Jackets worn with the CAP distinctive uniform

Started by Grumpy, February 27, 2011, 08:50:14 PM

Grumpy

Our group is headed to Vandenberg AFB for the wing cadet competition and one of our sponsors is asking what jackets can be worn with the gray slacks/golf shirt combination.  I'm having trouble finding the answer in 39-1.  Here's what she wants to wear; is it appropriate?

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_415&products_id=15095

or

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_415&products_id=13948

Thanks

ßτε

CAPM 39-1 Table 4-3, line 9

Those would be allowed with the White Aviator shirt uniform.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Grumpy on February 27, 2011, 08:50:14 PM
Our group is headed to Vandenberg AFB for the wing cadet competition and one of our sponsors is asking what jackets can be worn with the gray slacks/golf shirt combination.  I'm having trouble finding the answer in 39-1.  Here's what she wants to wear; is it appropriate?

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_415&products_id=15095

or

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_415&products_id=13948

Thanks
There is no regulation guidance about what jacket or head gear is mandatory to wear with the white grey uniform.    I would think what you have listed above would be OK, some also wear the black, blue, or green flight jacket.   Remember that CAP wanted to have a uniform that would be least costly to senior members and this is their choice.

Personally, I'm considering buying the black flight jacket BUT would like to put the command patch on it, don't really care about the rank.

Hey, it's been so cold and snowy here in the northeast that when I wear my long sleeve blue golf shirt with grey pants and combat booths, I'm wearing my AF retired knit watch cap (black with bright yellow lettering) (IF a CAP one was available I'd likely buy one) along with a black outer winter multiple pocket coat, which comes to within 2 inches of my knee caps.

I would think that any outer wear should be conservative and not have any advertising or other slogans on it, but again not really addressed.  You can wear the CAP distinctive ball cap with it or a plain blue ball cap.
RM

Grumpy

Thank you, that's good for the aviator shirt.  How about the blue golf shirt/gray slacks or skirt?

I'm afraid to look closer because like the proverbial snake, it'll bite me.  ;D

PHall

There's no outer wear specified for the golfshirt/grey pants/skiry combo.
Something dark and "professional" looking should do. i.e. don't wear your autographed Hooters windbreaker.

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 27, 2011, 09:05:18 PM
There is no regulation guidance about what jacket or head gear is mandatory to wear with the white grey uniform.

Mandatory?  No.  Any civilian outerwear is acceptable.

Prohibited?  Yes.  No military uniform parts may be worn over or with the corporate combinations.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: Grumpy on February 27, 2011, 09:15:40 PM
Thank you, that's good for the aviator shirt.  How about the blue golf shirt/gray slacks or skirt?

I'm afraid to look closer because like the proverbial snake, it'll bite me.  ;D
CAPM 39-1 Table 4-4, line 7

vento

Most members in my squadron wear the black leather A2 with the golf shirt grey pant combo.

Fubar

Quote from: vento on February 28, 2011, 03:59:44 AM
Most members in my squadron wear the black leather A2 with the golf shirt grey pant combo.

I see a lot of folks around here wear the same thing, with the CAP command patch and the name tag off their flight suit. It looks very professional, however isn't this mixing military items with a non-military uniform?

I don't own one, but I'd like to. I just don't want to shell out the cash if it's a no-no.

SarDragon

Quote from: Fubar on February 28, 2011, 05:41:20 AM
Quote from: vento on February 28, 2011, 03:59:44 AM

I see a lot of folks around here wear the same thing, with the CAP command patch and the name tag off their flight suit. It looks very professional, however isn't this mixing military items with a non-military uniform?

I don't own one, but I'd like to. I just don't want to shell out the cash if it's a no-no.

No, because the black jacket is not a military item. It is specifically designated for wear with corporate uniforms. It might be a bit too warm for Grumpy's environment. I seldom wear either of my civilian leather jackets for that reason.

Grump, I suggest the one in billford1's link. Joe, Dee, and Mike all have them. Ask them to see how they like theirs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

Quote from: SarDragon on February 28, 2011, 05:57:32 AMNo, because the black jacket is not a military item.

What about the command patch and name tag off the flight suit (which includes rank) being on the jacket?

SarDragon

Nametags can be worn anywhere. I also have the same attitude about many, but not all, patches. I don't recall any regs forbidding extracurricular wear of patches on non-uniform items.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

Quote from: SarDragon on February 28, 2011, 07:33:49 AM
Nametags can be worn anywhere. I also have the same attitude about many, but not all, patches. I don't recall any regs forbidding extracurricular wear of patches on non-uniform items.

Thanks! I had a squadron "expert" advise me otherwise, but he hasn't had the greatest track record when it comes to uniform wear.

bosshawk

Ah, yes, the three most dangerous words in the CAP language: 
'somebody told me".

I wear the black A-2, with name tag and command patch with the golf shirt and gray slacks all the time.  As for headgear, I usually wear a logo CAP baseball cap or one with my Sq number on it.

As of 2400 tonight, I put all of that stuff in a storage box.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

davedove

Quote from: Fubar on February 28, 2011, 07:26:28 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 28, 2011, 05:57:32 AMNo, because the black jacket is not a military item.

What about the command patch and name tag off the flight suit (which includes rank) being on the jacket?

The black jacket WITH patch and nametag were specifically authorized for wear with corporate uniforms:

a. Black Leather Jacket. Effective 15 March 2006, a black leather jacket with
side entry and patch pockets similar in style to the A-2 jacket was approved for wear by
CAP senior members with the aviator shirt combinations, utility uniform, CAP flight suit
or CAP polo shirt with gray slacks. The CAP Command Patch will be worn on the right
breast with the black leather name patch on the left breast pocket. This jacket may not
be worn with any of the AF-style uniforms. Effective 29 June 2006, the leather name
patch worn on this jacket is changed to a black leather name tag with a brown inset.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

BradM

Is there a leather jacket that can be worn with the AF uniform (minus the service coat)?

The Air Force blue windbreaker with grade epaulettes, you can't wear this with the aviator/gray slacks combo, correct?

Can one wear a black version of this with the grade epaulettes? such as the Navy black windbreaker. If no, then one can wear the Navy windbreaker with no grade epaulettes correct?

BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

SarDragon

While I have no specific references, mixing uniform items with civilian clothing is generally prohibited, unless specifically authorized in the reg. Additionally, combining items from different services is also usually a no-no.

A review of the USN uni reg shows that the windbreaker is for E-1 through E-6, has no epaulets, and is authorized for wear with civilian clothing (without insignia).

So, if you wear that jacket with the CAP corporate uniforms, and someone calls you on it, there will be an impasse - regs don't specifically prohibit it, nor do they specifically allow it.

YMMV. Tempus fugit. Notary sojac.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

1. No leather jackets authorised for the AF uniform for CAP members.

2. AF blue windbreaker not authorised for grey/whites.

3. I don't think this black jacket with grade is authorised for grey/whites.  However, it is authorised for the soon-to-be-toast  >:( CSU (blue/white) with standard grey epaulettes.

4. If you wear the Navy black windbreaker sans insignia, it is indistinguishable from a civilian outergarment WRT 39-1, so, yes, you could wear it in that mode.

Unless cooler heads prevail, the CSU is gone as of 1 January 2012.  Due to that, I would not be surprised to see motions to make the black windbreaker/pullover sweater part of the G/W uniform.

I'd be satisfied with something like this:

It's British RAF issue, with just a shade of blue in it, but not so much so that it would conflict with the grey epaulettes.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

Can we get a better picture of that or a link to a pic?^^^^
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006