Color guard and drill teams

Started by maverik, August 10, 2008, 08:28:21 PM

maverik

well my squadron has a clorguard ,but I have always heard about drill teams so I was wondering what the difference is between a color guard and a drill team? Also what do drill teams do?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

Stolen, as usual, from Wiki...

Color Guard:
In the military of the United States and other militaries, the Color guard carries the National Color and other flags appropriate to its position in the chain of command. Typically these include a unit flag and a departmental flag (Army, Navy, or Air Force). In addition to the flag bearers, who are positioned in the center of the color guard, there are two individuals who carry rifles.

Drill Team:
A drill team is a marching unit that performs military style maneuvers in parades, at air shows, football half-time shows, and other public venues. High school and college drill teams also often compete with one another in drill meets.

Links:
Color Guard:     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_guard
Drill Team:     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_team

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

would there be a certain manaul for drill teams? Or would it just be the color guard one?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

CAPM 52-4 is the NCC manual.

AFMAN 36-2203 is considered the bible of D&C.

In addition 39-1, 52-16, 52-18, 900-2, AFCWI 36-2203, the AE manual, Leadership texts, Foxnews, and the US Vollyball DCR will be needed to compete.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

:o :o :o ??? ???.This has already caused a headache.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Eclipse

Like everything in CAP, especially if you're starting fresh, slow and steady gets it.

Starting a color guard and getting them to march, post, etc., is a good goal.

Trying to jump into a competition-level DT from zero is not a good idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

I'm going to confuse you even more. CAP also has Honor Guards, which are ceremonial units seperate from Color Guards and Drill Teams, each of the three is very different from the others.

Forming a Drill Team, especially for competition, can be difficult. My squadron is plenty large enough to have one and we are having a very difficult time, getting 13 people to commit can be difficult.

Drill Team is less technically demanding than Color Guard, because all you have to know is standard drill moves, but getting 13 people to act in unison is much more difficult than four people in a line, like in Color Guard.

I'm going to echo the advise above, stick to Color Guard, get proficient in that, then maybe start thinking about a Drill Team.

hatentx

you can get online and buy a video of drill competitions.  This will give you a really good idea of what you are looking for.  Also if you have a military base near by ask them.  I know when I was a cadet in JROTC we got the local AF base honor guard to come by and put us the "basic training" when it came to d&c

IceNine

You tube has a few dozen videos of drill teams.

BUT, don't go thinking that the drill team you see there is what we do in CAP.

Drill teams don't use rifles, and outside of the innovative drill portion of the competition everything is standard drill.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Maj Ballard

I'm going to assume that you're asking specifically what drill teams/color guards do in CAP. Here's a rundown.

First of all, there are teams (of both types) that train for the purpose of competition. Those teams should focus on following CAPM 52-4 to the letter to be competitive.

Then, there are teams that train to provide a service to their communities, do recruiting demonstrations, etc. with no goal of competition. Those teams are not bound by the guidelines/rules in 52-4, and have a little more latitude.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume you're asking about competition teams.

Color Guard: Made up of four cadets (two guards and two flag bearers). These cadets train to compete in seven events. The events are:

- Outdoor Practical Drill (raising/lowering the Colors outdoors, flag folding)
- Indoor Practical Drill (presentation at an indoor event such as a banquet, speech, etc.)
- Standard Drill (pre-designated sequence of movements on a drill pad, simulating a parade)
- In-Ranks Inspection (uniforms and color guard equipment)
- Panel Quiz (quiz-bowl style competition on aerospace)
- Written Exam (covers leadership, flag regulations, CAP history, etc.)
- Mile Run

Drill Team: Made up of 13 cadets (twelve members and commander). They compete in:

- Standard Drill (assigned sequence of standard drill movements on a drill pad)
- Innovative Drill (pre-rehearsed creative drill routine, based on drill commands in AFMAN 36-2203)
- In-Ranks Inspection
- Panel Quiz
- Written Exam
- Mile Run
- Volleyball

Does that help?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP