Memory Work

Started by RickFranz, June 02, 2008, 04:04:54 AM

RickFranz

Back in the day when I was a Cadet, we had to memorize a letter by Gen. George Washington about using foul language.  Just wondering if any still knew that one or knew I could get a copy of it?

Thanks
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

_

This one?  A General Order

Quote"The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing, a vice heretofore little known in an American Army, is growing into fashion. He hopes the officers will by example, as well as influence, endeavor to check it, and that both they and the men will reflect, that we can have little hope of the blessings of Heaven on our arms if we insult it by our impiety and folly. Added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense and character detests and despises it.

"G. WASHINGTON."

This order was issued in 1776.

mikeylikey

I never read that before.  Thank you. 
What's up monkeys?

RickFranz

Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

dwb

That's an odd passage to require memorization of.

Or, should I say, "what the [farg]?!?"

MIKE

IMO, the vast majority of Memory Work/Spewage applied to CAP the CP is a waste of training time... plenty of other stuff they should be studying... Like leadership and AE texts, CAPM 39-1, CAPR 52-16 and AFMAN 36-2203.
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 07:57:01 PM
IMO, the vast majority of Memory Work/Spewage applied to CAP the CP is a waste of training time... plenty of other stuff they should be studying... Like leadership and AE texts, CAPM 39-1, CAPR 52-16 and AFMAN 36-2203.

Amen. I am so tired of cadets calling me asking me how to wear an item that is shown in the manual. Or C\NCO's and C\Officers doing drill wrong because "that's the way we did it at encampment."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RickFranz

It is not that I want our Cadets to memorize this, I want to put it in a code of conduct book for then our Cadet's are at Wing Activities and staying in the National Guard facilities.  Just wanted them to know there is some history behind it when we ask them to watch they language.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

MIKE

For a quotation in a handbook for a section on conduct... it would be fine.  IIRC FM 3-21.5 does this, and is quite neat.
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on June 02, 2008, 04:21:28 AM
This one?  A General Order

Memorised that one myself for the 1970 California Wing Encampment.

Not that I'm dating myself or anything...

RickFranz

Quote from: PHall on June 03, 2008, 02:16:06 AM
Memorised that one myself for the 1970 California Wing Encampment.

Not that I'm dating myself or anything...

I guess that's where I got it.  I went to the Calif Wing Encampment in 1968.  Wow that sure does seem like a long time ago.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

RickFranz

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2008, 11:31:01 PM
For a quotation in a handbook for a section conduct... it would be fine.  IIRC FM 3-21.5 does this, and is quite neat.

I am not familiar with that FM, where in the FM would the section be found? 
Thanks
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

MIKE

Here.  They are D&C quotes though.
Mike Johnston

IceNine

Quote from: davidsinn on June 02, 2008, 08:28:24 PM

Amen. I am so tired of cadets calling me asking me how to wear an item that is shown in the manual. Or C\NCO's and C\Officers doing drill wrong because "that's the way we did it at encampment."

Look from the other side, how many times do we who claim to be well versed have to ask questions and discuss the interpretation of a r,m,p etc. 

When I was DCC at the unit level I taught the basics how to use the the regs, how to figure out which reg they needed, and ran a practical class by having them find answers to FAQ's which obviously served 2 purposes. We had already answered some of the most common questions and they proved that they know how to find information.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Fifinella

Quote from: dwb on June 02, 2008, 07:12:04 PM
That's an odd passage to require memorization of.

Or, should I say, "what the [farg]?!?"
Well, at least if they go on to the Air Force Academy they'll already have one thing memorized ahead of time...'cause it's required memorization there.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Duke Dillio

I had to memorize that WIWAC...

I still swear like a crusty sailor though......

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on June 04, 2008, 02:38:58 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 02, 2008, 08:28:24 PM

Look from the other side, how many times do we who claim to be well versed have to ask questions and discuss the interpretation of a r,m,p etc. 
A question of interpretation is fine. Not bothering to look at all is what bugs me to no end. I keep trying to drill into their heads to RTFM but it's not sticking.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JoeTomasone

Quote from: davidsinn on June 04, 2008, 06:14:03 PM

A question of interpretation is fine. Not bothering to look at all is what bugs me to no end. I keep trying to drill into their heads to RTFM but it's not sticking.

What we need is a CAPP 151/CAPM 39-1 X-Box & Wii game. 

Johnny Yuma

This brings back all the repressed memories of my first encampment. This was one of several pieces of memory work they though we were going to memorize. Didn't happen.

McConnell AFB 1988 -The example of how NOT to run an encampment.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

mmizner

I like the idea of publishing this for your cadets.  It shows them that from the beginning there were standards and expatiation's of officers from the highest levels.

I would hate to have to memorize it, but I thing this would be a great addition to a leadership course.
-Mike

www.nvwgcadets.org

Dad2-4

I have a long run-on sentence about profanity that i wrote and had made into a poster on my classroom wall. When a student cusses, he/she has to stand, read the sign aloud, and apologize to the class. Since I teach history I may use this instead. The kids start catching themselves in mid "what the he......." because they don't want to read "the sign".

stratoflyer

Memorizing things are important--in math, there are a bunch of steps and formulas needed to be memorized. In aircraft, emergency procedures must be memorized. So developing a technique to memorize things is good training. Do I think this particular work has a place among cadets--perhaps not  as a strict manner. But uniform wear instructions surely must be memorized.

I always say that an attention to detail on a uniform translates to an attention to detail in other aspects--you get used to looking at the small things. Great for preflight inspection.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

PHall

Learning how to memorise stuff for CAP came in real handy when I started flying for the Air Force.

MIKE

Memorizing stuff that has a legitimate and practical application to the CP is good... Making a cadet memorize boldface for the F-16C, not so much.
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on July 19, 2008, 03:00:15 AM
Memorizing stuff that has a legitimate and practical application to the CP is good... Making a cadet memorize boldface for the F-16C, not so much.

BOLD FACE for an F-16C? That's easy!  Ejection Handle - PULL >:D