If the Air Force has switched to ABUs, why does CAP still need blue name tapes?

Started by supertigerCH, April 08, 2012, 11:14:26 PM

supertigerCH

We all understand that CAP has "frozen" uniform changes for a while.  There are many good reasons for this... and the organization is trying to lay out a good direction for uniforms in the future.

However...  even keeping that in mind... it does not appear that CAP needs the blue name tapes anymore (that they have used for so many years...  since decades ago when the Air Force even wore them).

For many years the reason was... that it was another way for CAP members to look "different" (and therefore to distinguish them from Active and Reserve Air Force members).

There is good reason to be able to tell us apart... since our mission is a very particular one.  There's no reason to create confusion... since all the vast majority of CAP members are not military in any way.

Having said all of this...  now that the Air Force (and all other branches of the military) have stopped wearing BDUs, it does not seem that blue name tapes are needed anymore.  Just the wearing of the BDU uniform (along with different badges/patches) will make CAP stand out.  (All my opinion of course)

Yes... the word is that CAP will eventually move to the ABU.  However how many years down the road is that?  Whenever CAP does move to ABUs... we would be probably just be able to use the DARK blue name tapes with the uniform... since the other blue that we wear on that uniform (rank chevrons, etc. is dark blue).

Buying just the dark blue name tapes & cloth rank... would not only match the thread that is used... in the lettering on Air Force uniforms (and ABU rank).  It would also give us just ONE color name tapes, CAP tapes, and cloth rank to buy....  for the blue flight suit, blue field uniform, and BDU/ABU.

Sound like an okay idea to anyone?  Why have us all spend more money... to buy 2 types of cloth rank & name tapes?  This just seems an easier and more "streamlined" way to do CAP uniforms.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

FYI the AF has not switched to the ACU it's ABU.  Also I am curious as to know where you got your data on the vast majority of the members (cadets not included) not being military? 

Proudusamember

First we would be getting ABU's (Airman Battle Uniform) not ACU's (Army Combat Uniform). Second most people either wear the BDU's unless they don't fit the requirements or they just want the BBDU's. What your saying does make since but remember how long it takes to change uniform items with cap. if that ever did go through it would wait till we get ABU's and when the new 39-1 comes it, if it does. If you didn't know, the national board this summer should be making its formal request to change to the ABU's do to the now limited quantity of BDU's being made since there now used anymore except by us. 
Grayson Grantham, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Communications Officer
Seacoast Composite Squadron

"I am a Blue Beret"
Support Search & Rescue, GET LOST!

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 08, 2012, 11:25:25 PM
FYI the AF has not switched to the ACU it's ABU.  Also I am curious as to know where you got your data on the vast majority of the members (cadets not included) not being military? 

The Air Force wears ABU, not ACU. But bigger than any tiny mixup, people get it wrong all the time.

I don't think that adding a uniform change would help anything. We are already in a different uniform that just might be going away in a few years anyways. Stick with what we have and wait for the word to swap to ABU, if and when it happens. I would be proud of the uniform for now, it really does look good once you get used to wearing it. And the blue name tapes are a bit of tradition by now. But I would be happy changing them when we start wearing the ABU.

And welcome to CAPTalk.

supertigerCH

Yes... I have committed the terrible type-O that that is guaranteed to get the thread all sorts of negative comments.  Typing ACU instead of ABU.  Hopefully people will still read this thread seriously.

Anyone know how to modify the name of a thread?  Moderators... are you able to do your magic, and help me out here?

Also very true about the the long time it takes for CAP uniform changes.

Just sharing some thoughts.  :)

AngelWings

I'd rather get the whole uniform, with the real ABU nametapes, than move/stay the same to a solid color tape. We are going to have more patches on the ABU inevitably, patches the USAF doesn't have, so distinguishing us shouldn't be hard at all. If we had the Army Combat uniform (ACU), there would be no question, we'd switch to the current ACU tapes because the blue ones don't have velcro. Another thing is that I think we should upgrade to ABU collar insignia for the cadet officers/seniors, and try to revamp the enlisted cadet insignia to match the color scheme of the ABU. We're do for a new design from what I've heard, we've been using the same/similar pins since the 70's.

BUT-

We should keep the BDU's the same, and revamp when we get the ABU's. No sense augmenting change for a uniform on its way out.

Proudusamember

The Air Force would never let us get ABU name and CAP tapes or most likely anything thats subdued
Grayson Grantham, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Communications Officer
Seacoast Composite Squadron

"I am a Blue Beret"
Support Search & Rescue, GET LOST!

abdsp51

Nothing wrong with the pins and having something that has been around for awhile can be good for us as far as the C/Officer insignia. 

