Does CAP Have Military Family SUpport?

Started by 2ltAlexD, June 01, 2009, 12:26:29 AM

2ltAlexD

Hi there everyone. My Dad is in the National GUard and will be deploying soon. Does CAP have family readiness groups or family support? I'm looking for support while my Dad is gone. I'm so proud of him. I am visually impaired, but if I could see, I would serve like him. This is why I am in CAP even though I am in a squadron outside of my state. I really miss CAP. See, my squadron is in Iowa and I am in a totally different state because my former squadron didn't know how to work with members with special needs. Do you guys have any advice? Thanks!
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

JohnKachenmeister

CAP becomes your surrogate family.  Trust me.

And pass my thanks off to your dad for his service.
Another former CAP officer

DBlair

I believe many National Guard and Reserve units have people (I believe they are called family readiness or family support staff) who stay behind and help to coordinate things with the families in order to make it easier. Sometimes they may have family events so that people can gather and not feel so alone, and also they usually offer counseling and legal support for whatever you may need. I would check with his unit if they have anything such as this.

As for your CAP situation, I agree that CAP members will become sort of a surrogate family in that we tend to get pretty close and support each other. I have a question about your involvement- you mentioned that your unit is in another state and I was wondering how/if you are able to stay involved with a unit. Are you active, or are you just a member on paper? (not picking on you, just curious, because I would think this would be somewhat difficult)

A good friend of mine is blind, and so she often tells me of the problems she has regarding her disability- especially regarding her constant issues with school accommodations and so forth. So, I can understand that sometimes things are pretty difficult, but with CAP I'm not sure of any areas (other than the obvious) where you couldn't participate.

Other than things like flying and other things where vision would be a necessity, I'm not sure why you can't be a member of a closer unit. If there were issues, perhaps a discussion with them to figure out how you can be involved as an integral part of the unit- this way you can be more active instead of going to another state for a CAP event. I'd suggest speaking with the Commander to see where you'd fit in and what you'd like to do, and how this can be possible in spite of a disability. Otherwise, I don't know how it is possible to truly be involved if your unit is in another state.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

2ltAlexD

Hi there! Well, my unit had sort of driven me away by not letting me participate, so I just do computer stuff for my current unnit. I fly down when I can to be with them, but its sure not the same.
Quote from: DBlair on June 01, 2009, 01:24:35 AM
I believe many National Guard and Reserve units have people (I believe they are called family readiness or family support staff) who stay behind and help to coordinate things with the families in order to make it easier. Sometimes they may have family events so that people can gather and not feel so alone, and also they usually offer counseling and legal support for whatever you may need. I would check with his unit if they have anything such as this.

As for your CAP situation, I agree that CAP members will become sort of a surrogate family in that we tend to get pretty close and support each other. I have a question about your involvement- you mentioned that your unit is in another state and I was wondering how/if you are able to stay involved with a unit. Are you active, or are you just a member on paper? (not picking on you, just curious, because I would think this would be somewhat difficult)

A good friend of mine is blind, and so she often tells me of the problems she has regarding her disability- especially regarding her constant issues with school accommodations and so forth. So, I can understand that sometimes things are pretty difficult, but with CAP I'm not sure of any areas (other than the obvious) where you couldn't participate.

Other than things like flying and other things where vision would be a necessity, I'm not sure why you can't be a member of a closer unit. If there were issues, perhaps a discussion with them to figure out how you can be involved as an integral part of the unit- this way you can be more active instead of going to another state for a CAP event. I'd suggest speaking with the Commander to see where you'd fit in and what you'd like to do, and how this can be possible in spite of a disability. Otherwise, I don't know how it is possible to truly be involved if your unit is in another state.

DBlair

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on June 01, 2009, 01:31:23 AM
Hi there! Well, my unit had sort of driven me away by not letting me participate, so I just do computer stuff for my current unnit. I fly down when I can to be with them, but its sure not the same.
Quote from: DBlair on June 01, 2009, 01:24:35 AM

There are areas where they will not let you participate such as many ES and Flight-related positions, but that doesn't mean that you can't participate in other areas of the unit. You may have felt that the closer unit was pushing you away by not letting you participate, but you need to sit down with them and figure out where you can participate. So, I urge you not to feel pushed away, but rather to give that closer unit another chance- meet with them and try to figure out how you can get involved. I know of several disabled members who were/are quite active in CAP, and while sometimes it may have been a challenge, they were indeed active and quite valuable to the organization.

