Scammers Target Military Families

Started by ELTHunter, June 01, 2007, 08:37:39 PM

ELTHunter

The following was excerpted from the DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report for 1 June.  I thought it might be of interest.

May 30, WTAE Channel 4 (PA) — Scammers targeting military families. Scam artists are
now calling military spouses, posing as representatives of the American Red Cross, telling them
their significant other has been badly hurt in Iraq and evacuated to Germany. The Red Cross
warns that the thieves then ask the spouses to confirm some information for the paperwork,
including names, dates of birth and Social Security numbers, all for the purpose of identity
theft. Thieves have posed as Red Cross employees before during natural disasters like
Hurricane Katrina, hoping to collect money. During wartime, the Red Cross only delivers
urgent messages to troops in the field, usually involving sick relatives.
Source: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/13414351/detail.htm l
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

IceNine

wasn't this same issue addressed after 9-11?  I vaguely remember the same type of situation and I thought I got an email through crossnet explaining what reps would and would not ask for etc.  All I can say is sick ---- (insert your favorite 4 letter word here), you'd figure if they can come up with a scheme like this they could develop a plan for a lucrative business...
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ZigZag911

If we can't reinstate flogging for such pond scum, how about public pillorying?

mikeylikey

This is a terrible problem in the military!  Family support/readiness groups on most AF/Army installations used to give out a neat flyer on who would contact them if thier family member were injured/killed while deployed.  Then, on AD most posts/bases have a Red Cross office that is the agency that makes all the contact and will send a rep to the family. 

Reserves also get the same benefit from the Red Cross as do AD members and families.  They are a great organization, and do not get enough praise! 

To those people that tried to scam these families........Instead of PRISON......they should get a one way plane ticket to thier choice of Iraq or Afghanistan. 
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

Make sure it is an area of contention.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 03, 2007, 05:22:03 PM
This is a terrible problem in the military!  Family support/readiness groups on most AF/Army installations used to give out a neat flyer on who would contact them if thier family member were injured/killed while deployed.  Then, on AD most posts/bases have a Red Cross office that is the agency that makes all the contact and will send a rep to the family. 

Reserves also get the same benefit from the Red Cross as do AD members and families.  They are a great organization, and do not get enough praise! 

Just so they also must wear a shirt that identifies them as American criminals.
To those people that tried to scam these families........Instead of PRISON......they should get a one way plane ticket to thier choice of Iraq or Afghanistan. 
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

Just so they also must wear a shirt identifying them as American criminals.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 05, 2007, 05:59:40 AM

Just so they also must wear a shirt identifying them as American criminals.

That would vary the reaction depending on interpretation...if you interpreted it as "I'm and American Criminal," they'd be welcomed with open arms.  I think you'd just need to put "I'm an American" to get the desired reaction unfortunately...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill