Main Menu

CAC Ribbon question

Started by Castle Bravo, June 03, 2018, 06:59:13 PM

Castle Bravo

I had heard that the CAC ribbon was somthing that could only be worn permanently if it had been worn for 6 months by the primary representative or it might've been a year. Is this true? Because I couldn't find anything besides you had to be the primary representative to wear the ribbon. If that's the case could a cadet just become a primary representative for a short period of time and have earned the ribbon or am I missing another piece of regulation that specifies how long a primary representative should be in that position.

Abby.L

Primary=ribbon.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

BraveRifles19D

It used to read "upon successful completion of the term" but I see that is no longer in there.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Generally it has to be awarded by the Senior member running the CAC, or the Wing DCP.

Mileage will vary.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on June 03, 2018, 07:58:35 PM
It used to read "upon successful completion of the term" but I see that is no longer in there.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I think somebody did the math and realized that it would be next to impossible to award the gold star under that stipulation. It would also be tough to award the silver one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Castle Bravo

So, does that mean there was a required time to be on the CAC to earn the ribbon permanently but now as long as you have been officially appointed as the primary CAC representative you can wear the ribbon forever? And if it is a wing representative you wear the bronze star forever as well?

Eclipse

Quote from: Castle Bravo on June 04, 2018, 02:35:04 AM
So, does that mean there was a required time to be on the CAC to earn the ribbon permanently but now as long as you have been officially appointed as the primary CAC representative you can wear the ribbon forever? And if it is a wing representative you wear the bronze star forever as well?

The ribbon is...

"...Awarded to all primary members of each cadet advisory council."

How and when it's awarded varies by Wing, so the only person who can answer these
questions is your CAC Senior Adviser or the Wing DCP.

(Looking back all the way to the 1998 version of 39-3, the verbiage appears to be the
same. Some Wings require(d) a complete or "successful" term (subjective to the approval authority).

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Check  CAPR 39-3 and your Wing Supplements for award criteria. All activity ribbons are awarded by the Wing Commander, but most are delegated down to Group and/or Squadron Commanders.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spam

Mac has good advice for you there.

Additional - where to find Supplements for your Wing - use the only approved location for them on the National web site:  https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/publications/approved-supplements-and-ois-by-region/.

Many Wings and Groups have obsolete and inaccurate old Supplements floating around on unmaintained web pages (we are all struggling to prune them, to update them even as National overhauls the clunky regs and manuals, and to post them properly and publicly). Some folks may even have issued operating instructions and supplements with the best of intent, but without having submitted them for approval. Best to go to the above site and check the only ones that matters - the approved and signed ones.

Cheers, (and thanks for your interest in CAC).
Spam

darkmatter

in my wing it is award to the primary CAC but is temporary until the successful completion of the CACs time

BraveRifles19D

Found this in 60-1.

7.7. Awards. During their term of office, primary representatives and CAC officers may wear a shoulder
cord (see Table 7.1). Shoulder cords must be of the same style and shade as that stocked for CAP by
Vanguard. Upon successful completion of their term of office, primary representatives and CAC officers
may wear the CAC ribbon, with the echelon commander's approval.

darkmatter

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on July 30, 2018, 01:48:16 AM
Upon successful completion of their term of office, primary representatives and CAC officers
may wear the CAC ribbon

The words CAC officers in this context makes me think that the ribbon can be award to senior members but I know it also state they can not earn the ribbon unless they have it from when they were cadets, regs using miss leading words sometimes. 8)

PHall

Quote from: darkmatter on July 30, 2018, 02:27:42 AM
Upon successful completion of their term of office, primary representatives and CAC officers
may wear the CAC ribbon

The words CAC officers in this context makes me think that the ribbon can be award to senior members but I know it also state they can not earn the ribbon unless they have it from when they were cadets, regs using miss leading words sometimes. 8)

Senior members are not CAC officers or representatives. They are Advisors. Thus they can't be awarded the ribbon.

SarDragon

Quote from: darkmatter on July 30, 2018, 02:27:42 AM
may wear the CAC ribbon

I believe that "officers" refers to the chairs at the various levels.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret