012, 02:51:43 AM

Jack

How should I know...I'm just making the point.

Pretty, eh?

And who is wearing green woodland type patterns on shipboard? The NWU is shades of blue and grey.

How should I know...I'm just making the point.

Commander
SWR-TX-454