Main Menu

Publication Process

Started by 68w20, January 31, 2012, 04:28:23 PM

68w20

What is the process for approval of forms, publications, etc at the NHQ level?  I've been a member for some time and have recently started lurking here and there seems to be a generally held belief that changes to the various publications are few and far between.  Why is the publication process so arduous that we have GT task guides from 2004 and a uniform manual that hasn't been updated since 2005, in spite of the numerous changes to wear of the uniform?  I apologize for the fairly broad topic, but I'm curious and the KB isn't giving me any solid results.

MSG Mac

Forms are changed to conform to the Regs and Manuals. The Regs and Manuals are changed as the National Board or NEC makes changes to them. Often the changes in regs are minor and are covered by an letter (ICL) addendum, until a new Reg or Manual can be published. Keep in mind that National HQ has a relatively small amount of employees, who can't write or rewrite these pubs at the drop of a hat. In many cases the new pubs are written by a committe made up of CAP members who after writing, editing, and final consensus, must still get it approved by the National Board.   
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Chappie

Being well acquianted with the process involved in the publication of the new 221 Chaplain Specialty Track that was released in April of 2011 and the CAPR 265-1 released in October of 2009, it takes a long time to get things through.  In the case of the 221 serves every section in NHQ had to read and approve to make sure that it was in keeping with their pubs (Ops/Professional Development/Personnel-Membership/Emergency Services/Cadet Programs -- of course, legal).  That required rewrites....once it was approved by the various departments, it then had to be approved by the Executive Director and the National Commander before the NEC approved it.  From start to finish the 221 series took 4 years to get through.  Part of that was volunteers were writing/editing (and there were also changes that were taking place within the Chaplain Corps that we needed to wait on before putting it in writing)...and once that was done it was 8 months winding its way through HQ.   The CAPR 265-1 took about 2 years to finalize.  The CAPP 265-4 is still being worked on.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)