And more patches for the uniform would be a great way of standing out however it is something that AF would have to approve, and there has and still is an uproar over not allowing at the min unit patches on the ABU. 

Now I think that we should be able to go with the ABU background and White thread for name and CAP tapes. 

manfredvonrichthofen

supertigerCH

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AngelWings

Quote from: Proudusamember on April 08, 2012, 11:42:42 PM
The Air Force would never let us get ABU name and CAP tapes or most likely anything thats subdued
We'll look better if we are closer in design to the USAF. Think of it this way, you have two people in the same buisness at the same office. One of them wears a suit to his office cubicle, and the other wears saggy jeans, a backwards hat, sweatshirts, and jordans in the other office cubicle. When the suit wearer looks at ghettokid over in his cubicle, they immeditaly look down on them. Now, ghettokid really is an awesome person, an overachiever, and well educated, but just likes to be comfortable. He really wants a suit, but is too afraid to ask his boss for a raise to be able to afford one (his money goes towards paying bills, buying equipment for his job, and for many more things that are positive).

We are the ghettokid here in my problem. We just need to swallow our pride and fears of rejection and be like "Ma Blue, can we move up in the world and get some nicer ABU stuff, and be allowed to look a little closer to you?"

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 08, 2012, 11:54:24 PM
Nothing wrong with the pins and having something that has been around for awhile can be good for us as far as the C/Officer insignia. 

And more patches for the uniform would be a great way of standing out however it is something that AF would have to approve, and there has and still is an uproar over not allowing at the min unit patches on the ABU. 

Now I think that we should be able to go with the ABU background and White thread for name and CAP tapes. 

I'd just like to move on from being like a decorated christmas tree.

manfredvonrichthofen

The way to fix your ghetto kid issue is to wear the uniform correctly and iron it and shine your boots

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 09, 2012, 12:17:48 AM
The way to fix your ghetto kid issue is to wear the uniform correctly and iron it and shine your boots
All of which I do. The problem was intended to show we are in different clothes and appear different for it, and not different in a positive way, either.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Littleguy on April 09, 2012, 12:15:37 AM
Quote from: Proudusamember on April 08, 2012, 11:42:42 PM
We'll look better if we are closer in design to the USAF. Think of it this way, you have two people in the same buisness at the same office. One of them wears a suit to his office cubicle, and the other wears saggy jeans, a backwards hat, sweatshirts, and jordans in the other office cubicle. When the suit wearer looks at ghettokid over in his cubicle, they immeditaly look down on them. Now, ghettokid really is an awesome person, an overachiever, and well educated, but just likes to be comfortable. He really wants a suit, but is too afraid to ask his boss for a raise to be able to afford one (his money goes towards paying bills, buying equipment for his job, and for many more things that are positive).

We are the ghettokid here in my problem. We just need to swallow our pride and fears of rejection and be like "Ma Blue, can we move up in the world and get some nicer ABU stuff, and be allowed to look a little closer to you?"

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 08, 2012, 11:54:24 PM

I'd just like to move on from being like a decorated christmas tree.
Sounds like highschool drama: A guy is too afraid of rejection to ask this one chick out. 
guy= CAP
Chick=Ma blue
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AngelWings

supertigerCH

We are definitely a service organization... and our primary focus should always be on that (instead of small uniform issues).

Today my thoughts were more about helping CAP members have one color CAP tape, name tape, and cloth rank for all non-formal uniforms... while also choosing the color that would make the uniform look most professional.

Dark blue seemed to be the best, since we are already using rank... name tapes... and CAP tapes that color for some uniforms.  It also matches a color that the Air Force (our military counterpart) uses on some uniforms.

Good reminder though... we always have to keep that focus in mind.  Forums are just for throwing ideas around.  Service first everyone!!  :)

abdsp51

It's on the agenda for the board meeting for this summer, the worse the AF can say is no. 

And as far as looking like "ghetto kid" if the uniform is maintained properly and to standard or above standard then that is a non issue.  Unfortunately how you dress is one of the biggest things that a person or an organization is based on.  A key reason we(AF) went from the BDU to the ABU was to be able to better asses an individual on their EPR.  And I am not trying to stir a pot or bring the age old argument up of appearance vs performance, but I have had many people in my flights who had that honor guard crisp look to them but didn't do the job and relied on the appearance to get by.

All we have to do is ask the AF to wear the ABU but in doing so we need to have a plan in place for phase what will and will not be allowed to be worn on the uniform, tapes, headgear and cost per set for members to obtain the uniform.