ELT/EPIRB inspections/education

Started by RiverAux, May 26, 2007, 12:02:18 AM

RiverAux

The latest issue of SARSCENE magazine http://www.nss.gc.ca/site/ss/magazine/vol16_2/index_e.asp had a short note saying that Korea reduced 406 MHz EPIRB false activations by 40% on passenger ships, 25% on ferries, and 24% on fishing ships.  This was done by intense inspections of EPIRBS in conjunction with the Korean Coast Guard. 

While having CAP conduct ELT inspections is a non-starter, a focused educational campaign would seem to be in order as would be a joint campaign with the CG Aux focusing on EPIRBs, which can much more easily be inspected -- and need it since no maintenance folks regularly look at them.  Unfortunately, the CG Aux vessel inspection program doesn't even check EPIRBs --- never understood why.  But having lived in an area with regular EPIRB missions, this is also a CAP issue and may be a way to reduce unneeded missions even further. 

SAR-EMT1

I would support something like this, however I might be mising something here:
check- batteries, switch, arial. activation system.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

I"m not sure what you're asking..

SAR-EMT1

How do we go about checking these items in an official manner?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

For EPIRBS it is extremely simple.  Ask the owner where it is, go look at it and the expiration date, test it if possible and tell the owner that the antenna is supposed to point down. 

For ELTs I don't see inspections as likely given that you have to dig into the aircraft to do that and ELTs do get looked at least every now and again during the plane's regular inspections.  However, owner education is possible.