President's Volunteer Service Award

Started by 68w20, October 18, 2012, 05:18:33 AM

68w20

I'm looking into getting one of my Cadets the PVSA due to their work as Cadet Commander over the past year and a half.  They're applying to transfer from their community college to a prestigious state school, and having this recognition added to their resume wouldn't hurt.  Here's the pertinent knowledgebase Q/A:

QuoteTo honor your volunteers with the President's Volunteer Service Awards (PVSA) the awards must be ordered through officially registered and approved "Certifying Organizations." Certifying Organizations verify volunteer hours, nominate qualified volunteers, order, pay for and distribute the Awards locally.

Certifying Organizations
A Certifying Organization is an entity that is approved to review and verify a volunteer's hours, and nominate and distribute the President's Volunteer Service Awards (PVSA). COs are oftentimes, local offices, chapters, affiliates, offices, stores, or member organizations that operate under the auspices of a national Leadership Organization (LO).

What Roles Do Certifying Organization Play?
Certifying Organizations agree to perform the following roles:
Verify that the volunteer(s) has completed the number of service hours required to earn a President's Volunteer Service Award.
Nominate verified volunteers by completing and submitting an order form to purchase the award(s).
Pay the nominal cost for the award package and its shipping, either directly or through local sponsorship.
Receive the award package and distribute the award to each recipient.

Who Can Become A Certifying Organization?
Your organization can become a Certifying Organization if it is legally established in the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or one of the U.S. territories. It also must fall into one of the following category types:
Non-profit or community-based organization
Civic, fraternal, or service group
Faith-based institution
Business
School or institution of higher education
National service program
Membership organization
Federal, state, and local government agency

How to Become a Certifying Organization
Simply Apply online to become a Certifying Organization and start honoring your volunteers!

My question is whether CAP is registered as a certifying organization, or do I need to apply at the Unit level?  Does anyone have any experience submitting this award?

spaatzmom

Several years ago, 33 members were awarded this at the then Group 8 banquet in Fl.  The group CC said he had to register as group 8 CAP.  Something about each unit had to register separately as opposed to all of CAP together, because NHQ did not submit the paperwork or track the awards, each unit did.

Pylon

When I was a Group Cadet Programs officer, I signed our Group HQ up as a certifying organization.  Worked well for the handful of awards I put in.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: 68w10 on October 18, 2012, 05:18:33 AMThey're applying to transfer from their community college to a prestigious state school, and having this recognition added to their resume wouldn't hurt.

"Prestigious Award?"

A self-certifying, self-purchased pin based solely on the ability of someone to complete a form and write a check? I can't imagine anyone
would even notice it, let alone care at a college - they know about these things.

Whatever, it's $5, so not exactly a heavy investment, and if it helps, it helps, but if you're looking to reward him in a CAP context, a decoration would
mean more long-term, at least he could wear it.

Any unit can be a certifying agency, as can any individual.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: 68w10 on October 18, 2012, 05:18:33 AMThey're applying to transfer from their community college to a prestigious state school

Eclipse

Quote from: 68w10 on October 18, 2012, 04:19:21 PMThey're applying to transfer from their community college to a prestigious state school

Whoops, RTFM.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

..and prestigious school should know a $5 self-certifying award when they see it. :)

Майор Хаткевич

^+1.

They've seen and researched them all, but if you give him a letter of recommendation that will probably help even more

68w20

Probably true, but I figure it won't hurt to have another bullet point on top of everything else.  If nothing else, it demonstrates that she took the time to submit the paperwork.