Ratings in CAP Aircraft?

Started by MississippiFlyboy, February 12, 2007, 03:49:45 PM

MississippiFlyboy

A while back at a SAREX, a CAP check pilot told me that it is possible to build time that counts towards Instrument and Commercial ratings and have it paid for by CAP.  Was he talking about regular SAREX/Training flying or is this something else?

Is this a nasty CAP rumor or is there some truth to it?  I couldn't find anything in the regs or the knowledge base.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

lordmonar

If you are already a pilot, you can get proficiency flights.  That is....you should be able to schedule the plane to just do some flying.  Check with your squadron flight management guy.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SJFedor

It's kind of indirectly paid for by CAP. I think he was referring to doing things like Maintenance flights, aircraft relocation for SAREXs or missions, or other flights that are paid for by the AF or the corporation. You can log these, and if you flew them under the hood or it ended up being an XC, I guess it could count towads an instrument or commercial rating.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

arajca

Actually, CAP members with a PPL can use CAP aircraft and instructors to earn higher ratings. That being said, you must still pay the hourly rate (which is far less than renting an a/c) and work out a deal with the instructor, since they cannot charge you for their time using CAP aircraft. You cannot use a CAP aircraft with a non-CAP instructor, though.

flynd94

But remember there are restrictions on what ratings you can earn.  Some of them have the stipulation that you are a Mission Pilot.  You have to be a member for 1 yr, then you can recieve training only for your instrument rating.  If you are a Mission Pilot you may use a CAP aircraft for your Comm, CFI, CFII.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Hawk200

Quote from: arajca on February 12, 2007, 05:23:08 PM
Actually, CAP members with a PPL can use CAP aircraft and instructors to earn higher ratings. That being said, you must still pay the hourly rate (which is far less than renting an a/c) and work out a deal with the instructor, since they cannot charge you for their time using CAP aircraft. You cannot use a CAP aircraft with a non-CAP instructor, though.

I may have to look into that.

Eclipse

IANAP but have had to deal with the fallout from misunderstandings on this.

There are some fairly draconian rules from the FAA regarding who and when you log time which is reimbursed by the USAF.

The gist being that only commercial pilots can get "paid" to fly.  YMMV, etc., etc.

This is what caused the issues with some O-Pilots being able to log time a year or so agao.

If anyone has the chapter and verse, I'd love to see it.

"That Others May Zoom"

MississippiFlyboy

AFAIK

All the time you log in CAP aircraft as PIC is loggable and counts.  Anyone have solid proof otherwise??  I've never flown with a CAP Pilot that didn't count his time as loggable whether an AFAM or not.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

Rangersigo

Quote from: Eclipse on February 14, 2007, 04:34:02 PM
IANAP but have had to deal with the fallout from misunderstandings on this.

There are some fairly draconian rules from the FAA regarding who and when you log time which is reimbursed by the USAF.

The gist being that only commercial pilots can get "paid" to fly.  YMMV, etc., etc.

This is what caused the issues with some O-Pilots being able to log time a year or so agao.

If anyone has the chapter and verse, I'd love to see it.

There is a FAR exception in 60-1..  Take a look...

MississippiFlyboy

So I delved into 60-1 and it doesn't say anything about not being able to log time but rather the approved reimbursements for out of pocket expenses incurred by private, commercial and instrument pilots. 
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

Al Sayre

Here is the quick and dirty:

If you are a private pilot, per FAA regs you must pay "not less than the pro rata share" of the cost of the flight, i.e. gas, fuel, rental, etc.

The exception is for Air Force Assigned Missions which the Air Force (or other agency) pays all of the expenses for.

So if you fly a corporate mission that doesnt have an A or B mission symbol, you must "pay not less than the pro rata share" of the expenses OR not log the time since you would be in violation of the FAR's and/or the exemption. 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787