Cecil DP

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on June 01, 2009, 12:26:29 AM
Hi there everyone. My Dad is in the National GUard and will be deploying soon. Does CAP have family readiness groups or family support? I'm looking for support while my Dad is gone. I'm so proud of him. I am visually impaired, but if I could see, I would serve like him. This is why I am in CAP even though I am in a squadron outside of my state. I really miss CAP. See, my squadron is in Iowa and I am in a totally different state because my former squadron didn't know how to work with members with special needs. Do you guys have any advice? Thanks!

All National Guard have a Statewide Family Support organization. When it gets closer to your dad's deployment there will be a series of briefing for all soldiers and family members to ensure that any needs and problems are known. During those briefing you will get dependent ID cards, be enrolled in a medical program, and told what benefits are available to the family. Usually they will set up a family support group (FSG) just for that unit at the same time.  The FSG will meet regularly, send out newsletters, and generally maintain communications between members and the organization. If there are any problems they are there to help or refer you to someone who can.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

2ltAlexD

Well, the only problem is that I live out of state from my family, so its much harder.

Quote from: Cecil DP on June 01, 2009, 01:58:03 PM
Quote from: 2ltAlexD on June 01, 2009, 12:26:29 AM

All National Guard have a Statewide Family Support organization. When it gets closer to your dad's deployment there will be a series of briefing for all soldiers and family members to ensure that any needs and problems are known. During those briefing you will get dependent ID cards, be enrolled in a medical program, and told what benefits are available to the family. Usually they will set up a family support group (FSG) just for that unit at the same time.  The FSG will meet regularly, send out newsletters, and generally maintain communications between members and the organization. If there are any problems they are there to help or refer you to someone who can.

TC

My son has deployed 4 times with the 101st Airborne.  I believe based on this experience and with some friends who were with the Guard that during the briefing with his chain of command, FRG information will be forthcoming.  Also, he will register who the FRG should communicate with so that the information on the unit can flow well.  During my sons first deployment in 2002 things did not quite work well but they seem to have worked most of the bugs out of it.  However, remember that the FRG leaders are typically the CO wives and they are basically volunteers.  Your experience will only be as good their ability to step up and communicate.

Capt Rivera

Hello Alex,

From your profile I see that you are a officer. I was wondering how exactly you attempted/wanted to participate that the squadron failed to support you in.

(Please list what you wanted to do so that as a group we can consider any short comings that the squadron may or may not have had.)

Did you have an adult with you willing to assist in those endeavors?

- If any of those endeavors involved cadets, that person probably needs to be a CAP member having gone threw a background check.
* Was this the case?

Most work that adult members do is administrative on a normal squadron meeting night. Other things that are done are usually training related. (Either training someone or being trained)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

2ltAlexD

Hi there. After last year's encampment, I felt very unwelcome. They put me with a Cadet in encampment, when they should have had a senior member assist me, and when encampment was over, I had another senior member tell me not to come to anymore meetings. When I did go to meetings, I just sat down all of the time and was not allowed to participate in anything. Now I do admin stuff for my current squadron, but once I pass my PSI for the CG Aux, I'm probably going to give up CAP and just do CG Aux stuff.
Quote from: RiveraJ on June 08, 2009, 05:48:49 PM
Hello Alex,

From your profile I see that you are a officer. I was wondering how exactly you attempted/wanted to participate that the squadron failed to support you in.

(Please list what you wanted to do so that as a group we can consider any short comings that the squadron may or may not have had.)

- If any of those endeavors involved cadets, that person probably needs to be a CAP member having gone threw a background check.
* Was this the case?

Most work that adult members do is administrative on a normal squadron meeting night. Other things that are done are usually training related. (Either training someone or being trained)

Capt Rivera

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on June 08, 2009, 05:53:33 PM
Hi there. After last year's encampment, I felt very unwelcome. They put me with a Cadet in encampment, when they should have had a senior member assist me, and when encampment was over, I had another senior member tell me not to come to anymore meetings. When I did go to meetings, I just sat down all of the time and was not allowed to participate in anything. Now I do admin stuff for my current squadron, but once I pass my PSI for the CG Aux, I'm probably going to give up CAP and just do CG Aux stuff.

Where I don't believe that squadron treated you the way they should have based on what you stated....  I do believe that you should bring an adult with you to the meetings who is willing to become a CAP member.

Although squadrons should attempt to accommodate, CAP is made of volunteers who can not be forced to spend their volunteer time doing something other then desired. IE: I can not assign Officer So&So to be your guide/helper.

Why not?
- I can't/won't force that person if they are not willing
- I can't spare the resource from doing what they were already doing if you want to do something different.

