Can a Chaplain wear the CDI badge if they have earned it?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, February 10, 2019, 02:32:17 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Question came up, can a Chaplain wear both, his Chaplain Pin, and the CDI badge as well on the Service Coat?

ßτε

As far as I know there is nothing prohibiting it. However it is my understanding that the tradition in the Chaplain Corps is that the CDI badge is not worn once the individual is appointed as a chaplain.

FallenTX

Let us just keep in mind that there is no badge for being a CDI.

It is a specialty track badge. For which the person wearing it would have to complete at least the technician rating of the CDI track, only part of which is being a CDI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brit_in_CAP

This question was asked elsewhere (Chaplain Corps FB page) and answered by a CDI who is now a Chaplain and has previously been the National IG (Col Ken Parris).  I'll look for the detail later but, in summary, Col Parris wrote that the specialty track badge can be worn on the Service Coat or on the shirt when appropriate, with other specialty badges.  It is, he went on, somewhat redundant but there was no prohibition.

The question in that case was on behalf of a CDI, now Chaplain, who had either the Senior or Master rating as a CDI (IIRC).

Eclipse

I disagree it's redundant, if anything, it should be required.

This is the same as saying the Operations Specialty is redundant for someone wearing wings.

Being a CAP Chaplain, per se, doesn't mean you have a clue about the goals or intentions of the
Cadet Program or the CDI program, in fact in many cases there are issues in that very vein.

The Chaplain's badge tells me you are clergy with an endorsement of your faith group.

The CDI badge tells me you should have a clue about CDI and CAP.

The above is not mutually assured.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Specialty badges are optional wear items, it's up to the wearer. However, wear of CAP Chaplain and Aviation Badges (wings) is mandatory.
So they have to wear their Chaplain insignia and they can wear their CDI badge if they wish. It's their call.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: PHall on February 11, 2019, 11:29:38 PM
Specialty badges are optional wear items, it's up to the wearer. However, wear of CAP Chaplain and Aviation Badges (wings) is mandatory.
So they have to wear their Chaplain insignia and they can wear their CDI badge if they wish. It's their call.
Better stated than the way I wrote it.

Eclipse's point is also very valid - the CDI badge demonstrates that the wearer does understand the program, which is not true of every Chaplain I have encountered.

ßτε

Just a note that chaplains cannot earn the CDI Specialty badge. One cannot be both a chaplain and a CDI.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: ßτε on February 12, 2019, 07:21:00 PM
Just a note that chaplains cannot earn the CDI Specialty badge. One cannot be both a chaplain and a CDI.

True; however, one can start as a CDI and become a Chaplain after (with the appropriate qualifications).

But Mr. Eszett is on the right track. To earn the CDI badge, you must be assigned as a CDI for at least 6 months (Technician).

Is there a regulation that states that you cannot be assigned as both Chaplain and CDI simultaneously?

Fester

If Chaplain insignia are mandatory, what do they do on the Polo where nothing, save the Crest, is mandatory?  :D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Eclipse

I see any requirement to wear the Chaplain's badge on the Aviator White shirt, which frankly
seems like an oversight since it's mandatory on other corporate variants.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2019, 07:34:20 AM

I see any requirement to wear the Chaplain's badge on the Aviator White shirt, which frankly
seems like an oversight since it's mandatory on other corporate variants.

It is not an oversight, but rather a purpose.  We know that the White Shirt is a minimum basic uniform that is required to be owned by Senior Members not wishing to wear the USAF-style.  As such:

QuoteCorporate-style uniforms are intended to provide more flexibility in wear,
and the number of badges classified as "mandatory" are very limited to minimize required cost and
complexity for members.

It is why the wear of the normally mandated Chaplain and Aviation badges are only optional.  These are required on the Blue BDUs as that uniform is technically optional, while the White Aviator shirt is mandatory.   

PHall

Quote from: Fester on February 13, 2019, 06:46:59 AM

If Chaplain insignia are mandatory, what do they do on the Polo where nothing, save the Crest, is mandatory?  :D

Ask the National Uniform Committee. They're the one's who wrote CAPM 39-1.

Chappie

When I served as a Chaplain (so long ago 🤣), I worn the metal Chaplain insignia on my white corporate aviator, USAF-style blue shirt, service jacket and corporate blazer... the embrodiered on my Mess Dress, BDU/ABU, and Polo.  I also held a Master Rating in Cadet Programs Specialty Track and TLC Advanced to assure others (and myself) that I had a solid grasp of understanding of Cadet Programs and Character Development.   Since both Chaplains and CDIs are officially appointed...if I began as a CDI and then became a Chaplain, I would only wear the Chaplain insignia.   The star (bronze or silver) on Leadership Ribbon indicates the rating level in the specialty track.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

TheSkyHornet

Just curious, Chaps, where/how would it be embroidered on Mess?

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 08:43:39 PM

He's talking about the embroidered insignia available for Mess Dress. It's not embroidered directly to the jacket itself but is embroidered to a piece of cloth that is sewn on the jacket. Please refer to CAPM 39-1 for more info.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on February 13, 2019, 09:30:54 PM

He's talking about the embroidered insignia available for Mess Dress. It's not embroidered directly to the jacket itself but is embroidered to a piece of cloth that is sewn on the jacket. Please refer to CAPM 39-1 for more info.

Not tracking.

I reviewed 39-1.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 11:05:16 PM

Not tracking.

I reviewed 39-1.

I refer you to paragraphs 4.1.1.3.3, 4.1.1.3.4, 4.1.1.3.4.1 and 4.1.1.3.4.2. Please read the entire paragraph.

supertigerCH

perhaps he is talking about some type of bullion version of the chaplain's emblem?

(since bullion badges [& other insignia] are usually sewn onto very ceremonial [including mess dress] types of uniforms)?

Oh, I see he has posted paragraph numbers now...

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on February 13, 2019, 11:18:58 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 11:05:16 PM

Not tracking.

I reviewed 39-1.

I refer you to paragraphs 4.1.1.3.3, 4.1.1.3.4, 4.1.1.3.4.1 and 4.1.1.3.4.2. Please read the entire paragraph.

Ohhhhhh, gotcha gotcha gotcha gotcha gotcha.

I completely misunderstood the meaning of "bullion." I thought that was an equivalent for subdued/brushed metallic. I didn't realize that had anything to do with embroidery.  :angel:

As you were.