The CAC. What can it really accomplish.

Started by Eclipse, August 13, 2008, 07:18:58 AM

kpetersen

Well...while we're discussing the issues of the CAC, how do we get squadrons more involved to actually select representatives for the CAC, rather than send none, since its no longer required of them?
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2008, 03:00:29 PMPick your favorite activity, at any level, and just cancel it.  Would any notice?  Probably.  Would it have an impact on anything else, doubtful, which means that activity was not integrated in any meaningful way with the rest of CAP.

Well, my favorite activity is encampment, and canceling that would certainly have an impact on a lot of things.  Most notably the rate of ascension into Phase III.

But I do see your point.  :)

Lancer

Quote from: kpetersen on August 14, 2008, 03:02:04 PM
Well...while we're discussing the issues of the CAC, how do we get squadrons more involved to actually select representatives for the CAC, rather than send none, since its no longer required of them?

Simple, you have to motivate your wing CC and DCP to want to make it happen. If the wing CC say's "I want each unit with cadets to appoint a CAC representative for their squadron, and they must participate actively!" at this point, the squadron CC would have to act to make that request happen. It's not difficult.

It's all about focus and importance. If it's not there, CAC does not exist. I personally believe CAC can be an effective tool for commanders, but it needs to be setup correctly and given attention in order to work properly.

NavLT

Don't believe me?  Pick your favorite activity, at any level, and just cancel it.  Would any notice?  Probably.  Would it have an impact on anything else, doubtful, which means that activity was not integrated in any meaningful way with the rest of CAP.

Just happened last week.  The wing had a SAREX on the calandar with 3 Bases (TBD) with everyone at National Boards......it either happened without anyone knowing it, was canceled without anyone knowing it or the communicatin is so bad they did either and no one knows about it.  Impact probably none.  But the lack of impact just means the mission it was supposed to impact is Blasse to the lack of momentum.  

dwb

Quote from: kpetersen on August 14, 2008, 03:02:04 PMWell...while we're discussing the issues of the CAC, how do we get squadrons more involved to actually select representatives for the CAC, rather than send none, since its no longer required of them?

I live in a Wing that has Groups, so in my case, it would be the Group Commanders that first have to be convinced of the benefit of CAC.  At that point, the Group CCs could have their own process for selecting the representatives.

If it is considered a privilege to be selected as a CAC representative, then at least some highspeed cadets are going to want to participate in it, making the Group CC's job of picking representatives a little easier.

(In a Wing with no Groups, substitute Group CC for Squadron CC)

dwb

Quote from: NavLT on August 14, 2008, 03:21:28 PMThe wing had a SAREX on the calandar with 3 Bases (TBD) with everyone at National Boards......it either happened without anyone knowing it, was canceled without anyone knowing it or the communicatin is so bad they did either and no one knows about it.

I know CNY Group did do some training under that SAREX, but I don't think it was a coordinated Wing-wide effort.  As I recall, the Wing DO basically told the Groups to do their own thing, since the Wing leadership was out of town for the National Conference.

I only happen to know this information by side effect (it came up in an unrelated conversation with the Group CC).

Eclipse

The "privilege" part, for most cadets is the !@#$ cord.  Once its pinned most have no idea why they are even there.

NavLT, what's with the colored text?  Just use the quote button.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lancer

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2008, 03:41:38 PM
The "privilege" part, for most cadets is the !@#$ cord.  Once its pinned most have no idea why they are even there.

Sounds like a failure on the part of the commander of that unit then, don't you agree?

Cadets will never learn unless we teach them and show them the way. That is why we do what we do in CP, right Bob?

Eclipse

Quote from: Lancer on August 14, 2008, 03:46:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2008, 03:41:38 PM

Sounds like a failure on the part of the commander of that unit then, don't you agree?

Cadets will never learn unless we teach them and show them the way. That is why we do what we do in CP, right Bob?

Yes, 100%.

Which doesn't change the reality of the situation.

You can do everything absolutely correctly, teach them what CAC is all about, what is supposed to be for, and how important their role could be, but if they are then participating in a dysfunctional congress, its not going to mean much in the long run.

The CAC is held up as this penultimate coming together of cadets, with participation at the Region or national level being a hallmark of a successful cadets career.

Can anyone name a single thing that has been accomplished at the national level by the CAC in the last 5 years?

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

^How about the recent NEC decision to allow cadet achievements for credit in the senior PD program?  

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on August 14, 2008, 05:00:49 PM
^How about the recent NEC decision to allow cadet achievements for credit in the senior PD program?

Was that a CAC thing? 

If so, I suppose that's "1", though it kind of makes my point about the CAC being involved in the senior program, since this is basically meaningless to the cadet program per-se, as it has no effect on actual cadets until they convert.

I'll grant this particular issue is an overlap exception.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2008, 04:23:34 PM
Can anyone name a single thing that has been accomplished at the national level by the CAC in the last 5 years?

It was longer than 5 years ago, but NCAC proposed the Cadet Sponsor membership category.

I think the changes to the PT test were longer than 5 years ago, too, but it started with NCAC.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

Some things that have come from the CAC [ in the last 10 years]:

1) The run + 2 of 3 rule for CPFT.

2) CAPP 52-19 - Cadet Advisory Council Guide

3) The National Color Guard Competition

4) CAPF 50 (Old one).

However, the success of the CAC can't be measured by the number of agenda items that the national board passes, but how well they advise - which is rather subjective.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

helper

Also, the American flag worn on the BDU.
Mitchell (pre-number) & Earhart (2144)

Eclipse

Quote from: helper on August 15, 2008, 02:02:20 AM
Also, the American flag worn on the BDU. 

That was not a CAC issue, that was a gift from HWSRN.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 14, 2008, 07:33:01 PM
However, the success of the CAC can't be measured by the number of agenda items that the national board passes, but how well they advise - which is rather subjective.

Its also nearly impossible to quantify in the mind of a 15 year old cadet who has to decide if he wants to be involved in a situation where no one can really tell him what he's even supposed to do, or just stay home and update his FaceSpace account.

"That Others May Zoom"

helper

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2008, 02:13:05 AM
That was not a CAC issue, that was a gift from HWSRN.

I was told that it had originated in CAC in my wing. Thanks for correction.

MIKE

Heard a rumor that it came from a cadet in I think DC.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on August 15, 2008, 02:45:29 AM
Herd a rumor that it came from a cadet in I think DC.

The consensus rumor was that it came from HWSRN because of issues with his being confused with members of another country's military.  The original ICL from His Namelessness was issued on 05 DEC 05, less than 3 months after Katrina, with nary a mention of it before then.  This was not put before the NEC or any other body before implementation, instead being sent to the Development Committee after it was enacted, with no mention of CAC or anyone else.

Since I really don't know, I can't argue the point, but if it did come out of the CAC, its more evidence of their being without a mission, because with all the legitimate issues the CP has, if the only thing in the last 5 years they could hang their hat on is a trivial uniform change (that's not even "uniformly" popular, pun intended), that's not much to use to sell all the effort requested by reps.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Okay, so my question is:  Just where are the senior member advisory councils?   

I'm actually about half serious about this.  If it is considered important to have an advisory group like this for cadet issues, why don't we have a similar line of communication for senior members?  After all, there are more seniors in CAP than cadets. 

And, if the seniors can get by without an advisory council, maybe the cadets could as well.

helper

Does anyone have suggestions that a Wing CAC should/could do to improve the situation? Because cadets must give up a Saturday and travel a few hours (more or less), what will motivate them to participate? For example, provide training or an activity. I'd like to share your thoughts with our CAC rep.