If you have an adult who is willing to join CAP and can pass the background checks I see no reason you can not participate.  Do you have someone who is willing & able to function in this capacity?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

DBlair

Hello Alex,

* Was this the case?

Please elaborate. I'm sure others are probably as confused as I am regarding what happened. There seems to be much more to the story. If we knew more about the details perhaps we could advise you much better.

As for the USCGAux, there aren't any major differences between the duties of a CAP Senior Member and a USCGAux Member or Flotilla Staff Officer. You will experience many of the same operational limitations, and many of the same staff positions and duties, so I'm not sure how the USCGAux is so much better for your situation.

I think explaining things a bit more in detail could shed some light on the situation because you've only mentioned vague things and there seems to be a lot more to the story.

2ltAlexD

No, unfortunately I don't, and I don't think that should keep me from participating! I just want to serve like everyone else!
Quote from: DBlair on June 08, 2009, 06:09:26 PM
Hello Alex,

* Was this the case?

Please elaborate. I'm sure others are probably as confused as I am regarding what happened. There seems to be much more to the story. If we knew more about the details perhaps we could advise you much better.

As for the USCGAux, there aren't any major differences between the duties of a CAP Senior Member and a USCGAux Member or Flotilla Staff Officer. You will experience many of the same operational limitations, and many of the same staff positions and duties, so I'm not sure how the USCGAux is so much better for your situation.

I think explaining things a bit more in detail could shed some light on the situation because you've only mentioned vague things and there seems to be a lot more to the story.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on June 08, 2009, 06:23:35 PM
No, unfortunately I don't, and I don't think that should keep me from participating! I just want to serve like everyone else!

Are there programs that provide assistance with living needs? An argument can be made that Volunteering is one of your specific living needs...
(Living needs are often more then just physical)

Have you posted to a volunteer board to see if there was an adult  in your area who would be interested in volunteering to assist you so that you can serve in XYZ capacity in CAP?

Your post might include some information on your situation, what you wish to have assistance doing and when the meeting nights are. Let them know up front that it is likely they would need to become a member of CAP and pass a FBI background check in order to assist you.

- I have not looked into governing regulation but I imagine that because you and this person might be handling personal information, mission information or working with cadets it would be required for them to be members just like anyone else and subject to all regulations and policies.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

2ltAlexD

I have looked into volunteers but no one has the time to help me in CAP or the interest. I still don't think its fair for people to limit what I can do and require me to have to have someone accompany me to everything in life I want to do! Its not right! How would you guys feel if someone told you you had to have someone with you all the time to participate in something? I think its just plain lazyness in the squadron's part and unwillingness to work with me! I can do just as much as anyone else and don't need a babysitter!

davidsinn

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on June 08, 2009, 06:38:24 PM
I have looked into volunteers but no one has the time to help me in CAP or the interest. I still don't think its fair for people to limit what I can do and require me to have to have someone accompany me to everything in life I want to do! Its not right! How would you guys feel if someone told you you had to have someone with you all the time to participate in something? I think its just plain lazyness in the squadron's part and unwillingness to work with me! I can do just as much as anyone else and don't need a babysitter!

What are your specific needs? It would greatly help to know them so we can have an informed opinion.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

2ltAlexD

I just need someone to lead me when going from place to place. Other than that, I'm pretty well independent. Are you Josh from encampment? I think I know you from last year.

davidsinn

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on June 08, 2009, 07:16:13 PM
I just need someone to lead me when going from place to place. Other than that, I'm pretty well independent. Are you Josh from encampment? I think I know you from last year.

Not Josh. Sounds like the unit isn't making reasonable accommodations. If all you need for example is a guide from the drill pad to the office and back that's not really a burden at all.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

2ltAlexD

Yep, that's why its so frustrating. I'm not asking for that much.

DBlair

Please elaborate on the issues at encampment and your unit. I'm sure others are probably as curious as I am regarding exactly what happened. There seems to be much more to the story. If we knew more about the details perhaps we could advise you much better.

As for the USCGAux, there aren't any major differences between the duties of a CAP Senior Member and a USCGAux Member or Flotilla Staff Officer. You will experience many of the same operational limitations and exclusions, and many of the same staff positions and duties, so I'm not sure how the USCGAux is so much better for your situation. If you think there are differences of how the USCGAux is better for your situation, then please do explain how.

You stated that you just want to get involved, but there are obviously many areas where this will present a problem and where you will not be allowed to participate, regardless of CAP or USCGAux.

Thus, I ask you... what exactly is it that you want to do that you are not being allowed? I'm not trying to discourage you, but rather I am trying to figure out the possible issues so that we can help to guide you in fixing the problem.