My CAP name is now my legal name!

Started by Майор Хаткевич, May 06, 2010, 10:15:13 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Yesterday I became a US Citizen, so my name that is on all my CAP certificates is now my legal name as well!

That solves the issue of having a different name on my Mitchell/Earhart from my IDs, finally. Lol.

PhoenixRisen

Pylon

Congratulations!  What a great day for you, I'm sure!   :clap:
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

MSgt Van

jimmydeanno

Congratulations!  I'm curious about your naturalization process.  What was the reason you decided to become a citizen?  I had a few friends in high-school that were dual-citizen Canadian-American and later decided to return to Canada.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SamFranklin

Congratulations to you! As soon as you turn 18, go register to vote and participate in this government of, by, and for the people.

cachambliss

Congratulations from another naturalized Citizen of this great country. 
You worked for it, you have earned it, It is your duty and obligation as an American By Choice to get involved and VOTE.  Conservative or Liberal, Democrat,  or Republican, or Libertarian, or Independent please do not take your duty and obligation lightly.

BTW I hope your picture on your Certificate of Citizenship looks a whole lot better than mine).

Cliff
Guatemala by Birth, America by Choice.

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Star-Maker

I originally misread the thread title as your CAPTalk name now being your legal name.  :D

Congratulations on your citizenship!
"The star-maker says 'It ain't so bad.'" - The Killers

GTL, GTM1, UDF, MRO

CUL(T), MS(T), MSA(T)

CAP Producer

Congratulations on your citizenship and welcome to the family!
AL PABON, Major, CAP

IceNine

Congrats!

I'm not going to stop with the Russian jokes any time soon though   ;D
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Strick

Awsome.......... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:Congratulations!!!!!!!!!  This is why AMERICA is a great place becuse we all at one point came from some where else.
[darn]atio memoriae

Flying Pig

I dont think that has anything to do with why America is great......

However, Congratulations American.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The United States of America was built on a proud  history of immigrants coming here and becoming Americans.

You are part of that.

Now...as soon as you can, get your newly-naturalized American posterior out there and VOTE!

:) ;) :D ;D 8) :clap:
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 06, 2010, 11:32:50 PM
I had a few friends in high-school that were dual-citizen Canadian-American and later decided to return to Canada.

I live near the border and encounter quite a few dual CanAm's, some by birth, some by parental citizenship, some by naturalization.

As long as they don't formally renounce their Canadian nationality (in writing), they can retain their Canadian citizenship, even though the U.S. Oath of Naturalization requires renunciation of allegiance to a foreign state.

However, I'm not sure how other countries handle the issue.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Lord

Darn illegal-alien Canadians coming down here and stealing all of our good beer-drinking and hockey playing jobs! Ya' hosers!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

Like, take off, man!

To the Great White North!  ... Take off!

It's a beauty way to go!

Congratulations none the less!

DBlair

Congratulations on becoming an American citizen!

...I'm curious, though. CAP let you join under a name other than your actual legal name?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Майор Хаткевич

To answer some questions:

I moved to the US on 19 Dec 01, and was eligible for applying on November 15 2007 (3 months before eligibility, thus at 17 years and 9 months old). The process costs $675, so at 18 I chose not to do it.

The minimum time is 5 years from Green Card to citizen, but apparently anyone under 18 can't take the oath of citizenship, even though at 17 the military service oath is OK *and they are pretty close in wording*.

I'm originally from Latvia (but as IceNine said, I'm a ruski), and they allow people to retain citizenship, thus I have a dual citizenship unless I write to the embassy and tell them to take it away.

There was no specific reason for it, other than, if I live here, I might as well be a citizen, right? The vote card (which you could fill out right there and be registered), is already in the mail, and I plan on voting come November.

My photo on the certificate is horrid...I should have taken one myself and cleaned it up a bit...didn't expect that one to be the one they use...lol.

CAP received a copy of my green card when I applied. The name on the card is Mihails (Russian for Michael, with an 's' added on the end by stupid Latvian grammar rules) Hatkevics, which is a bastardized version of Hatkevich with an 's' on the end, the c having a small 'v' over it in the Latvian alphabet to make it a ch sound.  So instead of being Hatkevich or even Hatkevichs, I was Hatkevics which drove me insane until a few days ago. On the app we put Michael and Hatkevich which sound right. No one said a thing, and my CAPIDs and everything else came out in this fashion.